register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Trump doing so far?

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 16:28, BacktoDemocracy said:

Have you actually read what he is claiming as successes, if you have and you still approve of him then all I can say is you have no conception of the damage he has done to the worlds poor and especially the poor of America nor the problems that he has created for the world and which will be with us for the rest of this century.

I love mom's apple pie but too much of it makes my belly ache..

What damage has he done to the worlds poor? It's easy to come out with throw away lines like that. As for the poor in America there should be a lot less of them now that unemployment is a lot less.

What problems has he created that will be with us for generations?

He is telling a few home truths about China which they don't like. They don't take well to criticism and usually leaders of other countries are scared to criticise.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 03:25, Paul1Perth said:

What damage has he done to the worlds poor? It's easy to come out with throw away lines like that. As for the poor in America there should be a lot less of them now that unemployment is a lot less.

What problems has he created that will be with us for generations?

He is telling a few home truths about China which they don't like. They don't take well to criticism and usually leaders of other countries are scared to criticise.

Well he certainly seems to have god on his side

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/03/the-trump-prophecy-film-god-election-mark-taylor

Well at least his supporters think so.

It seems to just about sum up Trump and his supporters.

Employment is growing hugely amongst the poor.

No wonder the heartland love him so much.

I want it all, and I want it now.

25 minutes ago, Parley said:

It has been since 2009.  Trump was elected in 2016?  He's not done much to employment, seems the big change happened before he came to office.
The unemployment rate hit a high of 10% in October 2009 around the depth of the Great Recession, and it declined seven consecutive years during Obama’s presidency. It has continued this downtrend trend and hit a low of 3.8% in May this year before inching up to 4% in June.

UnemploymentRate-TrumpScorecard-July2018

• Like 2

Yes an all time low under Trump's policies.

No wonder they love him.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

No wonder they love him.

It's certainly an opinion.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

No wonder they love him.

Gun violence is at all time high under Trump's policies, I'm surprised he isn't taking credit for that too.

• Like 1

Save your negative comments on climate change for the likes of China and India who are opening up new coal power stations every week and just lie about what they are doing.

With the US rushing to endorse the policy by negating it’s own responsibility on climate change - an own goal.

20 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Gun violence is at all time high under Trump's policies, I'm surprised he isn't taking credit for that too.

Gun violence is at an all time high in London too. Blame him for that as well.

4 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm sure Parley is frantically trying spin it as I type..

🤣

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Gun violence?  I thought it was folk being knived that were at an all time high in London.

Gun violence?  I thought it was folk being knived that were at an all time high in London.

My thoughts too. Nottingham is more the capital of gun violence in the UK ( by British standards, since we have strict gun laws, and apart from special armed task forces - not even the police carry).

5 hours ago, Parley said:

No wonder the heartland love him so much.

Don’t you mean growing bigly?

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

3 hours ago, unzippy said:

why he needs to build the wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simmo said:

why he needs to build the wall.

To protect Americans from Americans?  Are you feeling ok?

To be fair, he is only trying to complete the work Billy Clinton started

The first major federal move towards constructing a border fence began in 1993, when Bill Clinton signed off on Operations Safeguard and Hold the Line, which authorized the construction of fencing along the border in Arizona and Texas respectively. A third installment, Operation Gatekeeper, was authorized in 1994 for the construction of fencing along the border in California. Collectively, these three operations were enacted with the intent to stem illegal immigration and drug trafficking from Latin America.

https://apps.cndls.georgetown.edu/projects/borders/exhibits/show/the-fence/overview

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

10 hours ago, unzippy said:

It has been since 2009.  Trump was elected in 2016?  He's not done much to employment, seems the big change happened before he came to office.
The unemployment rate hit a high of 10% in October 2009 around the depth of the Great Recession, and it declined seven consecutive years during Obama’s presidency. It has continued this downtrend trend and hit a low of 3.8% in May this year before inching up to 4% in June.

UnemploymentRate-TrumpScorecard-July2018

I would ask one question, how do the states know who is unemployed because my understanding is that benefits are time limited so after a lengthy period of unemployment you simply are no longer registered as unemployed you are on your own, you are off the radar, that is why there are tent cities all over the states.

Does anyone know for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I would ask one question, how do the states know who is unemployed because my understanding is that benefits are time limited so after a lengthy period of unemployment you simply are no longer registered as unemployed you are on your own, you are off the radar, that is why there are tent cities all over the states.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/063015/how-does-us-bureau-labor-statistics-calculate-unemployment-rate-published-monthly.asp

I answered my own question , as I feared the statistics do not represent the true picture by any means, as usual the stats are designed to reassure the money markets and not to influence policy to address unemployment or poverty.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Trump said frequently, during the election campaign, that the unemployment statistics were fake - because they had shown continually falling unemployment since 2010.  No changes have been made in how they are collated but he now accepts that they are not fake because unemployment has continued to decline post-election.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

8 hours ago, unzippy said:

thats not true though is it.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

8 hours ago, unzippy said:

I'm sure Parley is frantically trying spin it as I type..

🤣

Why would I need to ? It was a glib throw away line which a simple fact check shows as obviously untrue.

A simple google would tell you that  the current rate of firearm violence is still far lower than in 1993, when the rate was 6.21 such deaths per 100,000 people, compared with 3.4 in 2016. The high rate in the early 1990s was linked to a variety of conditions, most notably the emergence of a large and violent market for crack cocaine.

Donald is doing as I expected. Slowly exposing himself to be the man he really is. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

It must be hard being President of a waning power- no wonder he attacks China.  Still, given a choice, I would sooner Trump than Xi Jinping.

7 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

It must be hard being President of a waning power- no wonder he attacks China.  Still, given a choice, I would sooner Trump than Xi Jinping.

Xi is a nationalist and authoritarian as is Trump, the big difference is that Xi has a brain and is probably not stuck at 4 years old.

I would much prefer to live in the USA though- people don't 'disappear' as far as I know for disagreeing with the government. They do in China and have done for many years. In the USA you don't have to shut the doors and be afraid in case people overhear you discussing the government, either. 

• Like 1