HollieBee

Radiography in Australia

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi!

I'm a first year radiography student in the U.K. but im hoping to move to Perth as soon as I can once I graduate. I've heard so many conflicting things about whether or not it is possible.

Sorry to be a pain, but could you possibly tell the process you went through to be able to do this? I'm fumbling in the dark really and I'm completely clueless.

I've heard you need to do 2 years clinical practice post-grad to be able to become a radiographer in Australia, but are you able to do this as locum work in Australia and move as soon as you've graduated?

Any information you could give me would be the biggest help.

Thank you!

Edited by HollieBee
Spelling

Moneycorp
Moneycorp

I have moved your post to its own thread in migration chat as it will get a better response there. 

are you able to do this as locum work in Australia and move as soon as you've graduated?

No.

For completeness - a  trainee visa might make it possible, but would most lkely create more problems than it is worth. 

Hey. I'm a radiographer who's just completed my visa application. Now that the 457 has been taken out, I'm not sure what the equivalent would be for it. Being brutally honest, you would struggle finding locum work as a newbie in the UK, let alone in Aus. If you're considering the 189/190 permanent visas, they will require a minimum of 3 yrs post grad experience.

You're better off getting a solid foundation first, ideally go work for a major trauma hospital. At the latter, you'll also have a better chance of getting trained in a modality much quicker, which in turn, will allow you to then apply for a Senior Radiographer post in Aus. At the time of writing, the salary of the latter starts at $99k...

I'm happy to answer any questions if you think I can help. I have also documented my journey as to how I went about to apply for my visa/AHPRA/ASMIRT.

DN

Edited by DukeNinja