and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Trump doing so far?

Posted (edited)
On 13/02/2020 at 12:47, unzippy said:

Do you think that's why Warner was photoshopped with his wife?  To try and make him more like-able?

David Warner is shown towering over Ellyse Perry on the front page of The Australian newspaper on Tuesday.

Still booing are we? Move on. 

Edited by Dusty Plains

20 minutes ago, Toots said:

It's really quite sad that the only choice the Americans have is Trump or Biden.  Almost as bad as the choice we had between Shorten and Morrison. 😬

Morrison is an excellent communicator.

He is performing well in the caronavirus crisis. He learnt his lesson after a shaky start with the bushfires.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

4 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Irrespective, Trump will be there for four more years.  I watched Biden on the hustings recently and thought that he seemed to be struggling with his speech and presentation as well as muddling certain issues. There has been media speculation that he is in the early stages of dementia.  Hopefully not. It may only be speculation form Fox News or similar, but he did seem to struggle. 

I thought the same thing.  That's America's best for you.  😶

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Irrespective, Trump will be there for four more years.  I watched Biden on the hustings recently and thought that he seemed to be struggling with his speech and presentation as well as muddling certain issues. There has been media speculation that he is in the early stages of dementia.  Hopefully not. It may only be speculation form Fox News or similar, but he did seem to struggle. 

I agree that Trump will get re-elected.  The gerrymandering in the US is so widespread, it would take a landslide for the Democrats to get in (for those who don't know, all the Republican states have rigged their electoral systems and boundaries to favour the Republicans, something which in any other country would be illegal). 

However I don't think Biden has dementia.  If you go back and listen to some of his speeches from his earlier campaigns, he's always mixed up words, he's just not a very good public speaker.   If you play a whole speech, you'll see him fluff his lines and then correct himself, which shows that he knows he's stuffed up. 

Whereas if you've ever listened to Trump speaking, not reading off a teleprompter, he's incoherent.   We don't see it often, because what we see on our screens is always edited - not to make him look good, necessarily, but to cut it down to a manageable length (he always rambles on and on).  Trump often utters sentences that don't make sense and he rarely corrects himself

• Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I agree that Trump will get re-elected.  The gerrymandering in the US is so widespread, it would take a landslide for the Democrats to get in (for those who don't know, all the Republican states have rigged their electoral systems and boundaries to favour the Republicans, something which in any other country would be illegal). 

However I don't think Biden has dementia.  If you go back and listen to some of his speeches from his earlier campaigns, he's always mixed up words, he's just not a very good public speaker.   If you play a whole speech, you'll see him fluff his lines and then correct himself, which shows that he knows he's stuffed up. 

Whereas if you've ever listened to Trump speaking, not reading off a teleprompter, he's incoherent.   We don't see it often, because what we see on our screens is always edited - not to make him look good, necessarily, but to cut it down to a manageable length (he always rambles on and on).  Trump often utters sentences that don't make sense and he rarely corrects himself

Hopefully, it is not an early stage of dementia. Nobody should celebrate that. Maybe, like some of us, Biden has the odd senior moment.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Hopefully, it is not an early stage of dementia. Nobody should celebrate that. Maybe, like some of us, he has the odd senior moment.

Agreed.

It still doesn't alter my opinion about both Trump and Biden though   .................  both of them fumbling about when making speeches   .............  especially Trump.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Hopefully, it is not an early stage of dementia. Nobody should celebrate that. Maybe, like some of us, Biden has the odd senior moment.

My point is, he's been talking like that since he was in his forties (which is the earliest video I've seen).   It's just what he's like.

However, I do think it's crazy that both Democratic candidates and the current President are in their 70's.    Dementia is bound to be a risk for someone that age so it seems crazy not to have an age limit.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

Agreed.

It still doesn't alter my opinion about both Trump and Biden though   .................  both of them fumbling about when making speeches   .............  especially Trump.

If you watch Trump at his rallies where he talks more freely he is very confident and charismatic.

He doesn't like just reading a speech of a teleprompter. And it makes him sound nervous when he does it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Parley said:

If you watch Trump at his rallies where he talks more freely he is very confident and charismatic.

I've watched some of those and he sounds very confident and charismatic, but if you watch an uncut version, a lot of what he says doesn't actually make sense.  The fact that he sounds so confident spouting rubbish is what makes one wonder about his mental capacity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Parley said:

Morrison is an excellent communicator.

He is performing well in the caronavirus crisis. He learnt his lesson after a shaky start with the bushfires.

Well I think he is a fast learner and is able to recognise that he probably procrastinated during the bushfires. I would suggest that his ministers and aides (there are likely to be a number of "Mr Humphrys" in his inner sanctum)  made it clear that in relation to Coronavirus , it would be "a courageous decision not to act expeditiously, Prime Minister"  Obviously Morrison listened. 

After all, he is no Trump.

Edited by Dusty Plains

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My point is, he's been talking like that since he was in his forties (which is the earliest video I've seen).   It's just what he's like.

However, I do think it's crazy that both Democratic candidates and the current President are in their 70's.    Dementia is bound to be a risk for someone that age so it seems crazy not to have an age limit.

You would think out of a population of 327 million the USA could produce better candidates than a couple of blokes in their 70's.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2020 at 22:08, Parley said:

He doesn't like just reading a speech of a teleprompter. And it makes him sound nervous when he does it.

Yep, true, saw him reading a prepared statement about the virus emergency, it was obviously prepared for him to avoid the stupidities he came out with in his own previous statements, he fumbled his way through it and it was obvious he barely understood what he was reading out because it was factual rather than his own falsehoods.

This is early days in this emergency and we are about to see the consequences of inept and psychologically damaged leadership, if you want to see those consequences just peek at China, Italy and Iran.

Coming to a country near you in the next month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Yep, true, saw him reading a prepared statement about the virus emergency, it was obviously prepared for him to avoid the stupidities he came out with in his own previous statements, he fumbled his way through it and it was obvious he barely understood what he was reading out because it was factual rather than his own falsehoods.

This is early days in this emergency and we are about to see the consequences of inept and psychologically damaged leadership, if you want to see those consequences just peek at China, Italy and Iran.

Coming to a country near you in the next month.

Actually China in the end has virtually stopped the virus it appears.

It took very draconian measures to do it like which will never happen in our countries. 

It actually is up to each of us to avoid getting infected. You can't just blame Trump and Boris.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 2

On 12/03/2020 at 21:51, Toots said:

I thought the same thing.  That's America's best for you.  😶

Ok ,people dont like Donald Trump,  I get it .

Hes rude , arrogant ,and rather unpleasant .

Right, that's cleared that up .

So , what has he done wrong during his presidency ?

Any costly wars ?

Any false flag invasions ?

Any extra marital affairs ,?

Was the u.s economy falling off a cliff , before this global crisis ? - far from it .

The western world desperately needs a strong america , especially now .

If the shit hits the fan where would the likes of ireland , the u.k , and australia turn?

To the united states of course , certainly not china .

Do any of you on this message board , remember posters bragging about australias close economic relationship with china , and how well  everyone was doing because of it - that's over now 

Personally , thank god we have trump in charge , I wouldn't trust biden to run a bath ,never mind the worlds leading economy .

He smells of " blair" to me , weak , sleazy .

Would Biden hold china to account for the economic devastation now being poured down on this planet ? I dont think so .

Trump ,certainly will - for all his faults , he is strong .

In a crisis , you need a strong leader .

When this is over , the u.s  will take china down economically , from the inside out .

Starting with hong kong .

The chinese are responsible for sars and now this variation 

There is a price to be paid .

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

5 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Ok ,people dont like Donald Trump,  I get it .

Hes rude , arrogant ,and rather unpleasant .

Right, that's cleared that up .

So , what has he done wrong during his presidency ?

I wouldn't mind if he was rude, arrogant and unpleasant, if he wasn't lazy and incompetent.

It's not about what he's "done wrong" during his presidency.  It's about what he's not doing.   While other presidents put in a full day in the Oval Office, Trump arrives about 11 am and goes home at 6, and even then he has long breaks to watch TV - and on top of that, he has frequent days off to play golf.  

That's good in a way, because his lack of interest means he's not interested enough to meddle in international affairs (the wars you mention).  But that lack of interest also means he 's not interested in helping other countries either.  He has withdrawn the US from several international organisations and was even looking at withdrawing from NATO.  So even if America is "strong", it's unlikely Australia or anyone else can rely on them to help us out if we need it.  

Actually I'm wrong about Trump doing nothing, because he has done a few things, all of them bad - not high profile enough for casual observers to notice, but they affect a lot of Americans.  He hates Obama with a passion, so he has reversed most of the reforms which Obama achieved.  That's why he closed down the Pandemic Response Team, because Obama set it up.  

He hasn't done anything for the economy except to cut taxes for the rich.  He just happened to become President at a time when the economy was recovering, and he's just sitting there letting it ride. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

if you go on netlix there is a documentary about his life, looks a real lose in life and business and not a nice person

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

On 15/03/2020 at 04:34, Parley said:

Actually China in the end has virtually stopped the virus it appears.

It took very draconian measures to do it like which will never happen in our countries. 

It actually is up to each of us to avoid getting infected. You can't just blame Trump and Boris.

That's if you believe the news out of China. I saw a reporter last night who said the Chinese government has been kicking out foreign reporters. Even when they're there they only get to see what the chinese want.

7 hours ago, Perthbum said:

if you go on netlix there is a documentary about his life, looks a real lose in life and business and not a nice person

Mate he's a billionaire and president. I don't call that a loser. I don't think he cares what people think about him.

33 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Mate he's a billionaire and president. I don't call that a loser. I don't think he cares what people think about him.

I think he cares a great deal what people think about him, but he's a classic narcissist. He inherited enough money that he could surround himself with yes-men from day one.  If anyone says anything negative about him, he's able to convince himself they're stupid or worthless, and that enables him to dismiss them.   That's why he labels every TV station but Fox as "fake news" and doesn't take them seriously.  

You might remember that football game where the crowd booed him. You could see from his face that he was shocked and very surprised.  If he'd been paying any attention to other TV stations or newspapers, he should have expected it, but I think he really believed they were making it all up, and the people of America love him.  As we all know, the majority of Americans can't stand him, but you don't need a majority to become President thanks to the way the Republicans have rigged the electoral system.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Same as Putin and I'm pretty sure he doesn't care what people think about him either.

• Like 1

He really is an absolute moron.

"President Donald Trump on Tuesday insisted that he had never underestimated or underappreciated the seriousness of coronavirus. But for two months he and some members of his administration downplayed the global threat even as world events and government and outside experts made clear that the health and economic impacts of this disease would be dire.

Here are just some of those comments.

JAN 22

“We have it totally under control. ...It’s going to be just fine.”

— Donald Trump

China had reported that there had been 440 cases and 17 deaths, a noticeable increase from the day before when there were only 300 cases and six deaths. Chinese officials are warning people to stay away from Wuhan, the province where the outbreak began.

JAN 30

“We think we have it very well under control. We have very little problem in this country at this moment — five. And those people are all recuperating successfully. But we’re working very closely with China and other countries, and we think it’s going to have a very good ending for it. So that I can assure you.”

— Donald Trump

The CDC confirmed the first person-to-person transmission in the United States. CDC Director Robert Redfield says “the immediate risk to the American public is low.”

FEB 24

“The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. … Stock market starting to look very good to me”

— Donald Trump

While Rush Limbaugh tells his listeners that the “coronavirus is the common cold, folks” the World Health Organization reports nearly 80,000 cases and 2,600 deaths. Meanwhile the Trump administration prepares an emergency funding request from Congress and public health labs pressure the FDA to allow homegrown tests , after problems with a diagnostic developed by CDC prevented its widespread rollout. The S&P, meanwhile, closed 3,225. It would drop nearly 10 percent that week.

FEB 25

“You may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it, and the people that have it are … getting better. They’re all getting better. … As far as what we’re doing with the new virus, I think that we’re doing a great job.”

— Donald Trump

FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn says coronavirus will likely affect the nation’s medical supply chain. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases says an outbreak is inevitable. “Disruption to everyday life might be severe,” she warns.

FEB 25

“We have contained this. I won’t say airtight, but pretty close to airtight. We have done a good job in the United States.”

— Larry Kudlow

The S&P ended the day at 3,128. There were 57 cases of coronavirus in the U.S. Three weeks later the S&P opened at 2,425 and U.S. cases topped 4,000.

FEB 26

“And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."

— Donald Trump

That same day, CDC Director Robert Redfield said it would be “prudent to assume this pathogen will be with us for some time to come.”

FEB 28

“It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

— Donald Trump

Three days later, Tony Fauci, NIAID director, told CNN that that he was concerned that “as the next week or two or three go by, we're going to see a lot more community-related cases.”

MARCH 2

"We had a great meeting today with a lot of the great companies and they're going to have vaccines, I think relatively soon.”

— Donald Trump

Fauci repeats that vaccines will take a year to 18 months.

MARCH 6

“Anybody that needs a test, gets a test. They’re there. They have the tests. And the tests are beautiful.”

— Donald Trump

Advertisement

Vice President Mike Pence, the day before, said “we don’t have enough tests today to meet what we anticipate will be the demand going forward."

MARCH 6

[Holding rallies] “doesn't bother me at all.”

— Donald Trump

Within the week, Trump canceled events in Colorado, Nevada and Wisconsin. Fauci recommended against large crowds.

MARCH 9

“So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on.”

— Donald Trump

Hours after the president sent that tweet Santa Clara County banned large public gatherings. Two days later, the NBA suspended its season. The NHL, MLB and NCAA would soon follow.

MARCH 10

“And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

— Donald Trump

Surgeon General Jerome Adams, that same day, warned that “this is likely going to get worse before it gets better.”

MARCH 12

“It’s going to go away. ... The United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with China, we have 32 deaths at this point … when you look at the kind of numbers that you’re seeing coming out of other countries, it’s pretty amazing when you think of it.”

— Donald Trump

That same day Pence said “we’ll have thousands of more cases,” Since Trump tweeted, the number of deaths have more than doubled.

MARCH 17

“Federal Government is working very well with the Governors and State officials. Good things will happen!”

— Donald Trump

The president’s prior tweet said “Failing Michigan Governor must work harder and be much more proactive. We are pushing her to get the job done.” The day before, he tweeted New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo “has to do more.”

MARCH 17

"I've always known this is a real — this is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic."

— Donald Trump

The president said he has “always viewed it as very serious” and denied that his tone in recent days had changed. "I feel the tone is similar, but some people said it wasn't," he concluded.

"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Even his mates are dumping him

They can smell he's now a loser

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/mar/17/fox-news-coronavirus-outbreak-trump

Still reckon he'll win the presidency next time. If he doesn't he'll have enough cash to do whatever he wants for his retirement.

God knows why these old people want to be taking on responsibility like that. I'm loving retirement.😎

This graphic (from the New York Times) showing unemployment claims in the US is startling. Big challenges ahead for the US economny and in turn, the global economy

Pasted%20Image.jpg

:evilface_frowning_s

33 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

This graphic (from the New York Times) showing unemployment claims in the US is startling. Big challenges ahead for the US economny and in turn, the global economy

Pasted%20Image.jpg

No really startling it will get a lot worse.

Australia is talking 2 million losing their jobs and the US is something like 15 times our population.

Hopefully it is short term unemployed not long term.