Electrician - skilled visa application

Hi guys, we are just starting to look into applying for a skilled 189 visa. I'm not sure when we are looking to move but I have a few questions if anyone can help.

1. My husband has done is city and guild qualifications up to level 3. He hasn't done his NVQ as most of his work was done on rail and therefore couldn't do the NVQ in domestic work. What certificates would be need to provide or does he need to get his NVQ before we can apply.

2. Would it be worth speaking to an immigration lawyer to assist with all this? If so how much roughly is it? Also can anyone recommend anyone in south east area?

3. We will need to sell our house and we also have a lot of debt here, is this something we will need to pay off before we leave?

Sorry for all the questions it's all a bit much and there's so much information on this.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Your husbands qualifications and experience will complicate the skills assessment and as a result, I think you will need a registered migration agent. There is a big difference between a migration lawyer and a registered agent and there are a number of excellent ones that post on here. 

Fees will vary by how complex your case is and how much you want then to do, but they should be able to tell you up front. 

Yes, you should clear debt, some companies will allow you to come to an arrangement, but do remember that nearly half of people come back to the UK and any debt left behind would just get worse in absence and grow. Do also be aware this isn't a cheap process. All up, it is about £30,000 and you should not sell until you have a visa in hand, though a lot of that isn't needed until then. 

• Like 2

Pretty sure the NVQ was the main certificate I had to supply for my skills assessment only a few months ago. Along with all individual supporting certificates, and mountain of paperwork they ask for. I did my skills assessment with down under centre and through future skills. 

Pretty sure the NVQ was the main certificate I had to supply for my skills assessment only a few months ago. Along with all individual supporting certificates, and mountain of paperwork they ask for. I did my skills assessment with down under centre and through future skills. 

Thanks, I don't suppose you have details for them do you?
My husband has possibly come into the opportunity of being able to do his NVQ so hopefully that will still go ahead

On 2017-6-28 at 18:51, VERYSTORMY said:

Your husbands qualifications and experience will complicate the skills assessment and as a result, I think you will need a registered migration agent. There is a big difference between a migration lawyer and a registered agent and there are a number of excellent ones that post on here. 

Fees will vary by how complex your case is and how much you want then to do, but they should be able to tell you up front. 

Yes, you should clear debt, some companies will allow you to come to an arrangement, but do remember that nearly half of people come back to the UK and any debt left behind would just get worse in absence and grow. Do also be aware this isn't a cheap process. All up, it is about £30,000 and you should not sell until you have a visa in hand, though a lot of that isn't needed until then. 

Hi verystormy, I'm currently in this process for 189 as electrician and just curious were your getting the £30,000 figure from? I havnt spent even a third that amount and I'm almost done. Any info would be great 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RobynLines said:

Thanks, I don't suppose you have details for them do you?
My husband has possibly come into the opportunity of being able to do his NVQ so hopefully that will still go ahead

I would recommend giving them a call on 020 3376 1555. Theyre brilliant at the down under centre and very knowledgeable about everything. I dealt with Nikki Chilvers, she was brilliant. The future skills paperwork building up to the skills assessment is the worst part of everything 

I would recommend giving them a call on 020 3376 1555. Theyre brilliant at the down under centre and very knowledgeable about everything. I dealt with Nikki Chilvers, she was brilliant. The future skills paperwork building up to the skills assessment is the worst part of everything 

Oh perfect thank you for your help. I will give them a call tomorrow

39 minutes ago, woody2709 said:

Hi verystormy, I'm currently in this process for 189 as electrician and just curious were your getting the £30,000 figure from? I havnt spent even a third that amount and I'm almost done. Any info would be great 

The visa costs are one of the tiny amounts. 

Add:

shipping, flights, temporary accomodation, buying a car, buying things like mobiles and the million other things you need on arrival, add short term accomodation, add first months rent and bond needed to secure a rental, add paying all your household bills, rent, food, running a car and everything else you need to live on while you look for a job - on the forum, we recomend you budget for this for a bare minimum of 3 months but preferably six months. You easy get to 30k. Though for electricians, you need to budget you will need to pay for courses - can be several grand and spend a year gaining a license while working, and being paid as a trade assistant. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 19:03, VERYSTORMY said:

Add:

shipping, flights, temporary accomodation, buying a car, buying things like mobiles and the million other things you need on arrival, add short term accomodation, add first months rent and bond needed to secure a rental, add paying all your household bills, rent, food, running a car and everything else you need to live on while you look for a job - on the forum, we recomend you budget for this for a bare minimum of 3 months but preferably six months. You easy get to 30k. Though for electricians, you need to budget you will need to pay for courses - can be several grand and spend a year gaining a license while working, and being paid as a trade assistant. 

Ah fair enough, I thought you meant just the visa process. I was worried for a second haha. I already have everything else setup from living out there the last few years

On 01/07/2017 at 02:03, VERYSTORMY said:

Add:

Yep £30,000 is a fair figure, my partner is an Electrician to and we have been here for 16 months now and we probably spent this much until he gained his wa licence x

• Like 1

Yep £30,000 is a fair figure, my partner is an Electrician to and we have been here for 16 months now and we probably spent this much until he gained his wa licence x

Do you have any advice for us? Did he have his NVQ? What qualifications does he have and what other further studies did he need to do? Did he have a job there before or did he get it after you arrived. Where do you guys live?

1 hour ago, RobynLines said:

Do you have any advice for us? Did he have his NVQ? What qualifications does he have and what other further studies did he need to do? Did he have a job there before or did he get it after you arrived. Where do you guys live?

Hi, yes he had his NVQ3, then you sit the vetassess test to prove you can do the job, he also had to sit the English test because we were 5 points short (he was 35 when we applied), we also used a agent so they handle everything and know what they are talking about, we live in Perth, we both came out with no jobs, but we had savings so we were lucky, and you have to train as an electrician to gain your Australian licence which can be tricky to get someone to employ you as you have to do 1000 hours on the job (750 before you can apply for your test), and the pay is not great while you are training, we still have our house in the uk but that is because we have a really great Tennent, renting here is fairly reasonable we pay $360 a week for a 2 bed apartment on a great complex fully furnished with a pool, but we will be buying next year.  I also have a great job as a hotel receptionist down at Cottesloe beach, so all in all we were very lucky and absolutely love it, anything else you want to ask just send me a private message, hope this helps xx

On 30/06/2017 at 18:26, RobynLines said:

Oh perfect thank you for your help. I will give them a call tomorrow

I also remember as part of the skills assessment criteria that I needed so many years post NVQ experience to be applicable for the test. But definitely call the down under centre tomorrow for accurate information as every case is different 

• Like 1

So I've just been looking at my husbands certificates he got from college and it says diploma in electrical installation (building and structures) level 2 & 3. I'm assuming now that I've completed assessments wrong as I put them as trade Certs but should have actually put in diploma?

So I've just been looking at my husbands certificates he got from college and it says diploma in electrical installation (building and structures) level 2 & 3. I'm assuming now that I've completed assessments wrong as I put them as trade Certs but should have actually put in diploma?

Who did you submit them too?

Sent from my SM-G935F using PomsinOz mobile app

So I've given them a call. They have recommended waiting a year to gain that extra year experience for skills assessment test. However we're going to do a consultation to ensure this as we qualify even without the work experience. Fingers crossed but we don't mind waiting a year anyway as we're not in a massive rush.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobynLines said:

So I've given them a call. They have recommended waiting a year to gain that extra year experience for skills assessment test. However we're going to do a consultation to ensure this as we qualify even without the work experience. Fingers crossed but we don't mind waiting a year anyway as we're not in a massive rush.

This was following a discussion with the Down Under Centre?

Best regards.

• Like 1