Any Teachers Applying Now?

Guest Anna9879
8 minutes ago, SarahL said:

Fingers crossed if that happens it will be after we all have our visas :) Good luck with the application. 

goodluck to you too :)

Anna, yes they do.

You have to be careful though. Generally, the degree should actually have 'early years' or 'pre primary' in the title, otherwise AITSL are far less likely to accept it, even if you provide a letter from the uni confirming age range and duration of supervised practice as early years.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan

Guest Anna9879
2 hours ago, Richard Gregan said:

Anna, yes they do.

You have to be careful though. Generally, the degree should actually have 'early years' or 'pre primary' in the title, otherwise AITSL are far less likely to accept it, even if you provide a letter from the uni confirming age range and duration of supervised practice as early years.

Regards,

Richard

so will it be a problem if it states as primary education, but in the letter is mentioned that its between 3-8 years? and is there a chance of primary teachers being added to the list again?

Edited by Anna9879

It very much depends on the assessment officer, but if the degree doesn't explicitly state early years/pre primary in the title then it does risk being rejected. Also, the age range you mention (3 to 8) is within AITSL's range for early years, but there's no way to be sure other than to submit it.

Re primary school teachers, I can't see this changing any time soon. Do you have primary school experience teaching in another language?

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan

On 10/6/2017 at 00:13, Richard Gregan said:

It very much depends on the assessment officer, but if the degree doesn't explicitly state early years/pre primary in the title then it does risk being rejected. Also, the age range you mention (3 to 8) is within AITSL's range for early years, but there's no way to be sure other than to submit it.

Re primary school teachers, I can't see this changing any time soon. Do you have primary school experience teaching in another language?

Regards,

Richard

Hi,

I understand that Aitsl wants 4 years of university level education, is it possible to apply with say a 3 year B.Ed, followed by a level 6 OTHM diploma ? 

Totally 4 years of education. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shyam2804 said:

Hi,

I understand that Aitsl wants 4 years of university level education, is it possible to apply with say a 3 year B.Ed, followed by a level 6 OTHM diploma ? 

Totally 4 years of education. 

Four years of university based education. is mandatory.

26 minutes ago, Richard Gregan said:

If you can demonstrate that the OTHM level 6 diploma is a university level qualification then yes. But you would need the university who issued it to confirm that. The course would have to be issued and taught by a university level institution.

OTHM is regulated by ofqual and it states that the level 6 is equivalent to the final year of a UK bachelors degree, would that be sufficient evidence ? http://www.othm.org.uk/qualification.html

So just to confirm again, AITSL, doesn’t require the teaching qualification to be the final qualification ? So doing a another diploma/masters to make up to the 4 years of university education is fine ? 

Thank you

• Like 1

AITSL does not require the teaching qualification to be the final qualification.

For example, you may have a three year teaching degree, but you then do a Masters to bring your university level education up to 4 years to meet AITSL requirements. This would be acceptable.

You must have a minimum of fours years of university level education, not college level.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

On 12/08/2017 at 23:07, sammy11480 said:

Hi TeacherClem

Thanks for response. I completely agree. It's so hard to know what to expect and very difficult to get to hear from teachers who have actually successfully made the move.
I don't doubt that it is challenging to find work as many claim, however to be told it is pretty impossible is very demoralising and I'm feeling pretty stuck about how to proceed.
I struggled to find my first teaching post in U.K, seven years ago and it was desperately competitive, but once in a school everything slotted into place. It's just the worry of arriving and struggling to find a job.
I would have thought that an international applicant would bring different skills that employers would find attractive and thus we would have some advantage in the job market?
All the best with your move.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

That's like saying a migrant coming to the uk would have an advantage? I can't imagine a migrant would have any advantage over a home grown applicant. Shouldn't have any disadvantage either, the person best suited to the job should get it. 

Interesting thread!

I have been in Oz now two years nearly and as a high school teacher in WA did not have much difficulty in getting a job, I was offered relief in a couple of schools before gaining a couple of one year contracts and now going permanent. I work in a school that is in a low social-demographic area and is a hard to recruit/retain type of school I guess. That said the tide is changing and our progression over the last four/five years has been outstanding I'm led to believe! So as suggested previously schools in a low index band may offer more opportunities.

This can be explained here:

https://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/pdf/SEI.pdf

I guess what I'm saying is don't be too picky! I've ended up at a school where the staff are supportive and leadership receptive to new ideas. The children can be tough at times but there are some real rough diamonds. Remote isn't for me with a family but I would have done that for a couple of years single or with a partner. The opportunities for progression are excellent and obviously the experience would be something else, not all positive but steep learning curves!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, benj1980 said:

Interesting thread!

I have been in Oz now two years nearly and as a high school teacher in WA did not have much difficulty in getting a job, I was offered relief in a couple of schools before gaining a couple of one year contracts and now going permanent. I work in a school that is in a low social-demographic area and is a hard to recruit/retain type of school I guess. That said the tide is changing and our progression over the last four/five years has been outstanding I'm led to believe! So as suggested previously schools in a low index band may offer more opportunities.

This can be explained here:

https://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonline/pdf/SEI.pdf

I guess what I'm saying is don't be too picky! I've ended up at a school where the staff are supportive and leadership receptive to new ideas. The children can be tough at times but there are some real rough diamonds. Remote isn't for me with a family but I would have done that for a couple of years single or with a partner. The opportunities for progression are excellent and obviously the experience would be something else, not all positive but steep learning curves!

Thanks for the update, it's always good to read a positive story :) especially as we are planning on moving to WA. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, benj1980 said:

I'm not in central Perth, so maybe that would be the solution even if you were going to base yourself there. I work in Mandurah and teachers come from Kelmscott, Baldivis, Rockingham to the north and Lake Clifton area down south.

We're not fussed about being in Perth so will head wherever the jobs are! How have you found teaching in WA compared to the UK? 

3 hours ago, SarahL said:

We're not fussed about being in Perth so will head wherever the jobs are! How have you found teaching in WA compared to the UK? 

Less stressful and better pay! I have a better work life balance and there's an emphasis on this where I'm at. I'm not sure whether this is at every school or not but there is a little more flexibility there's a bit more PPA time for example. You can opt out of cover within reason but you get paid additional if you do have cover at an hourly rate. Happier teachers, better lessons?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Hi all! We had an email asking for our police checks and medicals this morning [emoji16] relieved to finally hear something from them. We're getting those sorted now.
The only thing I feel I could add more detail too is references regarding my employment history. Can anyone tell me how much detail their employers put into their letters? For example did they just say 'x worked for y from (date) to (date) employed as (xxx)' or did the letter go into a lot of detail about the job you did?
Many thanks for your much needed help [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Hi Clem,

At what point are you being asked for references ?
We have our invitation and filling out application currently - I would have thought all the references etc were done?

Hi Clem,

At what point are you being asked for references ?
We have our invitation and filling out application currently - I would have thought all the references etc were done?

Hi, We haven’t been asked for them, I just know some people added references when uploading all their documents to prove employment years they have claimed for.

AITSL's requirements for employment statements can be found in the AITSL application form. Employment is not required for the skills assessment but you may wish to have your employment optionally assessed as part of the skills assessment. Whether or not you go for the option of AITSL giving an opinion on your employment, it remains the case that for the visa stage, employment statements still need to meet minimum requirements as laid out in the AITSL application form, so refer to this for guidance.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan

• 3 months later...

Hi there trying to research information regarding front loading and have failed, would any of you kindly help?

i am a secondary maths teacher with over ten years experience, currently been teaching in nz for the last year but want to apply to oz on the 189/190 visa. Have submitted my aistl and waiting outcome. Attempting to gather all documentation so I can then apply immediately. For my nz pr visa I have brief letters from each school I have worked at outlining the dates and the fact I was on a permanent contract etc will this be sufficient to prove my ten + years? Obviously having moved to nz I just haven’t got p60 copies or pay slips and have researched and don’t think I can get them, can you please let me know what you submitted and any advice around this please?

On 3/13/2018 at 15:25, Lisa L said:

Hi there trying to research information regarding front loading and have failed, would any of you kindly help?

i am a secondary maths teacher with over ten years experience, currently been teaching in nz for the last year but want to apply to oz on the 189/190 visa. Have submitted my aistl and waiting outcome. Attempting to gather all documentation so I can then apply immediately. For my nz pr visa I have brief letters from each school I have worked at outlining the dates and the fact I was on a permanent contract etc will this be sufficient to prove my ten + years? Obviously having moved to nz I just haven’t got p60 copies or pay slips and have researched and don’t think I can get them, can you please let me know what you submitted and any advice around this please?

Hi Lisa 

Have you visited AITSL website? https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia Click on "Secondary School Teacher" and check out the application guide. 

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if any of you could advise?

I'm currently writing my C.V. for VIC 190 nomination for Primary School Teacher.

Has anyone got any advice on how much detail you go into for describing your roles? Was it much more descriptive than you would regularly be?

If you were successful, did you put a cover letter with the C.V? 

I've read this is one of the most crucial pieces of paperwork and I want to get it right! :0)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, back in 2014, I applied to have my uk teaching qualifications recognised in QLD, but was told that my PGCE was not recognised (it was SCITT). So I could either do a yr training in Oz or submit a portfolio relating to The Australian Teachers Professional Standards. At that point, we were just on a two yr posting in Cairns and it would have been a huge hassle getting everything sorted for the time scale.
Now we want to return to Oz and QLD if possible. Has anyone had to create a document like this? If so, was it reasonably ok to put together? (I know that it is a requirement for prof dev in some states). I’m a bit worried about data protection laws here in the uk which have just changed and become very strict.
We are happy to go rural for a while, in fact we are happy to go anywhere within reason. Does Cairns count as rural/remote? Would love to go back.
Primary school teacher btw.
Thank you for any advice in advance.
I have already resubmitted my application form to the QCT, should I do AITSL at the same time?
Goodness, so many questions. Sorry! [emoji4]