You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ajcooper

School years

I'm a bit confused about school years between Australia and the UK so looking for some advice.  I have two boys ages 11 and 13 who are in YR5 and YR7 respectively.  Due to their birthdays being in Apr/Mar we decided to keep them back a year so they are one of the older boys in the year.  

Going home, would they have to go into the school year that matches their age and as such would effectively have to skip a year?  Like I said, a bit confused.

Any info would be appreciated.

It depends where you're going.  Our daughter is an April 2006 birthday and in year 6 here (NSW).  If we were moving back to England she'd be due to start high school this year.  However we're moving to Scotland, and because their cut off is different (March 1st) she'll be going into P7.  Youngest is Feb 2008, so she should go into P6, but as she's Y4 here we'll hold her back (which we can do in Scotland).  I'm pretty sure you can request to hold them back in England too, you'd probably have a fairly good case, since it'd otherwise mean they'd miss a year.

Thanks for that.  I guess that's the way to look at it, we'll have to hold them back.  Maybe wouldn't be a bad thing for the eldest anyway!

Actually, I agree that it isn't a bad thing for kids generally.  I really wish we'd held our two back instead of listening to people who said we'd be ruining their education.  As it happens, they'll both be going back a bit when we move to Scotland anyway.  As it is here, they are both among the youngest/smallest/most socially immature in their year, which holds them back anyway.  They'll be among the eldest in the year when we move, they are both looking forwards to that!