You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

WeegieDave

WA Skills List Slashed to just 18 Occupations

If you are on the list, what are the benefits to state a WA sponsored visa other than a possible shorter waiting time for visa grant ? 

2 hours ago, jooomes11 said:

What about the 189 visas? Are they shut down?

Of course not, 189 is skilled independent. Totally different lists, nothing to do with State Sponsorship.

2 hours ago, Oz4now said:

If you are on the list, what are the benefits to state a WA sponsored visa other than a possible shorter waiting time for visa grant ? 

As opposed to what other visa? If you qualify for a 189 go for that.

2 hours ago, Oz4now said:

State sponsorship applies to people whose occupations are on the short term list only or people who are short of points

For many this makes no difference, for some this would be their only chance potentially due to the extra points available. 189 is arguably the best visa you can get. I'm sure no one will be up-skilling to Neurosurgeon!

AITSL assessment complete-09/10/2014 | IELTS L8.5, R8, W8.5, S8.5. -13/12/2014 | EOI submitted 07/01/2015 (65) invite 09/01/2015 | 189 Visa applied - 10/01/2015 | Meds -20/02/2015 | PCC-08/03/2015 | Visa granted! - 20/03/2015.

Cheers, my adult daughter has just had invite for 189 and I just wanted to know if any benefits to state sponsored. Things have changed a lot over past few years. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 12:39, Oz4now said:

Cheers, my adult daughter has just had invite for 189 and I just wanted to know if any benefits to state sponsored. Things have changed a lot over past few years. 

The only benefit is the extra 5 points towards skill select. Downsides are having to live for a minimum of 2 years in nominated state and also need have around $35,000 savings. 189 all the way