Australian tax rules for UK state pension

Fisher1

Hi all

It seems that if you are in receipt of a UK state pension, you can get a bit of extra Australian tax relief (8%) on it if you provide the Australian tax office with a statement of the UPP or Undisclosed purchase price on that pension. I am understanding this to mean an account of the contributions paid to the UK pension system used in calculating your entitlement.

I have had two attempts at ringing the UK department of Work and Pensions, but nobody has a clue what I am talking about.  Can anybody who has acquired a UPP on a UK state pension offer any advice on how to get it?

Many thanks

8 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

The tax deduction in Australia s 8% of the UK State Pension received.

Not sure why you are calling the DWP in the UK.

Best regards.

Hi Alan 

I must have misunderstood something ... I was under the impression that I had to get paper proof of the UPP.   So I just fill in the au tax form and send it off when the time comes?  Phew, another thing off the to do list.

thanks.

• Like 1

The proof is needed if you have a private pension as well as state pension, as well as the 8% off the state pension you may be able to claim an additional allowance for the private pension. I suspect that this may be what you heard about and caused the confusion.

5 hours ago, datstheone said:

The proof is needed if you have a private pension as well as state pension, as well as the 8% off the state pension you may be able to claim an additional allowance for the private pension. I suspect that this may be what you heard about and caused the confusion.

Thank you, yes, this is where I have got mixed up. That's really helpful because I want to make any necessary contacts before I leave the UK.  I can get on to that now!

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 09:42, NickyNook said:

Yes - the 8% is standard. You just put 8% on your tax return in the box where it asks for it. 

Don't need to get paperwork from anyone or prove anything. 

In theory if you had the paperwork and it proved the UPP should be more than 8% you could claim the higher amount - but I've not heard of anyone being able to do that.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:38, datstheone said:

Connie and I have tried to get the UPP form filled by getting in touch with our private pension companies. Her company says they can't supply the information as they just don't hold records for that far back. My company pension provider has changed hands a number of tomes since I left them and even going to the actuaries I'm not getting anywhere.

Has anyone managed to get the 8% or whatever rate for UPP without having all the information they need?

Mike

13 hours ago, Mike and Connie said:

Connie and I have tried to get the UPP form filled by getting in touch with our private pension companies. Her company says they can't supply the information as they just don't hold records for that far back. My company pension provider has changed hands a number of tomes since I left them and even going to the actuaries I'm not getting anywhere.

Has anyone managed to get the 8% or whatever rate for UPP without having all the information they need?

Mike

Hi Mike and Connie     I've just had an account of the amount I paid into an annuity from my annuity provider without problem. My Husband has also had an account of the value of his pension payments from an employer he left in 1985. Surely whoever your pension provider now is must have records showing how much you paid in - or they wouldn't know how much to pay you?  Or have I got the wrong end of the stick altogether?   (I'm not even in Australia yet, so cant comment about claiming more than 8% )

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 05:26, Fisher1 said:

Hi Mike and Connie     I've just had an account of the amount I paid into an annuity from my annuity provider without problem. My Husband has also had an account of the value of his pension payments from an employer he left in 1985. Surely whoever your pension provider now is must have records showing how much you paid in - or they wouldn't know how much to pay you?  Or have I got the wrong end of the stick altogether?   (I'm not even in Australia yet, so cant comment about claiming more than 8% )

Thanks for that, but believe me I have been trying for about 3 years with my company pension providers who say they just don't have all the information that is needed, and are trying to get something out of the Actuaries. Connie's pension is with a County Council who tells her that all records were on paper and they were not required by law to keep anything past a certain time. At least she gets annual rises whereas the company who now pays my pension says they cannot or will not afford an increase to pensioners who were with the original company before being taken over,(twice). It was 1970 when I retired from the original company.

Mike

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 19:08, Mike and Connie said:

Thanks for that, but believe me I have been trying for about 3 years with my company pension providers who say they just don't have all the information that is needed, and are trying to get something out of the Actuaries. Connie's pension is with a County Council who tells her that all records were on paper and they were not required by law to keep anything past a certain time. At least she gets annual rises whereas the company who now pays my pension says they cannot or will not afford an increase to pensioners who were with the original company before being taken over,(twice). It was 1970 when I retired from the original company.

Mike

That must be so frustrating for you both, particularly the 'no increase' element of your pension. I'm currently trying to get hold of someone on the Teacher's pensions website ...