Any primary school teachers applying for 489 visa

Anua

Hello all

I'm a primary school teacher. My PGCE is with French, which is what Victoria are looking for. My application was rejected but I now have an agent helping me and I'm going to reapply. I'm looking to live in a regional area. Does anyone have any advice about the whole process, applying for jobs etc? I've passed the IELTS and have my Victorian registration card. Just need the visa.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Hi Anua,

I'm a Primary School Teacher from the UK. I did a primary PGCE and am looking into the 489 visa sponsored by Tasmania. I'm not having any luck with Migration Lawyers, one told me that its impossible for me to get the 489,  whilst another told me it was easy to get but I would not be entitled to medicare and children's' school fees. :S feeling confused now!!!

I have previously done the IELTS and a skills assessment but they have expired now so need to get these done. I've looked into registering with the Tasmanian teacher registration Dept. looks a little complicated at the moment, need to research a little more. 

Did they give you a reason for rejection and if you don't mind me asking which agent are you using?  

2 hours ago, Fatimah said:

Hi Anua,

I'm a Primary School Teacher from the UK. I did a primary PGCE and am looking into the 489 visa sponsored by Tasmania. I'm not having any luck with Migration Lawyers, one told me that its impossible for me to get the 489,  whilst another told me it was easy to get but I would not be entitled to medicare and children's' school fees. :S feeling confused now!!!

I have previously done the IELTS and a skills assessment but they have expired now so need to get these done. I've looked into registering with the Tasmanian teacher registration Dept. looks a little complicated at the moment, need to research a little more. 

Did they give you a reason for rejection and if you don't mind me asking which agent are you using?  

Try using a registered migration agent instead of a lawyer, several good ones on this site.

There does seem to be a lot of conflicting information out there. I originally applied for a different visa. They said I didn't meet the requirements for that visa despite me getting registered as a teacher etc. They said to try a different visa type. It all seems a bit impossible at the moment. I'm using immigration 2oz. My agents suggested Tasmania but said I'd need a job offer. I don't know how likely it is to get a job off. It's so complicated!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

9 hours ago, Anua said:

Hello all

I'm a primary school teacher. My PGCE is with French, which is what Victoria are looking for. My application was rejected but I now have an agent helping me and I'm going to reapply. I'm looking to live in a regional area. Does anyone have any advice about the whole process, applying for jobs etc? I've passed the IELTS and have my Victorian registration card. Just need the visa.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Why was the application rejected? 

B

They said i didn't meet the requirements for that visa. My agent said declaring that I have a friend in Queensland went against me. It just seems to be a lottery. I passed all the test I had to do and got all my skills assessed but it seemed to make no difference. I'm going to keep trying though.

6 hours ago, Anua said:

They said i didn't meet the requirements for that visa. My agent said declaring that I have a friend in Queensland went against me. It just seems to be a lottery. I passed all the test I had to do and got all my skills assessed but it seemed to make no difference. I'm going to keep trying though.

Without knowing what visa you applied for no-one can say why you didn't qualify for it, but if it was a 189 then I don't think primary teachers are currently on the list for it. Its not a lottery, you have to meet all the requirements for your particular visa. Even if you pass the skills assessment, and are registered/licenced, then if the job is not on the skills list for that visa, you can't apply.

And if you have an agent dealing with the application for you then you need to find out from them the actual reason for rejection so you can ensure they deal with that before you reapply. To say you were rejected because you have a friend in  Queensland is just crazy, that is not a legitimate reason for a visa refusal. 

• Like 1

I checked before applying and my occupation was on the list. It's too complicated to go into in a short post that's why I tried to condense everything. My agent is looking into it. In MY opinion it does feel like a lottery.

They wrote and told me that a friend in Queensland was one of the reasons. They said I should go and live there instead. In fact I had to write a letter saying why I didn't want to live in Queensland, which does seem a little, to use your words, crazy.

10 minutes ago, Anua said:

They wrote and told me that a friend in Queensland was one of the reasons. They said I should go and live there instead. In fact I had to write a letter saying why I didn't want to live in Queensland, which does seem a little, to use your words, crazy.

If they had actually submitted an application for you and it got rejected, there would be more to it than that. DIBP would not reject a visa purely because you have a friend in another state! Maybe it was an application for State Sponsorship by one of the states, and it never got as far as an actual visa application. If you apply for state sponsorship then you need to show some commitment to the state you are moving to. That would usually be why you DO want to live there, rather than why you DON'T want to love somewhere else!

Guest The Pom Queen

Nemesis isn't try to be funny Hun they are trying to help you and are correct in what they say. Like you say maybe because we haven't got the whole story it doesn't make any sense to us.

3 hours ago, Anua said:

I was asked to list reasons I didn't want to live in Queensland.

Its just odd, thats all. The only thing I can think of is that it was not actually an application for a visa, but an application for state sponsorship to enable you to apply for a 190 visa. But I can't see why the agent did not ask you to say why you wanted to live in a particular state, as well as why you didn't want to live in another. If thats the case then you have not been refused a visa, you were just refused sponsorship by one of the states. 

Difficult to get to the bottom of it though if you don't know which visa your agent was applying for - or even whether it had not got to the application stage. Are you still using the same agent? Do you have the letter and does it say which visa type?

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

You do need to 'sell yourself' and your plans to each State you are applying for Nomination to. We were asked to submit a brief outlining why we wanted to live in Victoria over other states etc.

Became quiet a comprehensive submission in the end. 

B

• Like 2