simmo

How is Trump doing so far?

On 09/10/2020 at 16:42, bunbury61 said:

Nothing could make the victorian leadership look good - they are destroying the place .

Why do you say that?  They made some bad mistakes with hotel quarantine, but since then they have done a pretty good job. 

You have to bear in mind that the whole of the rest of Australia is virtually Covid-free and there is NO way they will open their borders to Victoria until Victoria can do the same.  If Victoria decides "let's just ease the controls and learn to live with the virus", there is NO way the other states will open the borders.  Victoria will be marooned all on its own, cut off from the rest of Australia.  So the Victorian government has been backed into a corner, with no choice but to wipe it out.  

Sure, they shouldn't have made the mistakes in the first place, but that's history now - they can't go back and undo it.  All they can do is deal with the situation as it is now, and I don't think they have any option but to do what they're doing, given the attitude of the other states.

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

53 minutes ago, Marisawright said:
On 09/10/2020 at 16:42, bunbury61 said:

Why do you say that?  They made some bad mistakes with hotel quarantine, but since then they have done a pretty good job. 

Sorry it’s been a total disaster for Victoria. They have stuffed up on a biblical scale . Andrews should be sacked for gross miss conduct a complete clown in my book.

Destroying the economy like he has done is going to have very grave consequences , let’s see what the collateral damage is in regards to mental illness, alcoholism, broken marriages, canceled treatments for other illnesses to name just a few

Then come back and say they have done a good job. 

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

Sorry it’s been a total disaster for Victoria. They have stuffed up on a biblical scale . Andrews should be sacked for gross miss conduct a complete clown in my book.

Destroying the economy like he has done is going to have very grave consequences , let’s see what the collateral damage is in regards to mental illness, alcoholism, broken marriages, canceled treatments for other illnesses to name just a few

Then come back and say they have done a good job. 

So, what approach should they have taken instead?

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I think the problem with Andrews is the 'one size fits all' approach. He could have isolated the suburbs with problems and let the rest of us live our lives but instead he has the whole lot of us under lockdown and all the small businesses have to remain closed. Another problem is his personality- obfuscation and just going on and on and on and saying nothing at all. He doesn't answer straight questions with straight answers and he treats us like naughty children.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2020 at 02:00, bunbury61 said:

CNN are telling the world that Biden is 16 pts ahead 

Polls generally have biden 2 - 5 pts ahead 

Just remember what the polls told us last time 

What the polls told us about brexit .

Trump wins in 2020 

I was right with you till the first debate and then the virus incident. I think he misread the US public in the debate. Came across as bullying an old man. Then his followup to the virus I think he's lost a lot of the older generations support by saying that people shouldn't be worried by the virus. A lot of those older people have lost friends and relations.

Momentum has changed I reckon. Hope Biden turns out a lot better than people think.

See the Americans can't have a sporting event without a riot now. Pictures from LA after the besketball and cop cars having to reverse away from a big mob on a bridge as they started attacking the police cars.

Cops are in a no win situation now. What do they do if the thugs are black? Can't arrest them or there'd be more riots.

No one is complaining about arresting, it's when people get murdered by the cops.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Marisawright said:

A good start would to be to answer questions that have been put to him and answering them and not with I can’t remember. 

50 minutes ago, unzippy said:

No one is complaining about arresting, it's when people get murdered by the cops.

but "Matthew Dollof"

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:
20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

A good start would to be to answer questions that have been put to him and answering them and not with I can’t remember.  

I think Marisa was asking how Dan should have approached the outbreak here in Victoria not how he handles press conferences.

Maybe you would prefer Boris's approach. I think you live in the UK, how's that going?

Most of us here in Victoria are fed up with lock downs but know it's necessary and are prepared to stick it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melbpom said:

I think Marisa was asking how Dan should have approached the outbreak here in Victoria not how he handles press conferences.

Maybe you would prefer Boris's approach. I think you live in the UK, how's that going?

Most of us here in Victoria are fed up with lock downs but know it's necessary and are prepared to stick it out.

I am I in hunter valley, have good friend down in Melbourne, business gone , not in a good place mentally at the moment. 
if dan had been on top of things and maybe not given the security contract for the hotels to his mates it might have been better or even taken the offer of the ADF by scomo and not lied about not knowing anything about it. Just for starters. 

On 11/10/2020 at 05:25, HappyHeart said:

God loves all of us.....

What do you think about his statement above? 

God can't love us all!

Otherwise he would never have allowed a sub species such as Trumbo , Scomo or  Bojo to develop and live.

• Like 1

Just a quick reminder to try and keep this thread for discussing Donald Trump. Melbourne has its own thread.

Thanks

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I see trumpy's son continues to prove how little he understands - can't grasp the difference between a vaccine and medicine:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/12/politics/eric-trump-abc-covid-19-vaccine-donald-trump/index.html

Here's Eric Trump discussing his father's recovery from Covid-19 during an appearance on ABCs "This Week" on Sunday with host Jonathan Karl (bolding is mine):
Eric Trump: "Yes. Listen, that first day he got hit hard, first day Friday. And I can tell you as son, it's never fun watching your father fly off to Walter Reed on Marine One, right? I mean, that's something that -- it's a day that no son wants to, again, remember. It's -- that's no fun to watch.
"But I'm telling you I spoke to him three times that next Saturday. The guy sounded 100%. It was amazing. It actually probably goes to speak to how good some of these vaccines that are being created are and what my father's done on the vaccine front, no one could have done. No one could have done.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I see trumpy's son continues to prove how little he understands - can't grasp the difference between a vaccine and medicine:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/12/politics/eric-trump-abc-covid-19-vaccine-donald-trump/index.html

At one time Trump took some regular pleasure in pointing out that Donald Jnr and Eric were in the back of the room when God was handing out brains.  Bet that was good for their self esteem.   🙄

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Toots said:

At one time Trump took some regular pleasure in pointing out that Donald Jnr and Eric were in the back of the room when God was handing out brains.  Bet that was good for their self esteem.   🙄

On 09/10/2020 at 00:09, bunbury61 said:

he has bright, intelligent children

And yet the deluded trumpy fans think the opposite, even when he stated they were thick🤣 

16 hours ago, Rallyman said:

I am I in hunter valley, have good friend down in Melbourne, business gone , not in a good place mentally at the moment. 
if dan had been on top of things and maybe not given the security contract for the hotels to his mates it might have been better or even taken the offer of the ADF by scomo and not lied about not knowing anything about it. Just for starters. 

Sorry Rallyman, I'd assumed you were in the UK.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Still reckon he will get in though. He is deeply unattractive but so is Biden, even more so.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 08:45, Marisawright said:

You have to bear in mind that the whole of the rest of Australia is virtually Covid-free and there is NO way they will open their borders to Victoria until Victoria can do the same.  If Victoria decides "let's just ease the controls and learn to live with the virus", there is NO way the other states will open the borders.  Victoria will be marooned all on its own, cut off from the rest of Australia.  So the Victorian government has been backed into a corner, with no choice but to wipe it out.  

Sure, they shouldn't have made the mistakes in the first place, but that's history now - they can't go back and undo it.  All they can do is deal with the situation as it is now, and I don't think they have any option but to do what they're doing, given the attitude of the other states.

Some eminent people  are now saying lockdowns don't work. 

YOU CANNOT WIPE COVID 19 OUT - PERIOD .

All you can wish for is a vaccine of some description .

So in the meantime 

Protect the elderly and vulnerable 

KEEP YOURSELF HEALTHY - EAT WELL AND EXCERCISE 

Wear protection 

And get on with your life 

Shutting the world down will prove to be a fatal mistake - if indeed it is a mistake .

Once you turn the engine off ...you cannot then ,just restart it .

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

On 12/10/2020 at 04:58, Paul1Perth said:

I was right with you till the first debate and then the virus incident. I think he misread the US public in the debate. Came across as bullying an old man. Then his followup to the virus I think he's lost a lot of the older generations support by saying that people shouldn't be worried by the virus. A lot of those older people have lost friends and relations.

Momentum has changed I reckon. Hope Biden turns out a lot better than people think.

Trump wins in 2020 - my guess 

Trump 54%

Biden 46% 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Trump wins in 2020 - my guess 

Trump 54%

Biden 46% 

The entertainment factor for me is the election itself. 

The usual expert media pundits, boffins, and talking heads will be there in force, many of which got it so wrong last time that they still have trouble sitting down. Then there are the polls in the lead up to election night and as people lodge their vote. Once again, the pollsters will predict one particular outcome on the basis of their talking to individuals, pre-polled, over the phone or in the streets, only to be slowly countered by the actual votes that people have made in the privacy of the poll booth. 

Will there be the usual breathtaking bias from CNN, FOX, MNBC, CBS, PBS etc?  This is always a particular favourite of mine,  its pure entertainment for the casual observer especially for the observer who, on every other day of the year, does not consume loads of US media.

Whatever the outcome, the electorate normally gets it right, as suggested by other posters.

Edited by Dusty Plains

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 14:17, unzippy said:

No no. It's only when people of certain ethnicities get murdered by cops of certain ethnicities that there is 'uproar' and 'outrage'. If this isn't the case, then it doesn't fit the leftist narrative and gets completely ignored.

Thank goodness many are coming around to see that the vocal minority is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Some eminent people  are now saying lockdowns don't work. 

YOU CANNOT WIPE COVID 19 OUT - PERIOD .

All you can wish for is a vaccine of some description .

So in the meantime 

Protect the elderly and vulnerable 

KEEP YOURSELF HEALTHY - EAT WELL AND EXCERCISE 

Wear protection 

And get on with your life 

Shutting the world down will prove to be a fatal mistake - if indeed it is a mistake .

Once you turn the engine off ...you cannot then ,just restart it .

That strategy CONDEMNS the elderly and vulnerable (which is a huge section of society) to further isolation and shielding indefinitely, some of my British family have been doing it for nearly 8 months are are climbing the walls with definite negative effects to their MH. It's immoral and selfish. There's a better way. 

• Like 1