Pets to UK

Pome sammy

Hi all,  lots of planning and organising happening here for our return to the UK in April next year (counting the days).  I just wondered what opinions were on returning pets to the UK.  I have had a very reasonable quote from Dogtainers for transporting our dog and 2 cats back to UK with us.  Whilst I'm sure the dog will cope and will settle with us wherever we may be, I'm not so sure about the cats.  They are an important part of our family unit and to leave them behind would break the children's hearts but I don't want to be cruel to the cats.  Cats don't like change, I know after our last house move how long it took them to settle.  With this in mind is there a difference between rehoming them here or bringing them home with us to UK.

Any advise or experience with animals moving be great.

Thanks

• Like 1

Lots of people take their cats either way, to and from Aus. Cats don't like to travel in cars etc generally but honestly, in a crate for 24 hours or so isn't the end of the world for them. TBH cats tend to settle most places if they have someone to feed them and care for them but some can struggle and not want to be in the new home setting. Place over people for the cat whereas the dog would probably rather the people over the place. Your kids may well have to just learn to accept they don't come with you should you leave them behind. I think kids might be sad for a while but finding them a new home over them dying is a bit different loss wise IMHO. 

Things to consider for me would be things like

* Securing a rental with 1 dog and 2 cats once there. Research areas and options. If you have a house already, not an issue. Also if your cats are indoor cats in Aus, you should be prepared to keep them as indoor in the UK also. 

* You know your cats. If they really struggle to settle after a move, it could be better to leave them. If they are not overly affectionate cats and prefer to be independent, could be another plus to leave them. 

* Cat rescues are overflowing both here and in the UK (wait lists to take in unwanted pets is long in many areas). If you did leave them behind here are they of an age you could rehome them easily? Younger, fit and well, desexed and chipped? Would you be prepared to hand them over to a decent rescue over rehoming them yourselves? I say this as all too often rehomes via friends falls through or goes wrong and the pet is left without any fallback. Going through a decent rescue means that if the person can no longer keep the pet they are obliged to return it to the rescue they got it from and the rescue will ensure its rehomed again with the same policy. At least this offers some protection for the pet. 

* Cost. Shipping 2 cats back isn't cheap. Ok its probably less than a dog but it can still add a fair chunk to an already expensive move. 

End of the day, you do what you think is best. I'd put the cats needs before yours and if this means you take or leave them, you'll know what you want to do and figure out the best way forward to make it happen. I know plenty of people who have rehomed before a move overseas, others who take their cats and dogs. What is right for one pet and person isn't for another, there is no hard and fast rule on it all :)

Hi

We brought our cat with us from the UK, and she was very nervous and didn't like strangers and she coped fine.

We are returning to the UK in 2 weeks time and we now have 2 cats that we adopted from the RSPCA who are coming with us, we have moved interstate with them and both coped well with that. They are very insecure but are happy as long as they are with us. We are currently in a serviced apartment as moved out of our home and they settled in 24 hours.

My cats are my family and I couldn't leave them behind. We are using Jet pets and so far they have been very good and helpful.  I have called them so many times with different questions and changing my mind and they are always helpful and nothing too much trouble. I am very high maintenance! ?

• Like 1

Hi there

My husband and I are from the UK, moved with our Labrador a couple of years ago and had to come home a few months ago due to ill family. We used Petraveller - ask for Lenny, they were amazing! We had the crate a few weeks before so he could get used to it again, then when they came in the morning to pick him up they were so lovely and put our minds at ease. Our dog was allowed one of his toys and they told us to put in an item of clothing that smelt like us. We even had a video sent via email of our dog in the crate before he boarded the pane.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi @Pome sammy @Disney

We're moving to England on 26 July - first time I've ever lived in England and will be going to Peterborough to stay to start with.  We're taking 2 senior cats back - both who hate travelling in the car.  The last 8 months I've been taking the 10.5yr old to Animal Dermatology in Osborne Park and Murdoch for allergies plus trips to local vet (we're in Rockingham).  So we travel with him out of the carrier and put him in when we arrive at vets.

He is a rescue from Cat Haven; he has become better at traveling and I think part of it is we're not stressing and over compensating - perhaps they pick up on us making out something major is going on. (perhaps part of it anyway).

We considered this theory and took our cats for small drives together in the car (out of carrier) now and then just to get them used to the discomfort - they're fine and my 13yr old has Hyperthyroidism.  We know they're not going to like leaving our home but they're our family and rehoming them would not be in their best interest - they're our fur babies. 

Cats can be put in the same carrier - we're using Dogtainers.  The difference for 2 cats in 2 crates v's 2 cats in 1 crate is only $150 less. Dogtainers did tell me when making booking that Emirates does not allow dogs and cats on the same flight.  So you may want to discuss this and I'm not across all the options - there would be a few.  I would take the cats as rehoming them is (in my opinion) far more stressful.  Cats are very resilient and will deal with the change.

If they're loved and your family please take them with you.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I feel the cats should come with us as we wouldn't want them to end up in a rescue centre, I have worked in one of those volunteering and they are sad places for a cat to end up.  My cats are family as well and I think although initially it might be stressful for them, they will settle and will be far better of than in a possible rescue situation.

The quote we had from dogtainers is in my opinion very good, including crates, a British Bulldog and the 2 moggies $5100.I will have a look at Petraveller as well as I hadn't heard of them before.  What quotes have others had? if you don't mind me asking,

Thanks again

• Like 1

Re your bulldog, where are you flying him/her theough? Dubai? I know the pet shippers are probably dealing with it but ensure you know your options re stop over etc for the dog and are aware of the heat there and time on the ground etc. Just being a snub nosed breed long haul flights and heat can be problematic. 

Hi @Pome sammy

Our quote Perth to Heathrow for 2 cats was $3570. I think it goes on dimensions & weight.  That was cats in same crate.  Our cats get along so we feel it will help having them together. 

Dogtainers explained stop over in Dubai and they are taken by the local Dubai cat & dog kennel carrier in air conditioning van to the  holding facility which is air conditioned and enclosed etc.  I asked about how long on the tarmac and will ask again to be sure.  In the holding facility the dogs are taken out of crate, on lead & crate cleaned & dogs given water & walk in the facility to stretch their legs. 

Then taken back to plane via same van.  I do have to ask again how long before plane take off from Dubai. I can't remember the answer. 

I'm so glad you're going to take the cats.  I do think with the whole family together (that means the fur babies) they will be better off. 

I found Dogtainers very easy too deal with & attention to detail.  They picked up anamoly on the rabies certificate we didn't see.  

Hope all going well