Moving to Mackay

Geordielass44

I have accepted a job in Mackay and will be relocating in August. I have read a lot of the threads about the city but they seem to be a few years old so I have a few questions to those living in or around!

1. How easy/hard are rentals to get? I read a few years ago it was quite a challenge but not sure that is the situation at present? Have my eye on Burcasia and Rural View.

2. My husband is a nurse (community for the past 3 years) so would prefer to continue with that area - any community nurses in Mackay? Is the hospital a possibility for a job too?

Salary is in the region of $100K all in for me - is that liveable until my husband gets work (I have calculated we should be ok but just checking - there is only the 2 of us plus dog)

Cheers

PS it looks like a stunning area!!

Thanks Bobj - will tell other half to check those links out. 

Going to stay in a holiday rental for 2 weeks and have a look at what is available when we arrive. Thats great re commute time for that distance! I am looking at Bucasia as a possible area so assuming that won't take me too long to get to work (south of the river)

Cheers 

• Like 1

Hey. I'm in the process of moving to Mackay also. I have also accepted a job offer there. Im a nurse too. Im in Adelaide at present but should be heading up that way next week. I'm also flying my dogs over from the UK. There seems to be a lot of nursing roles available in that area and I was offered the role whilst still in UK. I'm sure your husband will be fine.

Edited by Paige03
  • Like 2

I keep seeing jobs advertised here, and loved this part of QLD when we holidayed  there, but just thinking about when we have family visit (hopefully!)... How far driving wise would it be to an international airport?  The hospital looks great!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Samday13 said:

I keep seeing jobs advertised here, and loved this part of QLD when we holidayed  there, but just thinking about when we have family visit (hopefully!)... How far driving wise would it be to an international airport?  The hospital looks great!

You would probably find yourself preferring to fly to an international airport........unless you really really love driving!

Haha yes I remember it was long way north or south from when we holiday end there a couple of years back, but we drove Cairns to Brisbane over 2 weeks so I had no real concept of how far anywhere was from anywhere after a while.....sugar cane fields everywhere you look for days [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

6 hours ago, Samday13 said:

9 hours drive to Brissie and 7 hours drive to Cairns. Or, 1.2 hours to fly  to Brissie.

It begs the question...How many times is family going to come over to warrent proximity to an international airport???

Cheers, Bobj.

21 hours ago, Bobj said:

G'day, missy, These are a few rentals around where I live, just to give you an idea of costs. Dunno if they are furnished.

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-ball+bay,+qld+4741/list-1

A few have ocean views to the Whitsundays...

Cheers, Bobj..

Cheers Bobj looks great! Hopefully we will get something relatively quickly :-)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paige03 said:

Hey. I'm in the process of moving to Mackay also. I have also accepted a job offer there. Im a nurse too. Im in Adelaide at present but should be heading up that way next week. I'm also flying my dogs over from the UK. There seems to be a lot of nursing roles available in that area and I was offered the role whilst still in UK. I'm sure your husband will be fine.

Ooooooh exciting!!! Have you secured a rental or are you looking when you arrive? Will be really interested to know how it goes! My husband asks what area of nursing do you work in? We arrive the 16th August :-)

12 hours ago, Geordielass44 said:

Ooooooh exciting!!! Have you secured a rental or are you looking when you arrive? Will be really interested to know how it goes! My husband asks what area of nursing do you work in? We arrive the 16th August :-)

Haven't secured a rental yet, I'll look once I'm there, although I have been looking online. Houses look lovely though. I'm a child and family health nurse (health visitor in U.K.). What line of nursing is your husband in? 

Hi.  Dunno if you've seen the fairly recent thread on Mackay, it might have been started by Paige.  There are areas of Rural View and the Northern Beaches to be avoided, I spoke about them in that thread so won't repeat it now.  Rentals are easy to come by presently though the market is picking up; I've just raised rents in two of my places for the first time in 4 years.  $100k is easily livable at the moment.

If you want to know anything specific about areas and what facilities are there drop me a pm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 04:04, Eera said:

Hi.  Dunno if you've seen the fairly recent thread on Mackay, it might have been started by Paige.  There are areas of Rural View and the Northern Beaches to be avoided, I spoke about them in that thread so won't repeat it now.  Rentals are easy to come by presently though the market is picking up; I've just raised rents in two of my places for the first time in 4 years.  $100k is easily livable at the moment.

If you want to know anything specific about areas and what facilities are there drop me a pm.

Thanks Eera - any idea on a timescale to secure a rental? We have a short-term let but would like to secure a rental asap after we arrive.

I like the look of Burcasia and had read that about some areas.

I will drop you a pm re specific areas too 

:-)

On 6/24/2017 at 07:17, Paige03 said:

Haven't secured a rental yet, I'll look once I'm there, although I have been looking online. Houses look lovely though. I'm a child and family health nurse (health visitor in U.K.). What line of nursing is your husband in? 

Hi he is a community nurse but happy working in aged care too.

Have you arrived yet? Did you hire a car? Looking for companies at the moment.

Hope it is going well! Can't believe we will be there next month!

Hi. I'm here now. Been here just under a week. I hired a car through Expedia- Redspot/Enterprise at the airport. Had no issues. I'm finding it hard to find a rental, but that's because I'm fussy, have 2 dogs coming over and needs to be walking distance from the Northern Beaches High School, for my daughter. We went Bucasia beach in the week. It was lovely and was empty. You'll find a rental fine, as long as you don't have as many restrictions as me :biglaugh:

Weather's been lovely, mid 20,s. So far, I'm liking it. We're not big city people. Have your husband check out QLD Health website. There are nursing jobs on there. Or try Seek/Indeed. 

Did you book the car on arrival as thats what we might just do. We are quite flexible with the rental but prefer it to be near work for one of us so we can get away with one car if possible!

Sounds great! Did you just call the rental agencies up regarding rentals? I have seen a few I like but too early to do anything really! Prices seem reasonable too. Hope you find something soon!

My husband has an interview this week so fingers crossed!! Are you working at the hospital?

:-)

I booked the car through Expedia about a week before arriving. I've been phoning the agencies and have popped into a few offices. It's all quite slow. I've been asking for 2 weeks to view some properties and they're only only just getting back to me with inspection dates. 

Good luck to your husband. I'm not based at the hospital as I'm community. In fact I don't even know where the hospital is yet xD

1 hour ago, Paige03 said:

I booked the car through Expedia about a week before arriving. I've been phoning the agencies and have popped into a few offices. It's all quite slow. I've been asking for 2 weeks to view some properties and they're only only just getting back to me with inspection dates. 

Good luck to your husband. I'm not based at the hospital as I'm community. In fact I don't even know where the hospital is yet xD

Community too!!!! My husband is community in the UK - hopefully he will definitely secure something before we leave but if not it may be easier on the ground.

Wow that's slow re houses!! I think I may try to get some lined up before we get there then! Loads of the houses have been on for ages so turnaround doesn't seem to be rapid! Or perhaps demand! 

I have booked an aparthotel for 17 days so want something in that timescale ideally!

will get hubby onto the car hire ?

Cheers ?