You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

How is Trump doing so far?

Flattering this guys sensitive ego makes some sense I suppose.  He will continue to form all his decisions solely on the basis of personal criticism or flattery.  He always has been a bragging, self-publicising, bully but is increasingly losing the plot as the Presidency is just a massive ego trip for him.

That a human being this obviously inadequate can achieve such cult status amongst a significant minority of people is a major concern and perhaps the biggest indictment yet of the pervasive celebrity culture.

• Like 6

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Yes his narcissistic tendencies for a commander in chief do give us pause to be concerned.

The one potential positive could be making an ally out of Russia (and hopefully steering them toward being a better democracy).

As for claims the election was rigged with Russian collusion - if it's true then there is a case to answer.....but until then it's just a Democratic domestic storm in a tea cup, which is adding to the potential instability.

Nice snub from the Polish First Lady, btw....

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Yes his narcissistic tendencies for a commander in chief do give us pause to be concerned.

The one potential positive could be making an ally out of Russia (and hopefully steering them toward being a better democracy).

As for claims the election was rigged with Russian collusion - if it's true then there is a case to answer.....but until then it's just a Democratic domestic storm in a tea cup, which is adding to the potential instability.

His face when she walked right past him to shake hands with Melania.  :P

• Like 2

I would be a bit more concerned about NK at the moment , if Trump gets to above his station there are people around him to keep him in line 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ssiri said:

If you look at the power of the oligarchs and their lobbyists, gerrymandering, escalation of policies promoting further voter exclusion then I am afraid that the USA is actually moving ever closer to a Russian version of democracy.

All that stands between them is the US Constitution which in key areas is under sustained attack by Trump and many Republicans. 

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

I would be a bit more concerned about NK at the moment , if Trump gets to above his station there are people around him to keep him in line 

Unfortunately those people around him are there at his discretion and can be replaced by him if they don't suck up to him enough.

Whilst NK are a rogue state I am yet to be convinced that they are intent on world domination.  The regime there must themselves feel vulnerable particularly when they review recent history when the USA and its allies first ensured that Saddam Hussain had no WMDs (with UN weapons inspectors) and then launched an invasion.  They would be dumber than Donald Trump to fall for that same trick.

• Like 1

Unfortunately those people around him are there at his discretion and can be replaced by him if they don't suck up to him enough.
Whilst NK are a rogue state I am yet to be convinced that they are intent on world domination.  The regime there must themselves feel vulnerable particularly when they review recent history when the USA and its allies first ensured that Saddam Hussain had no WMDs (with UN weapons inspectors) and then launched an invasion.  They would be dumber than Donald Trump to fall for that same trick.

I tend to be of a similar opinion with reference to NK. If something was going to happen (and I mean an attack instigated by NK) it would have happened.

This seems more like saying we are not to be neglected, and is more like constant attention seeking prodding.....

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  • Like 1

If you look at the power of the oligarchs and their lobbyists, gerrymandering, escalation of policies promoting further voter exclusion then I am afraid that the USA is actually moving ever closer to a Russian version of democracy.
All that stands between them is the US Constitution which in key areas is under sustained attack by Trump and many Republicans. 

The US style of gerrymandering, big money campaigns and lobbying was around way before Trump became President. That being said, his style is more off the walk and not unlike that if a dictator/minor democracy anywhere....

Still - whether there is any grounds to the rigging accusations, and any links between his style of leading and Russian influence, is yet to be seen.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

That a human being this obviously inadequate can achieve such cult status amongst a significant minority of people is a major concern and perhaps the biggest indictment yet of the pervasive celebrity culture.

a bit like corbyn then.?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ssiri said:

The US style of gerrymandering, big money campaigns and lobbying was around way before Trump became President. That being said, his style is more off the walk and not unlike that if a dictator/minor democracy anywhere....

Still - whether there is any grounds to the rigging accusations, and any links between his style of leading and Russian influence, is yet to be seen.....

Yes, Trump is not the cause of these ills...but he is the consequence of them.

The whole Russia involvement thing, whilst interesting in itself, is probably being overblown.  Essentially it is acting as a diversion for many from the key issue of massive legalised and endemic corruption in the US political system where most elected representatives act principally for so-called donors rather than the people they are supposedly elected to serve.

Such corruption is evident elsewhere in the West but on a much smaller scale.  It is also frowned upon elsewhere but is deemed to be acceptable in the USA where it barely gets any attention from mainstream media outlets who themselves are owned by the self-same oligarchs.

The worst thing about all this is that we are continually being assailed with propoganda that the USA is a paragon of democracy and the self-styled leader of the free world when the reality can hardly be more different.  Obama as President papered over the cracks but Trump is unwittingly illustrating how corrupt the system is by exploiting it brazenly.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ssiri said:

I tend to be of a similar opinion with reference to NK. If something was going to happen (and I mean an attack instigated by NK) it would have happened.

This seems more like saying we are not to be neglected, and is more like constant attention seeking prodding.....

In a peculiar sense yes. Throughout recent history NK has seen communist governments fall so fear they could be next. Technically, they are still at war with SK and the US and probably feel at war with the rest of the world due to the fact that the UN was involved in the war. Are they paranoid? Most likely, but I can appreciate why they are always posturing whenever the US and S korea hold provocative exercises close to their borders. It's akin to certain wild birds puffing out their chest feathers to make them look bigger whenever they feel threatened

• Like 1

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

He can't replace elected members or the senate or house of reps. He has failed to get some bills passed because members of his own party voted against ,  some of whom would readily impeach him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

He can't replace elected members or the senate or house of reps. He has failed to get some bills passed because members of his own party voted against ,  some of whom would readily impeach him.

In reality the bills are not his, they are Republican Party bills, which Trump endorses and will need to sign once the House passes them.

I imagined Rallyman was referring to Trump's own cabinet and inner circle rather than the Senate or House of Representatives.  He could get around those as far as NK was concerned if he was minded to.  Republican House Members will stand by Trump so long as he is supporting the agenda of healthcare repeal and tax reform (both of which are controversial as they represent the single largest transfer of wealth from the poor and middle-classes to the wealthy who pay the legal bribes).

Impeachment is probably a Democrat pipe dream in reality.

In essence Republican lawmakers are struggling because the demands of the oligarchs that pay them millions are so at odds with what is good for everyone else.  It is this that has stalled legislation albeit only temporarily I suspect while they try to come up with ways to sell these bills that will not consign them and the Republican Party to political oblivion at the next election.

I am sure they will find a way.  An electorate dumb enough to vote in Trump in the first place will ultimately accept anything. 

2 hours ago, ssiri said:

The actions of NK this week have  got the Americans taking them seriously. 

2 hours ago, simmo said:

a bit like corbyn then.?

WHAT, don't you know Labour won the election!!!!

• Like 1

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

The actions of NK this week have  got the Americans taking them seriously. 

I think they were always taken seriously, as pointed out previously, manoeuvres by SK and the US etc for sometime now, even before Trump.

The worry is that the lunatic in charge of the asylum and I'm not referring to NK here, will start escalating things to a point of no return and start a war.

I'm hoping and expecting not as destabilisation in the Asian region with China and Russia right there will not be good for anyone.

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

I think they were always taken seriously, as pointed out previously, manoeuvres by SK and the US etc for sometime now, even before Trump.

The worry is that the lunatic in charge of the asylum and I'm not referring to NK here, will start escalating things to a point of no return and start a war.

I'm hoping and expecting not as destabilisation in the Asian region with China and Russia right there will not be good for anyone.

Trump is not the one that is firing ICBM (which landed in Japans Territorial waters)

you poke the hornets nest and you will get a reaction , let's all just stand by and see what happens, 

i am no fan of Trump but he is right in saying haven't they got better things to do 

14 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

In reality the bills are not his, they are Republican Party bills, which Trump endorses and will need to sign once the House passes them.

I imagined Rallyman was referring to Trump's own cabinet and inner circle rather than the Senate or House of Representatives.  He could get around those as far as NK was concerned if he was minded to.  Republican House Members will stand by Trump so long as he is supporting the agenda of healthcare repeal and tax reform (both of which are controversial as they represent the single largest transfer of wealth from the poor and middle-classes to the wealthy who pay the legal bribes).

Impeachment is probably a Democrat pipe dream in reality.

In essence Republican lawmakers are struggling because the demands of the oligarchs that pay them millions are so at odds with what is good for everyone else.  It is this that has stalled legislation albeit only temporarily I suspect while they try to come up with ways to sell these bills that will not consign them and the Republican Party to political oblivion at the next election.

I am sure they will find a way.  An electorate dumb enough to vote in Trump in the first place will ultimately accept anything. 

No I was referring to what SG has said , if he does lose the plot completely they have the necessary powers in their constitution to remove him 

15 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

An electorate dumb enough to vote in Trump in the first place will ultimately accept anything. 

You have to ask why then 

On 06/07/2017 at 20:39, simmo said:

the poles seem to like him

THE POLES MAYBE, BUT AMERICANS HATE HIM

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..