17 and moving to Australia

lakshi

My family is moving to Australia august/September 2017 to Queensland and I turned 17 last mach(2017). I am really confused about what year I would be there and how I am supposed to complete school and get into uni. Can Please someone help me? 

Wow, that's a big thing for a 17 year old. Are you moving from the uk? Is there no way you could stay and complete your A levels in the uk? Swapping schooling at 17 is not going to be easy.

From your date of birth I think you'd be in year 12 this current academic year (runs Jan-dec). It is very common in private schools here to drop back a year, or even 2, so if your family are able to pay for your education, that would definitely be your best bet. I know it's hard dropping back but really, over half my sons class are over a year older than him, so you wouldn't be the odd one out. Also, the cutoff for age is end June so you'd be young in your year anyway.

I'm not sure about university costs, but suspect you may have to pay as an international student, which can be astronomically expensive. Are your parents going to have PR? Can they finance your further education?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Wow, that's a big thing for a 17 year old. Are you moving from the uk? Is there no way you could stay and complete your A levels in the uk? Swapping schooling at 17 is not going to be easy.

From your date of birth I think you'd be in year 12 this current academic year (runs Jan-dec). It is very common in private schools here to drop back a year, or even 2, so if your family are able to pay for your education, that would definitely be your best bet. I know it's hard dropping back but really, over half my sons class are over a year older than him, so you wouldn't be the odd one out. Also, the cutoff for age is end June so you'd be young in your year anyway.

I'm not sure about university costs, but suspect you may have to pay as an international student, which can be astronomically expensive. Are your parents going to have PR? Can they finance your further education?

Yes I am moving from the UK and we also have the choice of staying but it is better for us to move.And my parents are expecting to get the PR and it is a bit doubtful if they can fully support me at uni... but I guess i can get students loan or a scholarship.  

But what do you think about the idea of an apprenticeship or an apprenticeship degree that I can take when I move there?

You'd be better staying until you get your A levels rather than trying to slot into the final two years of whichever state you may be going to (stay behind when your parents go if necessary). This is going to be important if you go over initially  on a temporary visa because you could well find yourself back in UK without reasonable qualifications if you had to renter the uk system. Add to that, the charges for school education can be quite costly for temp visa holders - depends on state though.

competition for apprenticeship positions is fierce and you won't get an apprenticeship anyway if you are temporary, you stand more chance as a pR but they prefer citizens.

if you're not a citizen when it comes to uni you are going to pay more but recently the rules re PRs changed so that you no longer get the subsidised places but you can now access loans to pay for tuitiin

You can look on the University of Queensland website for an idea of costs, and entry requirements. 

The Aussie syllabus is very different to the UK and you won't be able to just slot in to your usual year group. 

In your situation, if your education is going well in the uk, I would strongly consider staying until next year to get your A levels finished.

If your parents don't have PR yet, it may be months anyway before they have approval. You can always activate your visa with a visit and would hopefully then still have time to finish your studies here before moving over. You'd only be apart from family for a few months.

I'm not sure what would happen to your visa if you became non dependent and started work in Australia. Your parents may need to speak to a migration agent.

We moved to Oz last month, have just moved to QLD. My son is the same age as you (Jan 2000). He comes over next week for the 6 week school holidays and is then heading  back to the UK at the end of August to finish his 2nd year of A-levels. He was adamant he didn't want to go back to 'school' if we moved here. I'm lucky that he's got my parents to live with there. He's coming back out next year, once he's completed his A-levels to do uni here. I agree that 17 is a difficult age to move and this is best for my son but may not be what's right for you. All the best! 

• Like 2

I agree with what everyone has posted and it's really important to know that even with PR you will pay international fees for university which will be very high. Lots think that if they have PR they will pay domestic fees but that's not true.   What saddens  me about this post is it shouldn't be you worrying about this and trying to find out what and how you can slot in and make it work.   Your parents have surely looked into all this and ensured it will all be ok for you and that they have the necessary funds for you to finish your education or at least found out you can get student finance/loans etc.  They should be reassuring you that you will be able to do A, B and C etc and all will be fine. I think you need to speak to them and tell them your concerns.  

i wish you the very best of luck.

One of the things worth asking is are you sure your family are moving in the time frame you think? That would be unusual and when visas are granted they come with two dates. The first is validation, which means everyone has to make a visit to Australia within 12 months of the police or medical checks (which ever is earlier). The second date states they most make the move within five years of the visa being granted. 

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I agree with what everyone has posted and it's really important to know that even with PR you will pay international fees for university which will be very high. Lots think that if they have PR they will pay domestic fees but that's not true.   What saddens  me about this post is it shouldn't be you worrying about this and trying to find out what and how you can slot in and make it work.   Your parents have surely looked into all this and ensured it will all be ok for you and that they have the necessary funds for you to finish your education or at least found out you can get student finance/loans etc.  They should be reassuring you that you will be able to do A, B and C etc and all will be fine. I think you need to speak to them and tell them your concerns.  

i wish you the very best of luck.

This is incorrect.  People with PR visas pay domestic fees - relevant page from the University of Adelaide http://www.adelaide.edu.au/student/finance/domestic/

At the moment PR visa holders and New Zealand citizens are not eligible for HECs loans so have to pay the fees upfront, but only have to pay the student contribution.  There is a bill in progress (that I don't think has been passed yet but could be wrong) to change this so that people with PR visas will no longer be eligible for commonwealth funding so will have to pay full domestic fees (not international) but will be able to access HECs type loans to pay for them.

People in Australia on a temporary visa (eg 457) are classed as international students, have to pay international fees and do not have access to HECs loans.  This is not changing with the new bill.

15 minutes ago, NicF said:

This is incorrect.  People with PR visas pay domestic fees - relevant page from the University of Adelaide http://www.adelaide.edu.au/student/finance/domestic/

At the moment PR visa holders and New Zealand citizens are not eligible for HECs loans so have to pay the fees upfront, but only have to pay the student contribution.  There is a bill in progress (that I don't think has been passed yet but could be wrong) to change this so that people with PR visas will no longer be eligible for commonwealth funding so will have to pay full domestic fees (not international) but will be able to access HECs type loans to pay for them.

People in Australia on a temporary visa (eg 457) are classed as international students, have to pay international fees and do not have access to HECs loans.  This is not changing with the new bill.

Second this, Tulip you need to check your facts.  Although domestic fees are considerable higher than commonwealth places they are less than international fees.

I do apologise, I was sure that was the case but it must have been the paying for them upfront that I was thinking of.  I remember helping someone look into it last year and it was out of the question but as I say, it must have been the need to find the money upfront without access to loans that was the big problem.   Lets hope the parent has ensured that this students transition is able to run smoothly as its hard enough moving at that age, they do not need the added worry of what they can and can't do.  

• Like 1