Evidence of Australian citizenship for new baby

JoannaAch

Hi all,

We are PR and are expecting a baby in October. As I need to get his passport ASAP to go on a family holiday, I started looking at the documents needed for the passport application.

I have two questions regarding the form 119 Evidence of Australian citizenship and I would really appreciate if someone could help:

1. In the "Identity documents checklist" for Children it lists "Another document showing a photograph and current name, for example a passport or a student card". However, a newborn won't have such a document yet - Should I just ignore it?

2. In the "Citizenship details" section, question 12 is: Do you hold the citizenship of any other country?. Should I select "No" as he baby won't have any other passport at the time or "Yes" as the baby will have a right to citizenship in our country of birth?

Thanks for any input in advance,

Joanna

Getting the birth certificate is the first step, then apply for his passport.  You can get an expedited passport if you pay (even more) money.  Getting an "acceptable" photo of a new baby is always fun!  But you really need to address your question to one of the migration agents on this forum.

Thanks Roberta2!

The birth certificate seems to be very straightforward, my main worry is that they won't accept citizenship evidence application without "Another document showing a photograph and current name, for example a passport or a student card"... I guess most people arriving in Australia would have a second passport when applying for that document, which won't be the case for a newborn. I guess we just wait and hope that the rules are not ridiculous and take that into consideration... :)