What's Brisbane really like?

On 11/07/2017 at 19:03, Ozzie said:

So we're now moving to Brisbane due to work. Bit of an abrupt change of plans but all good.

Clothes wise - I've heard a lot it's humid all year round with a slight dip in 'winter' months. I take it we won't be needing any suit jackets/work wool tops/jumpers/stockings?

Bedding - no duvets?

Also, I'll have a read through the Brisbane section, however any advice about nice family friendly areas to live that are no more than 45 min commutable (by train/bus) would be appreciated.

All advice appreciated, thanks.

2 hours ago, Lou Dower said:

If you are looking for a maximum 45 minute commute, you could look at the bayside! Wynnum and Manly have a lot going for them and seem to get better year on year. Same as any suburb in that there are good and bad pockets but I just love walking down the Esplanade and there are some lovely wine bars, restaurants there now.

I agree with Lou entirely and I don’t live there yet. Here heading back into Manly in early February.

841A81B4-3E77-422C-A5FD-C4590CC70488.jpeg

Funny thing about winter in Brisbane. You start living in denial that it could actually be cold, and just go out with a shirt and shorts, on the basis that it will warm up later. So even though it’s 6 degrees, it can’t last. Sometimes it does, but not that often. I have 30 year old jumpers I bought in Canberra that get out once every few years. You sure ain’t going to wear out your warm clothes in Brisbane. So our winters are glorious, there are about 6 weeks of hot humid weather around Jan-Feb, but you can feel sorry for all those folks in the southern capitals that have extreme hot weather which is rare here. Brisbane - great choice!

On 11/29/2017 at 00:59, HibiscusDreams said:

Don't give up on something worth fighting for. Same with me and my s/o all the way downunder. Had to save like crazy to get over just to meet up when we have - been crossing fingers and praying for the plebecite/survey/whatevs to go our way, no saving like crazy to relocate and cough up for visas. But we belong together so never give up on that, and we are getting closer to what we want bit by bit :) So yep,  fight for Brissie like she's the love of your life! 

Thank you! Actually we have finally had it to Brisbane, been here over a month now and loving it. Fingers crossed for you too and hopefully you will be together soon :D

On 11/29/2017 at 08:04, Lou Dower said:

If you are looking for a maximum 45 minute commute, you could look at the bayside! Wynnum and Manly have a lot going for them and seem to get better year on year. Same as any suburb in that there are good and bad pockets but I just love walking down the Esplanade and there are some lovely wine bars, restaurants there now.

We love Manly too, in fact we been there last night for the movie in the park event and stayed there till 10pm or something, there was a beautiful breeze too! :D

Image may contain: night, sky and outdoor

Edited by B1K3R

On 11/07/2017 at 10:03, Ozzie said:

So we're now moving to Brisbane due to work. Bit of an abrupt change of plans but all good.

Clothes wise - I've heard a lot it's humid all year round with a slight dip in 'winter' months. I take it we won't be needing any suit jackets/work wool tops/jumpers/stockings?

Bedding - no duvets?

Also, I'll have a read through the Brisbane section, however any advice about nice family friendly areas to live that are no more than 45 min commutable (by train/bus) would be appreciated.

All advice appreciated, thanks.

You will very much need your duvets and cold weather clothing. Definitely not humid all year round, it's uncomfortable for 3 or 4 months and nights especially can be cold for a couple of months. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2017 at 08:04, Lou Dower said:

Thanks @Lou Dower

Have been looking in the Bayside to move to actually! Love the look of Manly and surrounds. Do you know the 'bad pockets' ? We're not that familiar with it yet.

Just now, Gbye grey sky said:

I expect you will once you acclimatise.  I have been glad of the duvet the past couple of nights for sure.  Brrrr.

Just a sheet so far. Some nights just pj's with the fan on. It's funny, 22 degrees today and we saw lots of folk in big jackets and scarves!

1 minute ago, Ozzie said:

Just a sheet so far. Some nights just pj's with the fan on. It's funny, 22 degrees today and we saw lots of folk in big jackets and scarves!

20 here and wet so it felt colder than that.  I had Sweatshirt, long trousers, socks and shoes.  Full winter attire.  In fact winter is normally warmer than today because it is sunny most of the time.

Cold snap maybe over.  Expecting mid 20s the rest of the week so can get the shorts out again lol.

People do your research and decide a suburb for yourselves. 

We are in Bowen Hills so very central and little ve the convenience, facilities and fact we go against the traffic. I walk to work and my wife has 4 train stops, home by 6 and evening to ourselves.

The Bruce, Pacific and Western Freeways are awful and avoid including them in your commute. 

The bayside is a long way out served by a poor road so you won't visit the city socially that often. 

It all depends on your priorities as to where you end up living.

Regarding weather, Brisbane is great, summer is warm with over night temps staying quite high. Winter is less warm and cold overnight. Most properties are equipped to deal with the heat well, cold less well.

• Like 1

This forum forms part of my research, thanks for your input. We visited Bowen Hills the other week, some newish apartments that looked good, thought the area was a wee bitty bit industrial? Bayside is a long way out I do agree to that! However, I would rather be near the coast (Manly etc.) for lovely walks after work / breakfast on the patio and be there on the weekends than have a shorter commute. We've taken the train in and out in peak hour to get an idea, thought it was ok, albeit it it was only one trip each way. I agree with the comment about properties dealing with heat and cooler temps. It's been lovely so far. Thanks for input.

14 hours ago, Ozzie said:

This forum forms part of my research, thanks for your input. We visited Bowen Hills the other week, some newish apartments that looked good, thought the area was a wee bitty bit industrial? Bayside is a long way out I do agree to that! However, I would rather be near the coast (Manly etc.) for lovely walks after work / breakfast on the patio and be there on the weekends than have a shorter commute. We've taken the train in and out in peak hour to get an idea, thought it was ok, albeit it it was only one trip each way. I agree with the comment about properties dealing with heat and cooler temps. It's been lovely so far. Thanks for input.

I am a big fan of Wynnum / Manly, and it is a lovely area, and we have been here 14 months after the obligatory period in the Brisbane Holiday Village.

The train is not great, and although I would be happy to cycle to the CBD I am conscious that I am confident in traffic, etc. and would not recommend as standard.

In terms of weather, we do use our air con, but not so much as we are near the esplanade, and windows open usually suffices.  Personally I would struggle moving into an inner suburb now as I am very happy and acclimatised where I am, which happened oddly quickly.

There are a lot of expats in the area which can make it easier to get involved in plenty of activities; for my wife and I sports, for my parents bowls.

Best of luck, and hope you find the right spot for you!