Short term accommodation help- Melbourne

Hello all, 

i have submitted my application for a 189 Skills Visa just over a week ago. I know that realistically it could take 3-4 months for approval however I am keen to get searching for accommodation in Mel for when I arrive. I will be shipping a part container and have been told that could take up to 10-12 weeks so I probably need a short term let for 2 months while I wait for it to arrive. Where do I start? Serviced apt in the city are 200-250 a day and I can't afford this so what did you all do for accommodation when you all moved out to Australia initially? Did you book in advance or wait for your grant or different? I'm conscious that with summer arriving around the time I hope to get there everything will be booked up -  any tips or advice is appreciated- thanks 

Hello all, 
i have submitted my application for a 189 Skills Visa just over a week ago. I know that realistically it could take 3-4 months for approval however I am keen to get searching for accommodation in Mel for when I arrive. I will be shipping a part container and have been told that could take up to 10-12 weeks so I probably need a short term let for 2 months while I wait for it to arrive. Where do I start? Serviced apt in the city are 200-250 a day and I can't afford this so what did you all do for accommodation when you all moved out to Australia initially? Did you book in advance or wait for your grant or different? I'm conscious that with summer arriving around the time I hope to get there everything will be booked up -  any tips or advice is appreciated- thanks 

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

We're currently in a rented flat waiting on shipping. We rented the bare minimum furniture inc kitchen utensils, plates etc. Look on internet, loads of companies renting furniture short term, any budget. We are lucky flat has walk in robes and drawers, so we can store clothes. Good luck

• Like 1

No point in doing anything until you have your visa and have booked flights.

Then have a look at airbnb or stayz for when you arrive.  For a 2 month stay, you may be able to negotiate a lower rate.  Also they will be furnished and have most of what you need there.

Long term rentals are normally unfurnished.

• Like 2

As mentioned previously, you might want to hold off with booking short term accommodation until you get the visa. There are certain serviced apartments in the city that do around $150 per night but you have to book 28 days and over and that's only for a one bedroom. Airbnbs and Stayz come out cheaper for longer stays and you might be able to find 2 bedrooms for the same price...depending on where you are planning on looking to book.  Good luck with the visa application though. Must be exciting. 

• Like 1

On 04/07/2017 at 23:09, Cbop said:

We're currently in a rented flat waiting on shipping. We rented the bare minimum furniture inc kitchen utensils, plates etc. Look on internet, loads of companies renting furniture short term, any budget. We are lucky flat has walk in robes and drawers, so we can store clothes. Good luck

Thank you for this idea :-) we are only shipping part furniture so we do need to buy some. I think we can rent and loan off friends until it arrives. Did you find an apt that rents less than 6 months? 

A few of the listings were short term. Owners going abroad for 6 months holidays rent out their flats and houses. We ended up just going into our main rental earlier, so that we don't have to move again. The place is really bare and I'm counting the days for shipping!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 06:06, Australia123go said:

Hello all, 

We may be able to help with accommodation depending on your dates.  I'll send you a PM.

On 07/07/2017 at 02:00, Winneth said:

By the way, Dec and Jan are slow for rentals. Not much on the market during the Christmas holidays and then from late Jan to late Feb, it feels like a massacre with everyone out and about looking for rentals. 

Thanks. Hoping my visa will be be granted end of October (4 months from application) so hopeful I can be there before Christmas 

Thank you.