need help narrowing down east melbourne areas

emurivjae

We are moving in a month to Melbourne and have two young boys. Looking for some quick advice or suggestions on a good location as we will only have 6 wks to secure a rental. 

Things that would be ideal for our family:

-Probably looking in the area from mordiallic up and east and north of Dandenong and west of or barely in the ranges. Open to other suggestions though.
-About $400/wk rent price
-Family friendly area (families, safe, parks, good schools)
-We prefer being near trees, hiking, parks, we don't need to be near the beach unless schools and pricing win out 
-Not too rural, need access to kids extracurricular activities like swim etc
-schools that are more nature oriented and hands on, I'm more concerned with good teachers and teaching methods than test results 
-Personality wise we are very family oriented and co-sleep etc and it'd be a plus if there are certain pockets of like-minded more natural-oriented families, though it's certainly not a necessity for us. 
-places that have caught my eye but have extremely limited knowledge of: ringwood, vermont, ferntree gully, belgrave, wheelers hill, aspendale, south part of frankston

Thank you so much for any thoughts, having only 6 weeks to narrow down a rental, any help received will actually be incredibly helpful for us.

I'd definately stick to the Moradialloc  and aspendale 

Have you thought of Sandringham, Hampton, Bentleigh, Brighton East, Mentone? 

All great areas family friendly safe and very easy access to transport beach and terrific schools.  

He probably likes the beach.

I live in the eastern suburbs around Blackburn and think it is a great area to live.

It is becoming very expensive to buy now with houses going for well over $1M now in many suburbs. But if you are a renter you should be able to secure something, probably an older house for $400.

Obviously the further you go out the cheaper the rent will be and you get more for your money. You should certainly look at Ringwood out to Croydon.

Also consider Oakleigh and it's surrounding areas. Also when you are looking for house to rent in the price range you prefer, make a note of public transport that's available if that is something that you and your partner needs. I'd probably suggest to skip Ferntree Gully. Is there a reason why you're looking into the east side of Melbourne? 

hadn't looked into berwick at all actually, but it's not too far, I'll add it to our list! I have heard to avoid dandenong for the most part. And I have heard frankston is so/so... with crime being worst in the north.. anyone who can verify this? 

Edited by emurivjae

Hi. We live in Frankston. Have been here for abut 18 months now, and lived in Mt Waverley before that. We really like Frankston, and there is heaps of stuff to do for kids, but you are right that it is better to steer clear of Frankston North. It is getting better, but not there yet.

Mt Waverley was brilliant, too, but the schools are more academically minded, and very results-focussed. The main reason we mioved was because of the house prices. TBH you will struggle now I think to find a rental for $400 a week, but I have let looked for a ile, so there my be some out there. 

Based on what you've written, I would look at the areas in the Dandenong's (NOT Dandenong the suburb), such as Tecoma, Belgrave, etc. We considered that area before settling on Frankston to buy in and a friend lived in the  area for a while and really loved it.

• Like 1

If you do look at Ferntree Gully area, be prepared to offer a few months rent in advance to secure a rental.  The rental market is highly competitive with some rentals receiving 30+ applications, and some people offering six months rent in advance to secure them.  It isn't done on first come first served either so make friends with your real estate agents. Good luck!! 

On 2 July 2017 at 07:04, emurivjae said:

hadn't looked into berwick at all actually, but it's not too far, I'll add it to our list! I have heard to avoid dandenong for the most part. And I have heard frankston is so/so... with crime being worst in the north.. anyone who can verify this? 

Frankston North is the one you need to avoid, and City of Dandenong too. Berwick and Lysterfield are both lovely.  Think in terms of work and whether you're near the right railway line and/or state highway. 

On 20 June 2017 at 12:54, emurivjae said:

We are moving in a month to Melbourne and have two young boys. Looking for some quick advice or suggestions on a good location as we will only have 6 wks to secure a rental. 

Things that would be ideal for our family:

-Probably looking in the area from mordiallic up and east and north of Dandenong and west of or barely in the ranges. Open to other suggestions though.
-About $400/wk rent price
-Family friendly area (families, safe, parks, good schools)
-We prefer being near trees, hiking, parks, we don't need to be near the beach unless schools and pricing win out 
-Not too rural, need access to kids extracurricular activities like swim etc
-schools that are more nature oriented and hands on, I'm more concerned with good teachers and teaching methods than test results 
-Personality wise we are very family oriented and co-sleep etc and it'd be a plus if there are certain pockets of like-minded more natural-oriented families, though it's certainly not a necessity for us. 
-places that have caught my eye but have extremely limited knowledge of: ringwood, vermont, ferntree gully, belgrave, wheelers hill, aspendale, south part of frankston

Thank you so much for any thoughts, having only 6 weeks to narrow down a rental, any help received will actually be incredibly helpful for us.

Just bear in mind that whilst you may be able to easily afford to rent in some areas,  check out cost of buying too unless you plan on long term renting only.  If you're children are school age, will this mean Changing schools a couple years down the line if you have to move suburb or a longer school run etc?  And are you happy to do that? If your kids are preschool, then No worries. 

• Like 1