Compensation Culture in the UK

Toots

1 hour ago, Toots said:

This seems to apply mainly to British holiday makers in Spain and Portugal.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/false-sickness-claims-hurting-british-reputation-abroad/

Gets right up my nose this stuff. I got hit from behind in brisbane got out to see no damage and told the bloke to slow down and get on his way.  He reacted like one of those "come on down" contestants in the US! because i didn't want to pursue a claim.  I have a mate here who has been hit 2 or 3 times and he sees it like winning the jackpot, he's also had a food poisoning claim too every one  else thinks he's a winker.  I saw a woman get tapped from behind a few months ago and the first thing she did get out to look at the damage then the passenger said something to her and all of a sudden she was holding her neck.

I wonder if anyone on here has had a claim up?¬¬  

I personally feel that things like this are getting out of control. These days’ people do see things like this as winning the jackpot, a way of getting a nice payout at the end of it. It is a shame as the genuine cases get treated as frauds. The trouble is that it affects us all. For example, the price of insurance goes up for everyone and then you find yourself living in a “nanny state”. Governments go all H&S mad to try and eliminate any chance of claims being brought.

However, we cannot blame to people bringing the claims. They are just doing what they can get away with and it is only human nature to do so. The people to blame are the ones who are promoting this and letting people get away with it. No win no fee layers and such like. They are the ones who should have to answer here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil & Vikki said:

I personally feel that things like this are getting out of control. These days’ people do see things like this as winning the jackpot, a way of getting a nice payout at the end of it. It is a shame as the genuine cases get treated as frauds. The trouble is that it affects us all. For example, the price of insurance goes up for everyone and then you find yourself living in a “nanny state”. Governments go all H&S mad to try and eliminate any chance of claims being brought.

However, we cannot blame to people bringing the claims. They are just doing what they can get away with and it is only human nature to do so. The people to blame are the ones who are promoting this and letting people get away with it. No win no fee layers and such like. They are the ones who should have to answer here.

Of course you can blame the people bringing the claims, it is human nature to be honest law abiding citizens, which thankfully the majority are, yet again we see a minority ruining things for the majority. I do agree that no win no fee lawyers are part of the problem along with the insurance companies too who find it cheaper to pay out instead of fighting claims. the laws need tightening up too.

You must of heard about the drivers that signal you to let you in and then drive into and then claim stating you pulled out in front of him, and the ones that put something down on the floor (water, greasy chip) and claim they slipped on it!.............these are the people you can blame.

20 minutes ago, Phil & Vikki said:

True and they should not be allowed to get away with it. However, if you look further back, people are coming up with ways to play the system, because they know someone will listen and get them money for it. Take these people away and then the number will come down.

looking back, I remember only claimants trying it on, the no win no fee thing is a relatively new thing, they obviously saw an easy way to make money out of too.

For many years my parents had the insurance man come round once a week to collect the premiums, we had the same man (company) when we first married, had a claim? tell and show me, ok how much? hand in his pocket pull out a wad of money there you go I'll bring the form for filling in around next week, all honest and instant, no problem nobody else involved. Try to make an honest claim now and the insurance company makes it so difficult and will nearly always reduce or not pay out, so now to get an true value payout one has to, lets say, enhance a little (no doubt this is what the no win no fee lawyers do), so is it possible insurance companies actually help make people dishonest? 

Everyone has a little bit of blame in the overall game of life. May be if there were not so many false or “enhanced” claims to start with, then possibly the insurance companies would not be making people dishonest?  Everyone on this merry go round has a hand in spinning it faster and faster, resulting in the situation we have now. One thing is for certain though, if there were no more claims, the premiums would not go down.