Leaving Australia on UK or Aussie Passport

suesmalls

9 hours ago, Collie said:

What type of bike is it and how much you looking for?

Its a 2011 Z1000. Ive got her for $8400 on gumtree, facebook and some bike forums...  Realistically id probably let her go for $7800
But its winter, and people are just not buying stuff right now. im hoping some of the tax returns will spr people to spend a little.

$_20 (1).JPG

$_20.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itraf said:

When you buy air ticket your passport number is needed for purchase and boarding flight so you could use uk one for flight and when you arrive

Passport numbers are not generally required when purchasing flights between the UK and oz. And the physical passport is required at check in,/boarding not just a number.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Itraf said:

Passport needed for visas ticket boarding arrival

You do not need a passport or a visa to buy a flight ticket between the UK and Australia. Other countries may differ.

However as I said you will need one for check in/boarding, and of course you need one for arrival.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I flew from Australia on long haul flights every two months for years and have never needed a passport to book the flight. 

Exactly. I've been going back and forth for nearly 25 years and not needed one for booking!

• Like 2

On 12/07/2017 at 13:40, Har00n said:

In the same boat as you, sue... Got a car and motorbike to sell before we head back at end of August. 
Am tempted to just take a hit ont htem both, if it means getting them sold. have them on Gumtree,facebook, carsales etc, but not getting anywhere..... anxious is the right word... 

Hey Haroon 

why are you leaving Perth to move back to the UK?

• Like 2

Went back to uk in March , first time as Australian citizens , we had to show our Australian passport to leave and upon return , when we arrived in uk we used the none eu immigration channel and showed both which the officer said was the correct thing to do , a lot quicker as well ! 

Flights were booked with our uk passport details as we had not become citizens at the time of booking 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Went back to uk in March , first time as Australian citizens , we had to show our Australian passport to leave and upon return , when we arrived in uk we used the none eu immigration channel and showed both which the officer said was the correct thing to do , a lot quicker as well ! 

Flights were booked with our uk passport details as we had not become citizens at the time of booking 

That's interesting, I've never been told I should show both and don't see why one would need to. All you need to enter the UK is the UK passport, holding an Australian one is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2017 at 21:02, Melby said:

Hello!

I'm sure it will work out great for you.

We are not sure yet of our destination have a few lined up.

Norfolk, Suffolk or Yorkshire - trying to decide. And will suss it out more once as have a look in October.  

We plan on making the big move beginning of January. Our house settles late August here in Victoria. 

Gives me plenty of time to organise things this end etc.  

You will have a busy day wow on the day of house settlement! 

Lovely parts of England. Quite different from each other though. Keep in mind mid January is middle of winter and it can be a long haul till the warmer months. Short days also and dark early although getting lighter slowly over the months. Be prepared for the winter and spring is all if coming over from the middle of an Aus summer. It can be a shock to the system as it can be moving the other way. 

Also schools will be part way through a school year ( start Sept) so keep that  in mind also. Half terms are handy mid term as schools have a week off. So a half term would be mid Feb or thereabouts. 

2 hours ago, Nemesis said:

That's interesting, I've never been told I should show both and don't see why one would need to. All you need to enter the UK is the UK passport, holding an Australian one is irrelevant. 

we showed our Australian passports because we were in the non eu channel, the uk/eu channel queue was going to take 15 min to get through so we went through non eu and just asked which one we should use straight through in 2 min

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

we showed our Australian passports because we were in the non eu channel, the uk/eu channel queue was going to take 15 min to get through so we went through non eu and just asked which one we should use straight through in 2 min

Did the same for the same reason the last time I went to the UK.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Thinking outside the box !

I was through in a couple of minute too and even better my luggage was almost first onto the roundabout thingy.  Was out of the airport in no time.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

That's fine for a holiday (although not sure if, as UK citizens, you are legally obliged to use your UK passports as in Australia) but the OP is moving to the UK so should enter using UK passports.  Otherwise they would be considered tourists on a holiday visa and it could lead to complications after 3 months, ie overstayed their visa.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Collie said:

That's fine for a holiday (although not sure if, as UK citizens, you are legally obliged to use your UK passports as in Australia) but the OP is moving to the UK so should enter using UK passports.  Otherwise they would be considered tourists on a holiday visa and it could lead to complications after 3 months, ie overstayed their visa.

Yes, you are right Collie.  Threads have a habit of going off on a tangent    ......................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collie said:

We were told by the boarder security officer that legally if you have a uk passport you are required to present it, we told them that we had recently become dual citizens and produced both and were  told we had followed the correct procedure , no complications what so ever 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

We were told by the boarder security officer that legally if you have a uk passport you are required to present it, we told them that we had recently become dual citizens and produced both and were  told we had followed the correct procedure , no complications what so ever 

So you entered the UK on a UK passport?  that's why you had no complications.

So it sound like the UK has the same rules as Australia.  An Australian citizen is legally obliged to leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport.  According to the advice you received a UK citizen is obliged to leave and enter the UK on a UK passport.

• Like 1

There is no rule in place for the UK stating that UK citizens must use a UK passport. 

Ozzie citizens must use ozzie passports in and out of Australia, US citizens must use a US passport in and out of the USA.

There is no equivalent rule for UK citizens. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

There is no rule in place for the UK stating that UK citizens must use a UK passport. 

Ozzie citizens must use ozzie passports in and out of Australia, US citizens must use a US passport in and out of the USA.

There is no equivalent rule for UK citizens. 

I am only stating what happened to us and what we were told by the boarder control officer at Manchester airport upon arrival