Leaving Australia on UK or Aussie Passport

suesmalls

31 minutes ago, Collie said:

So you entered the UK on a UK passport?  that's why you had no complications.

So it sound like the UK has the same rules as Australia.  An Australian citizen is legally obliged to leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport.  According to the advice you received a UK citizen is obliged to leave and enter the UK on a UK passport.

yes thats correct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I am only stating what happened to us and what we were told by the boarder control officer at Manchester airport upon arrival

Yeah, I appreciate that, but what ever he said, under British law there is no requirement. Nor is there any requirement to show every passport you hold (thank goodness, my husband has four, and I have three!). You could actually have entered and left on your ozzie passport.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Yeah, I appreciate that, but what ever he said, under British law there is no requirement. Nor is there any requirement to show every passport you hold (thank goodness, my husband has four, and I have three!). You could actually have entered and left on your ozzie passport.

It was a lady,  and we were told diffrent to what you are saying thats my experiance and just  passing on what  actually happenned to the OP.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

I have a UK and Aussie passport, I always enter and leave the UK on my British one and Aus on the Aussie one. On one trip I was asked to present both at the UK border, despite showing the UK one and only the UK one. They knew however that I had another and asked for it.

Whilst there may be no requirement to show both it  seemed best not to argue with an immigration officer.  No idea why they wanted the two and it has not happened since but I have always carried both since that trip.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 3

I'll just stick to following the law, and to be honest the rest of you are all equally able to do whatever you wish. However there is no way we are carrying and producing all our passports when we don't need to! One is enough :) 

As you say you're just reporting your experiences, I'm doing the same, reporting my experiences (and my legal findings). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, paulswin said:

So when we leave aus for good next year do we leave aus on our Aussie passport and enter uk on our uk passport?  Or should we just leave aus on our uk passport?

If you are an Australian citizen you must leave on your Australian passport

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, paulswin said:

So when we leave aus for good next year do we leave aus on our Aussie passport and enter uk on our uk passport?  Or should we just leave aus on our uk passport?

From my understanding if you are Australian citizen you should leave on your Australian passport as the form you have to fill in asks if it's a business trip , holiday or Australian citizen leaving permanently

Enter uk on your U.K. Passport 

• Like 2

On 2017-7-16 at 06:59, Melby said:

Hey Haroon 

why are you leaving Perth to move back to the UK?

been married for 16 years, no kids.
Did the IVF thing, and we both hit 40... and we thought we'd start looking at adoption and fostering before its too late. 
Then, on our last attempt at IVf (6th or 7th...) Boom... Twins.,... Due 25th december., 

Wife has no real support structure here to go through this, and im at work all day, so figured its time to head back for a bit. 
That way she will have family and friends around her for support, we'll be able to milk them for gifts and hand me downs (LOL!) 

But also, ibve been coasting through life up to now... work in IT and basically took things as they come. Now, with twins on the way, need to start making and saving money. 
Can earn double in the UK in my field than what i do here... so time to make some cash contracting again, and who knows, maybe in a decade when the kids are gonna hit their teens i might travel back here with some cash to spend. Im an aussie citizen, so coming and going wont  be a problem, might even try the ping pong pom thing for a bit, as i can get contract work anywhere... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Har00n said:

been married for 16 years, no kids.
Did the IVF thing, and we both hit 40... and we thought we'd start looking at adoption and fostering before its too late. 
Then, on our last attempt at IVf (6th or 7th...) Boom... Twins.,... Due 25th december., 

Wife has no real support structure here to go through this, and im at work all day, so figured its time to head back for a bit. 
That way she will have family and friends around her for support, we'll be able to milk them for gifts and hand me downs (LOL!) 

But also, ibve been coasting through life up to now... work in IT and basically took things as they come. Now, with twins on the way, need to start making and saving money. 
Can earn double in the UK in my field than what i do here... so time to make some cash contracting again, and who knows, maybe in a decade when the kids are gonna hit their teens i might travel back here with some cash to spend. Im an aussie citizen, so coming and going wont  be a problem, might even try the ping pong pom thing for a bit, as i can get contract work anywhere... 

Twins!  Twice as much fun.  Congratulations.  :)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Toots said:

Twins!  Twice as much fun.  Congratulations.  :)

Thanks!

No more Xbox, TV and motorbikes for me... Twice the fun, twice the cost, so the toys are all going.. 

But i cant wait! 
Really looking forward to it!  Not sure how the mrs is going to handle me plus 2 mini-me's.... LOL... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...