After PR , minimum timeframe to move

samwise

Hi all,

I got my PR visa (subclass 190) grant on 25th Feb 2016. I read in one of the other forums that, to be eligible for RRV visa and later for citizenship, I need to live in Australia for 3 of the first 5 years i.e; I need to move to Australia within 2 of the first 5 years (although the visa validity is for 5 years). Is this true? Pls can anyone shed more light on when does one actually have to move?

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

To qualify for citizenship, you need to live in Australia on a PR visa for 4 years prior to lodging your citizenship application.  During those 4 years, you can't have spent more than 12 months outside Australia including no more than 3 months in the final year.

Your PR visa comes with 5-year entry rights.  If you have not become a citizen before the entry rights expire, then you would need another visa (typically a RRV) in order to enter Australia from overseas.  Whether you are eligible for an RRV will depend on a few things.  If you have lived in Australia for 2 of the 5 years before submitting your RRV application, then you would be eligible for a 5-year RRV.  If you haven't lived in Australia at least 2 years, then you may be eligible for a shorter RRV (1-year or 3-month) depending on whether you are living in Australia when you apply or whether you have strong ties to Australia.

If you wanted to, you could move over the day before the 5-year travel rights expire and as long as you don't need to leave the country for any reason, there may be no need to get an RRV.

• Like 1

There is also an initial entry date by which you must have entered Australia in order to validate your visa. It is normally one year from the date of your medicals or Police check, whichever came first, it's noted in the Grant letter as First entry date

You don't say if you have visited but if your grant was Feb 2016, this date would have already passed.

There is also an initial entry date by which you must have entered Australia in order to validate your visa. It is normally one year from the date of your medicals or Police check, whichever came first, it's noted in the Grant letter as First entry date
You don't say if you have visited but if your grant was Feb 2016, this date would have already passed.

You are right, I missed to mention that I have already made a landing visit in Nov 2016 to activate my PR visa. Stand corrected!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app