Accommodation advice needed

My OH has had his contract of employment sent to him and it says that they will pay for 3 months accommodation but we have to find it. Ideally we want furnished as we can't send anything out if we don't have an address to forward it to. Can anyone advise what's the best way to go around this.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

Try Stayz or Airbnb, they do longer term holiday lets which are usually furnished but otherwise you will struggle to get anything ahead of time as REAs like you to have eyeballed the place before you sign a contract and ditto, you will want to see what you are signing up for.

If you don't have, or won't have, your stuff, your employer is only forking out for 3 months then, yes, I think I would.  You can't usually get a longer term place unless you are in the country because they want to eyeball you and vice versa. Long term rentals aren't usually fully furnished. 

11 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

My OH has had his contract of employment sent to him and it says that they will pay for 3 months accommodation but we have to find it. Ideally we want furnished as we can't send anything out if we don't have an address to forward it to. Can anyone advise what's the best way to go around this.

Another option is serviced apartments. There are a lot of them around. And you can negotiate the rate for a three month stay. Add parking or free internet. There are some real estate agencies that has stock of fully furnished apartments but you will have to connect the utilities and internet yourself and also you have to shell out for the bond (which is retrieved a few weeks after you move out of the place.)  And because 3-month is considered short term, the agent will view the application more favourably if you add some $ to the rent. It is to cover advertising/marketing costs. I had a client who is a professor from the University of Bristol. We did that and we got the place overlooking Albert Park Lake so she had an address before she left Bristol. She gave me four days to look for a place for her.  haha. My client was doing a sabbatical. We calculated the costs of utilities, our fee, rent, internet costs and it came out slightly cheaper than going through serviced apartments. The cheapest serviced apartment I could find her for three months was still $139 a night for a one bedroom. I'm taking about Melbourne, by the way. I can't comment on other cities.   

Edited by snifter
Fixed quote and reply

On 6/30/2017 at 02:31, sunshinedawn said:

Hi, some accommodation providers (such as ourselves) will offer use of their address as an Australian postal address, even before you arrive.

Edited by buzzy--bee

Hi, well we're not a company as such, just a "mum and dad" operation, but if you PM me your email address I would be happy to email you details.  Over the last 7 years we have helped people from all over the world start their new lives in Melbourne.

Guest The Pom Queen
3 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

Great, what's your company called so I can find it on Google and see what you have to rent.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using PomsinOz mobile app

I can verify @buzzy--bee is genuine, when we owned a relocation company in Melbourne we used his property on numerous occasions.

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a chat with him as we have had 3 people stay there before. TBH it isn't far from the CBD at all. What you need to do is find an area you think you would like to settle in after. We moved to Beaumaris when we first came out but we couldn't afford property there and wanted to be in a more family orientated Suburb, so we basically couldn't start the children at school until our 3 months was up and we found something else.

Guest The Pom Queen

It is a minefield but don't worry too much about getting it right first time. We moved from Beaumaris to Lynbrook to Lyndhurst all in 6 months. You need to look at your budget, what type of property you want ie apartment or house and how far hubby is willing to travel. I commuted on a daily basis to North Melbourne from Lyndhurst by car. 

8 hours ago, sunshinedawn said:

Thanks for the information, but it will not be big enough for us (we are a family of 3) and it's too far from husband's office he's based in the CBD.

Hi Dawn, we can accommodate 3 although really only if the 3rd one is a baby or toddler!

As far as being too far from the CBD, hundreds of people commute from where we are every day.  Not sure how long a commute you are looking for, we are about 45 mins.  Many people commute for well over an hour each way.