417 visa

s1234

Hi, thanks in advance for any help/advice. My son (23) is planning to go to Australia in September/October. We're from the U.K. originally, but he's currently visiting us in the USA, we now live here, but my sons main residence is still in the U.K. Ideally he would travel from the USA directly to Australia. 

So what I'd like to know is, do you need to be in the U.K. to apply? Also having looked at the documents needed, it's saying that his passport and birth certificate need to be certified? I have the original birth certificate but it is back in the U.K. I could get them sent here if necessary. But I do have PDF copies, but they aren't certified! Who could certify his passport whilst in the USA, or does it need to be a U.K. ?

Sorry for the long post, any help would be great. Thanks.

Hi s1234

I'll try and help where I can.

I understand your son should be able to apply for the 417 whilst he is in the US as you must apply for it outside of Australia, which he will be of course.

I assume he meets all other requirements of the visa (not yet turned 31, enough money to support himself and is able to prove as such, not accompanied by children etc - all found on https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-#)

As for certified copies, see if you can get someone in the UK to go get the birth certificate certified for you. There are a number of different people who can do this, I know for one a doctor can do it however I'm sure you have to pay for the service. See https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

As for getting the passport certified in the US I'm not entirely sure but a quick google search shows me you will be looking for a notary

"start with your bank as most banks employ notaries it says. Attorneys can act as notaries. Try going down to your local court house as they almost always have notaries available. Failing that try www.notaryrotary.com where you can fill in your city and state or zip code and the website will find notaries close to you."

Of course if you must get the birth certificate posted to you in the US then you can get that notarised too with the passport.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that's all a great help. 

He passes all of the requirements, so it's just the documents to get notarised. I'll have a chat with an attorney here then, and get his birth certificate posted out. I'll also check out the website you suggested and go to our bank. 

Thank you again. 

When I applied for my WHV in April this year it was granted overnight and I didn't have to provide anything like birth certificates...I had copies of them ready along with other documents but I never had to use them in the end and my visa was granted in less than a day from submitting my application.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• 3 weeks later...