Social worker - children's

Makeamove

Hi all, 

i have made the first steps on making the move.

Any other social workers made the move? Also my experience is in child protection, how difficult is this field to find a job? 

Any info would be great, we are in the very early stages and trying to remain realistic. 

Not difficult to find CP jobs, the turn over is huge so they are usually available. UK CP workers are often frustrated by Australian SW practices though. Must say they were a breath of fresh air when I worked in an associated field but none of them stuck around for long, more's the pity.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Quoll. It is heading in the right direction but at least 10 years behind the UK in terms of approach. A lot of people find it frustrating. 

NDIS is coming in soon so this will mean that there is more pressure on jobs - people will be transferring from disability services to other fields of social work, but I still think that in CP you should be okay. 

• 2 weeks later...

My friend emigrated to Brisbane in January. She's a social worker (children) & found it immensely hard to find work. She had to pay a lot to get her quals etc verified too (or something like that). She's got a Job now & is on around 65k, which is a pretty average salary on the grand scheme of things. I know she's struggling Day to day in the job with the different rules & regs. She said their way behind in the way they do things! Sorry that's not a very positive story, every bodies story will be different. Sounds like some decent British social workers over here is what is needed!! All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

12 hours ago, aconcannon said:

Sounds like some decent British social workers over here is what is needed!! All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Are you serious?  British Social workers are not perfect, there are plenty horror stories from the UK which would never have happened should the social workers been doing their jobs properly.

• Like 1

Are you serious?  British Social workers are not perfect, there are plenty horror stories from the UK which would never have happened should the social workers been doing their jobs properly.

I'm not a social worker myself so I couldn't possibly comment, but going off what my friends says & she is a social worker, the Brits seems to be a bit more up to speed than the Aussies - well in Brisbane anyway

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

58 minutes ago, aconcannon said:

I'm not a social worker myself so I couldn't possibly comment, but going off what my friends says & she is a social worker, the Brits seems to be a bit more up to speed than the Aussies - well in Brisbane anyway

I've heard that said by so many poms (here) in so many fields of expertise. In nursing for example, in my experience, the ones i know that can truly nurse in a caring and highly professional manner, speak highly of nursing standards and practice here. Those that don't are invariably those who shirk,"get up folks' noses" and struggle to make friends. Likely they would whinge whatever country they were in.

My experience of Child Safety is that it has come on leaps and bounds both in personnel and practice/legislation since I was fostering and that carers are now treated as equals and their opinions held in high regards by staff who genuinely do care but nevertheless, are still under heavy workload/pressure.

1 hour ago, aconcannon said:

They may well be up to speed but the system within which they work does not like them to come up with innovative or improved practice unfortunately. 

Great information, I have heard about the policies over there being very different.... BUT as a SW I'm guessing the main ethics of the job remain the same no matter where I work in the world. I'm hoping to secure a job before I move or at least head in that direction so that it's not a struggle finding one and from what I've already looked at it doesn't appear to look difficult to find CP roles.

Just starting the process to get my skills assessed. 

May be worth reching out to a few SWs in Australia on Linked In etc.  Some people are happy to have an email chat about the environment etc.  Expats are normally more responsive IME.

Also may open a few doors for you about potential opportunities.

Hi,

I am in the same position as you I am currently in the process of having my skills assessed by AASW and I am also a CP Social Worker. I have friends in Victoria who are CP social workers and really enjoy it. I am heading to Victoria as I have family there and I know for most CP government jobs this is through a recruitment agency called Mcarthur in Melbourne. I have recently sent my resume off to them. 

In terms of jobs as a CP worker I really dont think you will struggle too much to get a job, I too would like a job before I leave UK hence why I have started the process with Mcarthur and hopefully something may come of that.

Good Luck 

Yeah I've already been in touch with a few via a group on Facebook and they have given me loads of great advice about areas which have high demand for CP roles..... hopefully it will all piece together over the next year.... it's all mind boggling at the minute. Glad I found this place to help. 

Poppy, a work colleague of mine has just got a role with Mcarthur for the CP role in Victoria. Good luck with it all.

I also applied but they wanted it all done very quickly, within months and I've decided to go for the 189 visa instead of sponsorship 

• 1 month later...

Hello All, 

I have been offered a job as a CP practice Leader in Victoria, very good pay and reasonable relocation package. DHHS have sponsored me for 457 visa nomination has been approved just waiting on visa now. I applied direct rather than go through Macarthur, it was fine, longest part was waiting for skills assessment which took 6 months x

• 2 months later...
On 30/07/2017 at 07:58, Makeamove said:

in

Hi I’ve just been offered  an advanced role and in the process of negotiating my wage . I wish I would have applied for the senior non supervisor role to be honest but wanted to have more of a chance to get my foot in the door. How long has the process taken for you. I’d love to chat as I’m being sponsored too. I’ve applied for the Cheltenham office