Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

nava24

Travelling whilst on temp partner visa?

Recommended Posts

Hey all :)

 

New to this.

Currently is process of getting the first part of my partner visa and just wondering if you are allowed to travel whilst in Australia whilst they decide on the permanent part?

I have heard in some cases they ask you to report often and prove things before they give you the go ahead for the perm visa.

 

Any help is appreciated :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once your temporary visa is granted you won't here from them again until they're ready to process the permanent part (another two years).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nava24 said:

Hey all :)

 

New to this.

Currently is process of getting the first part of my partner visa and just wondering if you are allowed to travel whilst in Australia whilst they decide on the permanent part?

I have heard in some cases they ask you to report often and prove things before they give you the go ahead for the perm visa.

 

Any help is appreciated :)

You have full travel rights and can go wherever you like, there are no restrictions. But if you move house, change your name/address/passport/email etc then you need to keep DIBP informed so that when you become eligible for PR they know where and how to contact you. 

 

And if any of that travel involves you being away from your partner, keep every scrap of evidence about keeping in touch while apart.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Agree with Peach and Nemesis. 

Once the temp part is granted you won't hear from them till the 2 year mark. Then you'll need to provide evidence of your ongoing relationship from those 2 years, more stat decs etc (so pretty similar to what you are providing now). If you don't have that or have spent a long time apart or don't live together you could run into issues for the PR part but if you are living together, sharing a life and so on it should be pretty straightforward evidence to provide. Ensure you keep the bills, invoices, financial records, invites etc for those years. 

As Nemesis said, if you do spend time apart, keep the evidence as it could be vital to your PR stage. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a cap on the time you spend out of Australia during those 2 years though? I.e. you can't be away from the country more than X months in total or consecutively? (I mean I'm sure you can technically, but I wonder if it impacts the decision on PR). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, TheWayOfThePony said:

Is there a cap on the time you spend out of Australia during those 2 years though? I.e. you can't be away from the country more than X months in total or consecutively? (I mean I'm sure you can technically, but I wonder if it impacts the decision on PR). 

Not that I am aware of but it may be the case. I never really looked into that as had no need. I"m sure I recall someone who got a temp partner visa who then got their PR part while they were in the UK, then made the move to Aus after that. Or perhaps I am remembering it incorrectly a few years down the line. However, if its time spent apart with one person out of the country, that can be a real issue in terms of claiming an ongoing de facto relationship or marriage. 

That sort of thing impacts citizenship generally though. There are limits to how long you can be out of Aus in the years before applying to become a citizen. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just asking as me and my husband want to travel round Aus a few months after we arrive. Hes from Melbourne but hasnt seen all of Aus and wants to experience it with me :)


Sent from my SM-G930F using PomsinOz mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're planning on doing the same, partner is from Melbourne too, I've not read anywhere that we can't, I guess as long as we're contactable, and doesn't sound like they'll need to get hold of us for quite a while anyway!


Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Just make sure you'll have evidence for the second stage to reflect that :) So bookings for hotels you stay at, bank statements to show those months etc. All could come in handy for the PR stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We're planning on doing the same, partner is from Melbourne too, I've not read anywhere that we can't, I guess as long as we're contactable, and doesn't sound like they'll need to get hold of us for quite a while anyway!


Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Aww awesome :) what stage are you at with your visa?

????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just make sure you'll have evidence for the second stage to reflect that  So bookings for hotels you stay at, bank statements to show those months etc. All could come in handy for the PR stage.

Thank you for your help :) youve been very reassuring.

????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not applied for it yet, will be doing it at the beginning of August . Can't wait to just get it done.
What about you?


Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not applied for it yet, will be doing it at the beginning of August . Can't wait to just get it done.
What about you?


Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I was the same! We saw the processing times and thought right lets get it done. I applied for mine end of May. Had my medical on Wednesday so just waiting for them to connect it all online to my immi account then thats the last bit my case officer has asked for. Then back to waiting!

????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was the same! We saw the processing times and thought right lets get it done. I applied for mine end of May. Had my medical on Wednesday so just waiting for them to connect it all online to my immi account then thats the last bit my case officer has asked for. Then back to waiting!

??


So if your case officer asked for the medical you must be close to getting your temporary visa then, that would be good! mine will no doubt take ages!
Did you use an agent for it?


Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if your case officer asked for the medical you must be close to getting your temporary visa then, that would be good! mine will no doubt take ages!
Did you use an agent for it?


Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

It is a requirement of the visa anyway. I already had it booked so im not sure but i hope so!!
Just be prepared for it and have bank statements and everything ready. Its lengthy in a sense of scanning and uploading but it isnt hard. We didnt use any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snifter said:

Not that I am aware of but it may be the case. I never really looked into that as had no need. I"m sure I recall someone who got a temp partner visa who then got their PR part while they were in the UK, then made the move to Aus after that. Or perhaps I am remembering it incorrectly a few years down the line. However, if its time spent apart with one person out of the country, that can be a real issue in terms of claiming an ongoing de facto relationship or marriage. 

That sort of thing impacts citizenship generally though. There are limits to how long you can be out of Aus in the years before applying to become a citizen. 

 

 

Thanks! I might indeed be confusing requirements for PR with requirements for citizenship :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×