What's Brisbane really like?

So we're now moving to Brisbane due to work. Bit of an abrupt change of plans but all good.

Clothes wise - I've heard a lot it's humid all year round with a slight dip in 'winter' months. I take it we won't be needing any suit jackets/work wool tops/jumpers/stockings?

Bedding - no duvets?

Also, I'll have a read through the Brisbane section, however any advice about nice family friendly areas to live that are no more than 45 min commutable (by train/bus) would be appreciated.

All advice appreciated, thanks.

53 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Not at all humid in winter.  Dry, mainly sunny and pleasantly warm in the daytime from June to September.  Temperatures fall to 6C - 10C at night so mornings are normally cold.  Jumpers and good duvets essential.

Thanks @Gbye grey sky I had been misinformed clearly! Will definitely pack our newish duvet and a few winter clothes. Thanks.

What about the hot summer months - what do people wear to work? Really light shirts and trousers/skirts?

Many people wear suits to work, both men and women. Air conned offices are often freezing so you need several layers! And if you work in government (as a huge percentage of Brisbanites do) or in big business, then wearing a suit is often expected, regardless of the weather. 

Duvets? definitely, nights can be pretty chilly in winter, especially out towards Ipswich and the west, and many houses aren't well insulated. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nemesis said:

Many people wear suits to work, both men and women. Air conned offices are often freezing so you need several layers! And if you work in government (as a huge percentage of Brisbanites do) or in big business, then wearing a suit is often expected, regardless of the weather. 

Duvets? definitely, nights can be pretty chilly in winter, especially out towards Ipswich and the west, and many houses aren't well insulated. 

Thanks @Nemesis

3 hours ago, Ozzie said:

any advice about nice family friendly areas to live that are no more than 45 min commutable (by train/bus) would be appreciated.

Click on my suburb below. Moved 4 times but always within this suburb as I've lived here 22 yrs and love it. Others may come up with info about theirs

As others have said, don't be fooled by what others who have never lived here say about the climate. Winter days are nice and warm but the winter nights/early mornings/evenings can some times be cuttingly cold so hang onto those coats and jumpers. Also, if you're into the outdoors and go camping or just a weekend away in a lodge somewhere in winter, temperatures inland can be as much as -10d less than the coast and if you're camping or lodging atop one of the mountains in winter, as I often do, you can add another -3d less to that

Edited by Johndoe

1 minute ago, Johndoe said:

Click on my suburb below. Moved 4 times but always within this suburb as I've lived here 22 yrs and love it. Others may come up with info about theirs

As others have said, don't be fooled by what others who have never lived here say about the climate. Winter days are nice and warm but the winter nights/early mornings/evenings can some times be cuttingly cold so hang onto those coats and jumpers. Also, if you're into the outdoors and go camping or just a weekend away in a lodge somewhere in winter, temperatures inland can be as much as -10d less than the coast and if you're camping or lodging atop one of the mountains in winter, as I often do, you can add another -3d less to that

Many thanks @Johndoe

I am from up North (UK) originally but I have acclimatised really quickly. It is really cold in the winter  - I wore scarf and gloves this morning to work and have a log burner going now. You definitely need to bring the winter woollies ;-) 

Brisbane is a fabulous city. So many wonderful suburbs. Are you planning to go Northside or Southside?

Im a northener, been here 10 years and freeze in winter, i have since our first winter here. During the day its not too bad but come 5pm the temps drop loads, mornings can be chilly and foggy. July and August seem to be the worse and even though we still sit outisde at night ,i have long pants, ugg boots and a hoody on,,,, along with the patio heater,lol.

Cal x

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Im a northener, been here 10 years and freeze in winter, i have since our first winter here. During the day its not too bad but come 5pm the temps drop loads, mornings can be chilly and foggy. July and August seem to be the worse and even though we still sit outisde at night ,i have long pants, ugg boots and a hoody on,,,, along with the patio heater,lol.

Cal x

That sounds lovely to me. I like a mix of warm and cold - much better than being told 'it's hot and humid all year round' in Brisbane. I'm so glad it's not!

2 hours ago, Peachy said:

I am from up North (UK) originally but I have acclimatised really quickly. It is really cold in the winter  - I wore scarf and gloves this morning to work and have a log burner going now. You definitely need to bring the winter woollies ;-) 

Brisbane is a fabulous city. So many wonderful suburbs. Are you planning to go Northside or Southside?

Excellent to hear you like it so much! I'm not sure about whether we'll be North or South. We're just looking into suburbs now. At least one of us will be commuting to the city centre or CBD as I hear it's called.

Great I can keep my woollies. I purchased some lovely scarves and a new jacket end of last year so am chuffed I will be wearing it again soon. If they kept me warm over very northern Scottish winters I'm sure I'll be fine.

Thanks for your input. Any info you think might be useful I would love to hear it if you get time, cheers!

31 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

That sounds lovely to me. I like a mix of warm and cold - much better than being told 'it's hot and humid all year round' in Brisbane. I'm so glad it's not!

Hehehe...I was also so worried before I had moved to Brissy....as personally I really hate humidity and kills me!

But it's not that bad at all, and it's only a humid in the months of Summer. It's nothing compared to many Asian countries like Singapore or southern European countries in my opinion. Apart from that, there are many pools and lots of sea where to cool down in Brissy :D Ac is in many places too. So it was all good at work. Smart trousers and shirt...depends on your job of course.

I've have never been in a place in my whole life with such a wonderful Winter! Sunny and crisp, fresh....it's just beautiful. Of course I am talking from my own perspective as people are different. Like others said, in the morning it does get a bit chilly, a light jacket/sweater and in the evening the same. It then depends on the housing, if it has good insulation/heating. At night, if you dont have these, it will be quite cold.

Edited by B1K3R
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, B1K3R said:

Hehehe...I was also so worried before I had moved to Brissy....as personally I really hate humidity and kills me!

But it's not that bad at all, and it's only a humid in the months of Summer. It's nothing compared to many Asian countries like Singapore or southern European countries in my opinion. Apart from that, there are many pools and lots of sea where to cool down in Brissy :D Ac is in many places too. So it was all good at work. Smart trousers and shirt...depends on your job of course.

I've have never been in a place in my whole life with such a wonderful Winter! Sunny and crisp, fresh....it's just beautiful. Of course I am talking from my own perspective as people are different. Like others said, in the morning it does get a bit chilly, a light jacket/sweater and in the evening the same. It then depends on the housing, if it has good insulation/heating. At night, if you dont have these, it will be quite cold.

I don't mind humidity - IF I'm on holidays by a pool with a Singapore Sling. That's about it :-)  In all honesty if it's just over the summer months I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm still smiling about the people who said over and over 'it's hot and horribly humid ALL YEAR ROUND you'll hate it'.....I actually like the cold, as long as there is guaranteed heat over summer. Scotland, as beautiful and gorgeous as it is and as much as I love this country, just doesn't have the 'guaranteed' part.

Love your description of winter 'sunny, crisp and fresh'. I remember our visits to Perth in winter like that.  I'm really pleased things are working out for you @B1K3R How long have you been out?

8 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

I don't mind humidity - IF I'm on holidays by a pool with a Singapore Sling. That's about it :-)  In all honesty if it's just over the summer months I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm still smiling about the people who said over and over 'it's hot and horribly humid ALL YEAR ROUND you'll hate it'.....I actually like the cold, as long as there is guaranteed heat over summer. Scotland, as beautiful and gorgeous as it is and as much as I love this country, just doesn't have the 'guaranteed' part.

Love your description of winter 'sunny, crisp and fresh'. I remember our visits to Perth in winter like that.  I'm really pleased things are working out for you @B1K3R How long have you been out?

Hehehe..yeah, one thing I have learnt is that people have different perspectives...what is nice and warm for one is boiling to another and whats freezing is fresh for someone else :P So first hand experience is the best,otherwise it's just someones else opinion/guidance :)

Actually, sadly, things had not worked out for me. It was a dream come true, heaven on earth to me, but due to family reasons I had to leave Australia after 1 year. Now, after 6 years I'm trying all I can do in my power to get back as that's where I belong. Though visa has expired last year and it's terribly difficult for us to get an RRV as I need a job offer and that is quite hard to get from oversees...

But, I never give up, maybe the universe will conspire towards my wish any time soon ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, B1K3R said:

Hehehe..yeah, one thing I have learnt is that people have different perspectives...what is nice and warm for one is boiling to another and whats freezing is fresh for someone else :P So first hand experience is the best,otherwise it's just someones else opinion/guidance :)

Actually, sadly, things had not worked out for me. It was a dream come true, heaven on earth to me, but due to family reasons I had to leave Australia after 1 year. Now, after 6 years I'm trying all I can do in my power to get back as that's where I belong. Though visa has expired last year and it's terribly difficult for us to get an RRV as I need a job offer and that is quite hard to get from oversees...

But, I never give up, maybe the universe will conspire towards my wish any time soon ;)

Golly. Sounds like a tough time for you. Hope all works out, as we say here 'Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye'. We didn't think we would have a job offer before leaving also. OH is involved in quite a niche field. However, somehow managed to make it happen. I remain still very surprised about that.

I know everyone's story is different. All the best. If you're really really keen and know it's the best place for you, don't give up - turn over every stone. And over again if necessary. Good luck!

Edited by Guest

With regards to the humidity. Feb and March are the worst but all the other months are comfortable. These are the only months that I use the aircon as I can stand the heat but humidity pees me off. That said, it's only about 6 weeks of it.

Edit to add: June to Aug can be a bit of a pain if you have eczema or other dry skin complaints so keep moisturiser handy. I always get "scurf" in my scalp and eyebrows these months but never get it any other time

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun   Annual
relative humidity icon Relative Humidity (%) 65 62 64 64 66 65 67 72 73 70 68 66   66.8
dewpoint temperature icon Average Dew Point Temperature °C ( °F) 8.5 (47.3) 8.7 (47.6) 11.4 (52.5) 13.6 (56.5) 16 (60.8) 17.3 (63.1) 18.5 (65.4) 19.6 (67.2) 18.7 (65.7) 16 (60.8) 12.7 (54.9) 9.8 (49.6)   14.2 (57.6)
humidity interpretation icon Interpretation A bit dry A bit dry Very comfort-
able
Comfort-
able
Ok Ok Humid Humid Humid Comfort-
able
Comfort-
able
A bit dry   Comfort-
able
Edited by Johndoe

Commutable, rent is expensive within the 8km circle around Brissy.  Not too bad further out but then you hit the Rhyl like areas for a fair distance, no offence to anyone who lives there, but Eagleby, Woodridge, Beenleigh, some areas of Logan.  You can go inland, travel in can be shit though.  From Ormeau down is ok but an hour on the train, but close to beach and theme parks.  I hate the CBD as after a day working in it I want to not look at it.  I work on the coast now which after 7 years is awesome.  As everyone has said, the longer here the more of a weather slut you become, I love the heat, this time of year tho I find it cold in the mornings and my office is baltic.  The lights turn off at about 51pam which I hate, sun goes down in about 15 minutes, the quicker they allow us to trial daylight savings the better (poor cows).  Winter clothes definitely, no tie for the office, usually shirt and trousers, too warm in summer for suit jackets.  You could look to live north of Brissy, just avoid the Bruce highway and the train can take forever depending on how far you go up.  There are nice places around Brissy tho too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kissofthegypsy said:

Commutable, rent is expensive within the 8km circle around Brissy.  Not too bad further out but then you hit the Rhyl like areas for a fair distance, no offence to anyone who lives there, but Eagleby, Woodridge, Beenleigh, some areas of Logan.  You can go inland, travel in can be shit though.  From Ormeau down is ok but an hour on the train, but close to beach and theme parks.  I hate the CBD as after a day working in it I want to not look at it.  I work on the coast now which after 7 years is awesome.  As everyone has said, the longer here the more of a weather slut you become, I love the heat, this time of year tho I find it cold in the mornings and my office is baltic.  The lights turn off at about 51pam which I hate, sun goes down in about 15 minutes, the quicker they allow us to trial daylight savings the better (poor cows).  Winter clothes definitely, no tie for the office, usually shirt and trousers, too warm in summer for suit jackets.  You could look to live north of Brissy, just avoid the Bruce highway and the train can take forever depending on how far you go up.  There are nice places around Brissy tho too.

Cheers @kissofthegypsy helpful info. When you say 'but then you hit the Rhyl like areas for a fair distance, no offence to anyone who lives there, but Eagleby, Woodridge, Beenleigh, some areas of Logan." does this mean stay away?  

Yep, I would agree with kissofthegypsy on those areas being not first choice for moving to. Generally speaking everywhere has very nice pockets and then less desirable areas, but if you are moving over, you might as well start with a nicer pocket if you can. If you decide to go 'Northside' post on here and I can advise on some good suburbs / areas to avoid, depending on what sort of area you are looking for. 

Also agree re Bruce Highway - if you are working in CBD you will need to set off before dawn to get in on time ;-) Buses and trains are an excellent way to commute if you can. The Brisbane suburbs summary on PIO is a really good place to start. Then have a look at real estate. For example Paddington is lovely - rental is quite pricey but manageable but it is out of most people's budgets for purchase. I looked at rental + purchase prices so if you end up staying, you can afford to buy where you have rented. Places like Toowong look really nice on paper - good traffic links, some lovely houses, but it is a nightmare on a morning - traffic is at a standstill unless you go down the backstreets. 

• 4 months later...

I would look at some of the 8km/9km suburbs on the west side of Brisbane - Sherwood, Oxley, Corinda, Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Fig Tree Pocket would all be within your commute time and are lovely suburbs with nice houses. Suburbs near a train line would make a great difference to your commute.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 09:50, B1K3R said:

Don't give up on something worth fighting for. Same with me and my s/o all the way downunder. Had to save like crazy to get over just to meet up when we have - been crossing fingers and praying for the plebecite/survey/whatevs to go our way, no saving like crazy to relocate and cough up for visas. But we belong together so never give up on that, and we are getting closer to what we want bit by bit :) So yep,  fight for Brissie like she's the love of your life! 

• Like 1

If you are looking for a maximum 45 minute commute, you could look at the bayside! Wynnum and Manly have a lot going for them and seem to get better year on year. Same as any suburb in that there are good and bad pockets but I just love walking down the Esplanade and there are some lovely wine bars, restaurants there now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1