HELP PLS- one way ticket Jan 2018

Ashley Miller

My boyfriend and I have had working visas accepted and booked a one way flight to Melbourne arrive the start of January 2018. We will have approx 5000 Australian dollars each. We have no accomodation booked as of yet as we are looking for some advice on where to stay. We are planning on staying in Melbourne for 3 months are looking to secure a job within 3 weeks or arriving.

I am hoping someone can give us advice in what to do for accommodation as we are setting for 3 months we think this is too long to stay in a hostel? We are happy to share an apartment with another couple if this is a common thing to do but need advice on safest way to go about this? Also location advice would be great! 

We are also looking for advice on how realistic we are being expecting a job within 3 weeks. Both have bar experience and have both worked in a bank for the last 4 years so plenty customer service experience. Is it worth our time registering with agencies before we arrive? We are open to take on any work at first and will apply for others if the first job doesn't suit us. 

Any help is really appreciated!

Good luck on your adventures! I always think as much preparation you can do before you arrive is definitely worth it. When I was in my 20's/early 30's I stayed in a hostel that had a "long termer" room with others who were also there long term (more than 4 weeks). It was 'comfier' with different bathroom facilities. It might be an option for you to look into. However, there is always the chance you might move about and you might not want to be tied into anything too long term. Probably best to choose a city/place and book a hostel for at least a week / ten days to get a feel for the area and make a decision from therein.  You most likely will meet others who are in exactly the same boat who may wish to rent - however tread carefully - I guess putting things in your name (someone will tell me if you visa's allow this or not) is tricky with people who are effectively strangers I guess.

You may find agencies won't entertain your applications / CV's before you arrive, however, why not closer to the time. Again before I went on my travels I emailled my CV to a number of agencies and one took me on to work in their agency - I stayed there for about 4 months until I moved on. Your visa most likely won't allow you to have one job the entire time anyway.

Hope you have a great time!

If you have any intent on doing a second year, then I would get your regional work done asap. 

Gumtree is good for house shares. 

Work, generally is easy in Mebourne, particularly for things like bar work. However, January is an odd month and many business don't recruit during it as many people take annual leave - it is mid summer. 

• Like 1