Got an Invitation to apply 189 visa.

janesnj

Hi All,

I submitted my EOI on 15th June 2017 and i recently got an invitation on 20th June to apply the 189 visa (claim 65 points).. Just wondering though, what are the chances of getting the 189 visa if all documentation are in order and i can support all my claims? Im asking because it seems like they require me to pay AUD7200 (applying for my spouse n 2 kids as well) and its a huge sum for me.. If end up no visa granted, will the money be burned? or will i get a refund/partial refund if visa not granted? Quite scared to take such risk if i mostly ended up not having the visa.

I got a few other small questions as well:

So once i click submit now, they will prompt me to make payment.. So what are the next step after i have made payment? Will they immediately ask me to upload all my documents?

Do they need me to provide proof documentation of my spouse employment history even though im am NOT claiming my partner skill points?

Is it necessary for my spouse to do IELTS? He is has an honors degree from the United Kingdom but it was on the year 2000. Can i use that to show/proof that he has at least functional English language ability?

Both my kids are only 5.5 years old and 1.5 years old respectively, do they need to do health assessments / checks  and police checks as well?

Thank you all for taking your time to read this and answering my questions. It will be greatly appreciated... We really do need the visa for a brighter future for our kids.

Edited by janesnj

No, you would not get a refund for a refusal. You just need to make sure you have everything correct such as skills assessment, points are correct, ILETS completed if required or claiming points for them and other aspects. 

Your children will not need police checks but will require medicals. 

After you click submit and pay the application fees, the link to upload your documents will appear.  You don't need employment documents for your spouse if you haven't claimed points.  Your spouse will need evidence of having Functional English to avoid paying an additional fee of approx. $4900, so it's possible their university studies will be sufficient for this if the documentation meets the criteria.  He may need to contact the university for a letter regarding this.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 13:27, jagzz said:

You are at the verge of getting the visa. If your all documents are genuine the go ahead... Wish you a good luck..
Or you can pay your visa fees initially it will cost you less..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using PomsinOz mobile app

Hi Jagzz, what do u mean by i can pay my visa fees initially? How would it cost less?

1 hour ago, The Accountant said:

Thats great that you have received the invitation within such a very short period. May we know the occupation for which you received the invitation? 

I nominate Valuer as my occupation..

IIRC, the only documents required for my spouse, who I also didn't claim any points, was the usual ID documents, wedding certificate , and education certificates (including high school).

Once you submit your application, you have to pay and have need to upload the documents. If the case officer asks for anything you need to provide it fairly quickly. You'll also need to do police checks and medical. The fee is at risk if you can't substantiate everything in your EOI. You were invited on the back of the EOI, so if something affects the points claimed and you can't back it up then you're at risk of losing your money.

Sent from a really tiny keyboard - pardon random autocorrects and fat-finger typos

thats great news,  i submitted a few days before the most recent round and also got an invite straight away. It means we now have 60 days to submit an applications doesn't it? 
I am also curious as to what [mention=264781]jagzz[/mention] means about paying the fees initially ?

I nominate Valuer as my occupation..

I need some clarity on this because visa fees is very high for 4 family members... Is it possible if main applicant apply for visa by paying $ 3600 and once main applicants gets the visa he can apply for other family members later on....

Can anybody help on this..

42 minutes ago, jagzz said:

I need some clarity on this because visa fees is very high for 4 family members... Is it possible if main applicant apply for visa by paying $ 3600 and once main applicants gets the visa he can apply for other family members later on....

Can anybody help on this..

The main applicant can apply, listing the partner and children as non-migrating dependents. That means only the main applicant will get a visa BUT the dependents still all need medicals (and police checks if they are over 16) even if not migrating. 

Once the main applicant has PR they can then sponsor their partner for a Spouse Visa, at a cost (currently) of $7000, the children could be listed as dependents, and there is an additional fee for each child. Plus another set of medicals and police checks, and a wait of several months (maybe a year of more) for the Spouse Visa to be granted.

28 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The main applicant can apply, listing the partner and children as non-migrating dependents. That means only the main applicant will get a visa BUT the dependents still all need medicals (and police checks if they are over 16) even if not migrating. 

Once the main applicant has PR they can then sponsor their partner for a Spouse Visa, at a cost (currently) of $7000, the children could be listed as dependents, and there is an additional fee for each child. Plus another set of medicals and police checks, and a wait of several months (maybe a year of more) for the Spouse Visa to be granted.

Woah.. this means that it will be more expensive this way (as in i get my visa first then pay 7000 for spouse visa)  isnt it? Since now im only paying 7200 for all 4 people...

Edited by janesnj

Correct. If you are worried about things, then why not get a proffessional to look through it before you hot apply. There are a number of excellent registered migration agents on the forum. 

Personally, I always recomend using an agent - have had three visas and gained citizenship and yes, it is easy to make an error that results in refusal. An agent I know has recently dealt with a case of a doctor who made an error on a date and was refused. Not only is it bye bye fee, but potentially even a bar from reapplying 

• Like 1

I don't think there is too much to worry if you can back up what you have claimed. Unless there are serious issues with Health or some criminal records, your application should go through. Everyone who applies for PR has to take the same risks. If you want you can run it by an agent like @VERYSTORMY suggested to look through your eligibility and paper work to suggest if everything is fine. I paid a small fee to a registered migration agent to understand the process before filing for Child Visa for my new born. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 00:35, VERYSTORMY said:

Correct. If you are worried about things, then why not get a proffessional to look through it before you hot apply. There are a number of excellent registered migration agents on the forum. 

Personally, I always recomend using an agent - have had three visas and gained citizenship and yes, it is easy to make an error that results in refusal. An agent I know has recently dealt with a case of a doctor who made an error on a date and was refused. Not only is it bye bye fee, but potentially even a bar from reapplying 

i understand.. but i cant really afford an agent fee, thats why im trying to apply n do myself... thank you very much for all your input though.. very helpful indeed...

One more question though.. lets say Visa is granted, how much time were we given before moving to Australia? I remembered many years ago when my friend did it, they told me they were given a time frame (i have forgotten how long, 6 months maybe?) to go into Australia to 'activate' the visa.. then i can come back to my home country again..

And the 189 visa is for 5 years right? I was told we must stay for at least 2 years? in order for me to be able to renew the visa with no condition after 5 years right?

Im asking these questions cause i dont plan to migrate that soon.. I plan to only migrate maybe 2 years later...

1 minute ago, janesnj said:

i understand.. but i cant really afford an agent fee, thats why im trying to apply n do myself... thank you very much for all your input though.. very helpful indeed...

One more question though.. lets say Visa is granted, how much time were we given before moving to Australia? I remembered many years ago when my friend did it, they told me they were given a time frame (i have forgotten how long, 6 months maybe?) to go into Australia to 'activate' the visa.. then i can come back to my home country again..

And the 189 visa is for 5 years right? I was told we must stay for at least 2 years? in order for me to be able to renew the visa with no condition after 5 years right?

Im asking these questions cause i dont plan to migrate that soon.. I plan to only migrate maybe 2 years later...

You may be give up to 12 months from the date of medicals or PCC. You need to make your initial entry before that. You can just get in clear immigration and go back if you want but you need to make your first trip. That date mostly is not flexible unless you probably have a compelling reason for not making that date and Australian immigration is kind enough to extend. Once you have done that you need to make your move within the 5 years of your PR Visa. Once you land in Australian your PR status itself is indefinite, only your travel part of your PR will expire after 5 years. You only need to obtain a Return Resident Visa when you have to travel outside Australia. If you stay in Australia you don't need to renew anything.

3 minutes ago, path2aus said:

You may be give up to 12 months from the date of medicals or PCC. You need to make your initial entry before that. You can just get in clear immigration and go back if you want but you need to make your first trip. That date mostly is not flexible unless you probably have a compelling reason for not making that date and Australian immigration is kind enough to extend. Once you have done that you need to make your move within the 5 years of your PR Visa. Once you land in Australian your PR status itself is indefinite, only your travel part of your PR will expire after 5 years. You only need to obtain a Return Resident Visa when you have to travel outside Australia. If you stay in Australia you don't need to renew anything.

Ahhh... i see.. thanks so much...

Sorry..i just read something else in a different thread... I must submit/upload all my 7 plus years worth of payslip? I did my skill assessment under Vetassess, submitting whatever document Vetassess asked me to submit (i did not submit all my 7 years of pay slip.. Only the latest 3 months payslip) n i got a positive outcome... So now, when i submit my application for Visa, I must show all 7 years worth of payslip??? (even though i did not submit to Vetassess)... Can anyone clarify this please? I dont have all 7 years worth of pay slip...

You have to submit all evidence to justify your points claimed. So if you are claiming a certain amount of points for a number of years worked in a specific field you have to supply evidence to back that up, ie pay slips or a contract or a letter from your employer.

We went through all the same with the 189. Made sure we had all the evidence required plus more. Even for dependants. Just to make it easy for the CO.

Once we were assigned a CO it took 8 days to be approved. This was for physiotherapy.

If you have the points plus evidence to back the points and valid skills assessments etc I can't see any issues at all.

3 minutes ago, cornishlad said:

You have to submit all evidence to justify your points claimed. So if you are claiming a certain amount of points for a number of years worked in a specific field you have to supply evidence to back that up, ie pay slips or a contract or a letter from your employer.

We went through all the same with the 189. Made sure we had all the evidence required plus more. Even for dependants. Just to make it easy for the CO.

Once we were assigned a CO it took 8 days to be approved. This was for physiotherapy.

If you have the points plus evidence to back the points and valid skills assessments etc I can't see any issues at all.

Yes.. I do have contract and letter from my employer.. I don't just have 7 years worth of payslip only.. I guess that should be okay right? 

1 minute ago, janesnj said:

Yes.. I do have contract and letter from my employer.. I don't just have 7 years worth of payslip only.. I guess that should be okay right? 

It should be yes. You can always call up just to justify.

They can't expect everyone to keep years and years of pay slips. If you have a few end of tax year forms from a few years back it wouldn't hurt to upload those as well.

Once you get assigned a CO if they want more evidence they will just ask for a bit more. They won't just refuse your application right there and then

4 hours ago, janesnj said:

Do you have your P60s?  Those will show your employer and income from them.