Taking my car home

ajcooper

I know most of you advise against this but I want to test the water anyway.  We have a relatively new Captiva that we'd probably consider taking over.  If anyone has done this then I'd appreciate some advice on the following;

1. cost to ship and shipping time
  2. insurance implications back in England

I know I'll need to get the dash change over to MPH and get the MOT done.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the same in the same position, however our car is not a new as yours and we brought it over with us when we came. It will be coming back with us though as it is a classic we have been working on for a long time now.

When we came over it was in the container with all our stuff, which took about three months to get here. That is the kind of time frame that we are working on for getting her back to the UK. Our car is an early 80’s model so hopefully there will not be the tax issues that new cars may face and also ours was first registered in the UK, so she is on the system. You need to check that there tax/import duty will not mean that it is not viable. The cost of the container with the car in was around 3.5k and we have heard that containers back start from 5-8k.

Most of the posts we have seen on here say that it is not worth taking a car back, but not sure if that is a new one or any in total. The cost of cars is quite cheap in the UK, so would you be better of selling it here and taking the money back with you to get another one there? The one reason we are taking ours back is due to its age and the fact that we have had it so long and worked on it all this time.

Have seen a few posts from Iron Chef before about this and he does seem to be the person to go to for advice. I have seen him advise that it is not worth it with some cars so be ready for tha

I must admit for that kind of money I do not blame you. Sell it here and then take the cash back. You will be able to get something decent in the UK for that kind of money and you will not have the issue of the duty, tax, insurance and all of that fun. Like said before, we would only consider it for a classic, one that had no rust and is worth the effort. Take it from the link that price was just for shipping the car on its own. Have you thought about adding it in the container of personal effects that you are going to ship back with you?

Just now, Phil & Vikki said:

I must admit for that kind of money I do not blame you. Sell it here and then take the cash back. You will be able to get something decent in the UK for that kind of money and you will not have the issue of the duty, tax, insurance and all of that fun. Like said before, we would only consider it for a classic, one that had no rust and is worth the effort. Take it from the link that price was just for shipping the car on its own. Have you thought about adding it in the container of personal effects that you are going to ship back with you?

To be honest, I'm trying to keep the shipping to an absolute minimum so don't expect to have a container.   I think my wife and kids have different ideas!

4 hours ago, ajcooper said:

To be honest, I'm trying to keep the shipping to an absolute minimum so don't expect to have a container.   I think my wife and kids have different ideas!

Lol good luck with that one. In saying that though we are going to try and keep shipping bits back to a minimum. When we came over we brought everything. Some boxes are still in the garage after 6 years. We will have a big sort out before we go so we don't make that mistake again.

Edited by Phil & Vikki

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, bristolman said:

With the price of cars here i would only contemplate shipping to the UK if it was a classic or historic car to be honest. 

We were just talking about again this tonight as I flip-flop between taking/not taking.  It's certainly not a classic, but the resale value compared to getting a new car in England doesn't make the cost of shipping that hard to swallow.  I'm sure I'll change my mind again in a few weeks :)

That is a good point, as with my old British car, I have to get the bits shipped in from the UK. The funny thing is that is cheaper than trying to get the bits here. In the UK, you may have the same issue and then you have to take into account the over prices of Australia. It always makes me laugh how prices are so high here. The other day I was looking at ebay for some male and female spade connectors for my car. On the first page it showed me ones from Australia. One place wanted $10 for the connectors and then $8.50 for the shipping. For gosh sakes they were only down the road. However, on page two it was the overseas suppliers. One place were asking $2.30 for the same connectors and free p&p from China. Can you guess which one I went for in the end? So I can only imagine what troubles you will face trying to get bits when you need them. Also it will be harder to shift when and if you want to trade in or move on.

On 03/07/2017 at 10:10, ajcooper said:

I know most of you advise against this but I want to test the water anyway.  We have a relatively new Captiva that we'd probably consider taking over.  If anyone has done this then I'd appreciate some advice on the following;

1. cost to ship and shipping time
  2. insurance implications back in England

I know I'll need to get the dash change over to MPH and get the MOT done.

Thanks

We took our Captiva over end of 2013 cost around £1209 for modification etc  it needs  an IVA test - an Individual vehicle test We had a firm pick the car up from the docks modify it and get it on the road then brought up north to our home

It will cost an arm and a leg to insure though as its an import and depends if you personally can get some no claims i think it was £1200 the first year I will look for shipping costs although we did a 40ft container with car and furniture 

I will look documents up i think i still have scans etc 

On 10/08/2017 at 23:46, bristolman said:

Another thing is parts availability, I don't think Vauxhall sold them here but there is a Chevy Captiva though. It might be the same as the Vauxhall Antara though. 

Depreciation will be brutal and insurance could be interesting as well. 

Parts were no problem with ours but insurance phew !

13 hours ago, Patphillips47 said:

We took our Captiva over end of 2013 cost around £1209 for modification etc  it needs  an IVA test - an Individual vehicle test We had a firm pick the car up from the docks modify it and get it on the road then brought up north to our home

It will cost an arm and a leg to insure though as its an import and depends if you personally can get some no claims i think it was £1200 the first year I will look for shipping costs although we did a 40ft container with car and furniture 

I have no idea what insurance costs these days in England but that sounds like a lot :S

For just that reason (not having any no claims bonus) we will be driving our old Citroen C3 when we get back. On leaving the UK we gave it to family and now it has worked its way back to us. She is an 04 plate, but all paid for and after a bit of work she will be goat to run around until she gives up the goat. She does not owe us anything now. So we can drive her for a year on 3rd party and get the no claims building up :rolleyes:

From talking to friends back in the UK, the price of car insurance has gone up and up year on year.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Patphillips47 said:

I will look documents up i think i still have scans etc 

With the costs that you have mentioned along with the trouble you went through, it does make you ask if it is all worth it all. We will be bringing our classic car back with us when we return, however she was originally registered in the UK and if we do a search on the DVLA website, she is still on there. We like to think of it as she has been on a long holiday with us lol. We are hoping that we will not have the issues of importing a new car. However, the insurance and the no claims will still be an issue.

6 hours ago, Phil & Vikki said:

For just that reason (not having any no claims bonus) we will be driving our old Citroen C3 when we get back. On leaving the UK we gave it to family and now it has worked its way back to us. She is an 04 plate, but all paid for and after a bit of work she will be goat to run around until she gives up the goat. She does not owe us anything now. So we can drive her for a year on 3rd party and get the no claims building up :rolleyes:

From talking to friends back in the UK, the price of car insurance has gone up and up year on year.

My wife drives a C3 to work and for shopping, 60mpg and £30 road tax. Our insurance goes down every year. If it goes up then just go elsewhere. 

6 hours ago, Phil & Vikki said:

With the costs that you have mentioned along with the trouble you went through, it does make you ask if it is all worth it all. We will be bringing our classic car back with us when we return, however she was originally registered in the UK and if we do a search on the DVLA website, she is still on there. We like to think of it as she has been on a long holiday with us lol. We are hoping that we will not have the issues of importing a new car. However, the insurance and the no claims will still be an issue.

Classic insurance won't be an issue, we insure a classic car and they don't use our no claims anyway. It costs us £140 a year including full breakdown cover, agreed value and we get the wreck back if the unthinkable happens. What car is it if you don't mind me asking ? 

Classic insurance won't be an issue, we insure a classic car and they don't use our no claims anyway. It costs us £140 a year including full breakdown cover, agreed value and we get the wreck back if the unthinkable happens. What car is it if you don't mind me asking ? 

Ours is a 1980 Triumph TR7. Not quite the thing you need if you have a family of five, but had it over 12 years now so you could almost say we are a family of six [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PomsinOz mobile app