Moving to Hobart - all advice welcome!

emj1986

33 minutes ago, Toots said:

Bothwell is a small town right in the middle of Tassie.

About an hour's drive northwest of Hobart.  Mainly sheep farming country.  First white settlers were predominantly Scots...who  established the first  golf course in Australia (and still in existence).  Has a whisky distillery

http://www.nant.com.au/tours-tastings/

and an  "International Highland Spin" In every 2nd March.

• Like 1

What is the rental market like? On the coast there are sometimes 100's of applications per property so trying to secure something when you have pets is almost impossible. Is it like that in Hobart or is the competition less fierce? Also, how are the agents at letting you secure a rental without a prior inspection?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

44 minutes ago, emj1986 said:

What is the rental market like? On the coast there are sometimes 100's of applications per property so trying to secure something when you have pets is almost impossible. Is it like that in Hobart or is the competition less fierce? Also, how are the agents at letting you secure a rental without a prior inspection?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I cannot comment on the Hobart market Emj, Skani will have more of an idea. Personally I wouldnt like to secure anything without personally looking at it. Pictures are so deceptive and then you are stuck with it for x amount of time!,

Re rental market:  I don't know how it compares to the GC but it's certainly a lot more competitive than it used to be according to media reports.  The blame is being placed on 2 factors - aggressive promotion of international university student places without providing enough rental accommodation for them and landlords converting rental properties into the current AirBnB boom.  I doubt whether you could secure a property without personal inspection but I, too, think it would be unwise.  I personally haven't rented since the 1980s but I accompanied a friend looking at  rentals a few years ago and it was very interesting to see the significant factors which could be omitted from the blurb and the photos.  I'd also like to get a first hand "feel" for the immediate area, neighbours etc. which you can't always do from photos.  I don't know where your OH will be working but it would be adviseable to look at commuting conditions to/from different areas and you can't really do that until you are here.

It's harder with pets but not impossible.  I have seen rentals advertised with "pets may be considered at this property" and some friends with a dog recently obtained a lovely rental (on Gumtree).  I think the landlords were initially ambivalent but, having met the dog (and being very impressed), were converted. :biggrin:

Edited by Skani

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Luisa Cannon said:

Thanks Luisa :)

Suppose its about time for an update now - we are here :D

Finally found a rental after agreeing to commence payment immediately even though we wouldn't be living in the place for another 3 weeks.  Add that to some pretty mean rental agents back on the Gold Coast who not only dragged their feet despite being given 1 months notice after an 18 month tenancy with no issue, also decided to accept tenants that cant even move in until the end of SEPTEMBER it has been, and continues to be a costly experience running into over $10k just for the rental transition.  Not to mention screwing us out of our bond despite jumping through hoops and doing everything they asked of us.  Ill end that rant there as I could start a whole other thread on rental agents in Australia.  Needless to say we are in 100% agreement that come hell or high water, the next time we move it will be into a home we own!

We are now in our 3rd week.  Animals flew down hassle free the day after we arrived via Jetpets - very happy with the price and service there.  They boarded at a pet hotel while we were driving down and were collected and driven to the airport and put on the plane - I picked them up at the other side.  $1500 for 2 large dogs and an older cat which I thought was very reasonable.  The dogs are loving the new sights and smells and nice long walks in the countryside`and the cat is enjoying cuddling up in bed with us on the chilly winter nights!

Our rental is in Lenah Valley which seems a lovely area.  Compared with the Gold Coast, its cheap, the garden is a fantastic size for the dogs and we have a beautiful view of mount wellington from our living room and bedrooms!  Everywhere is within walking distance and even a drive into CBD during rush hour takes no longer than 15min.  People here actually acknowledge you and im still taken aback when people say hi to me in the street - its almost like being back home again.

My partner started work the day after we arrived but must admit im having more of a struggle.  It seems very much a 'not what you know but who you know' kind of place.  Have now signed up with Hays so hopefully might have better luck with their recommendation.  It did take me 3 months to find work on the Gold Coast so im not too concerned at this stage.

The weather and surroundings and pace of life here is much more 'me'.  I love how winter actually feels like winter and am looking forward to experiencing all the seasons again instead of warm, hot, hotter and hell on earth burning to a cinder and suffocating humidity.  It is undoubtedly very beautiful, theres a lot more culture and history here, I love the old buildings and proper pubs and there being far less crappy taverns full of tradies playing pokies all night.  I can actually envisage a future here whereas the Gold Coast very quickly sapped all of the enjoyment from my life, as dramatic as that sounds.  In my opinion, a very toxic environment to live in.  

So happy days!  Looking forward to life here :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, emj1986 said:

Thanks Luisa :)

Suppose its about time for an update now - we are here :D

Finally found a rental after agreeing to commence payment immediately even though we wouldn't be living in the place for another 3 weeks.  Add that to some pretty mean rental agents back on the Gold Coast who not only dragged their feet despite being given 1 months notice after an 18 month tenancy with no issue, also decided to accept tenants that cant even move in until the end of SEPTEMBER it has been, and continues to be a costly experience running into over $10k just for the rental transition.  Not to mention screwing us out of our bond despite jumping through hoops and doing everything they asked of us.  Ill end that rant there as I could start a whole other thread on rental agents in Australia.  Needless to say we are in 100% agreement that come hell or high water, the next time we move it will be into a home we own!

We are now in our 3rd week.  Animals flew down hassle free the day after we arrived via Jetpets - very happy with the price and service there.  They boarded at a pet hotel while we were driving down and were collected and driven to the airport and put on the plane - I picked them up at the other side.  $1500 for 2 large dogs and an older cat which I thought was very reasonable.  The dogs are loving the new sights and smells and nice long walks in the countryside`and the cat is enjoying cuddling up in bed with us on the chilly winter nights!

Our rental is in Lenah Valley which seems a lovely area.  Compared with the Gold Coast, its cheap, the garden is a fantastic size for the dogs and we have a beautiful view of mount wellington from our living room and bedrooms!  Everywhere is within walking distance and even a drive into CBD during rush hour takes no longer than 15min.  People here actually acknowledge you and im still taken aback when people say hi to me in the street - its almost like being back home again.

My partner started work the day after we arrived but must admit im having more of a struggle.  It seems very much a 'not what you know but who you know' kind of place.  Have now signed up with Hays so hopefully might have better luck with their recommendation.  It did take me 3 months to find work on the Gold Coast so im not too concerned at this stage.

The weather and surroundings and pace of life here is much more 'me'.  I love how winter actually feels like winter and am looking forward to experiencing all the seasons again instead of warm, hot, hotter and hell on earth burning to a cinder and suffocating humidity.  It is undoubtedly very beautiful, theres a lot more culture and history here, I love the old buildings and proper pubs and there being far less crappy taverns full of tradies playing pokies all night.  I can actually envisage a future here whereas the Gold Coast very quickly sapped all of the enjoyment from my life, as dramatic as that sounds.  In my opinion, a very toxic environment to live in.  

So happy days!  Looking forward to life here :) 

That's good to hear - except for you problems with GC estate agent etc, things seem to be going well for you.   

• 10 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 02:40, Skani said:

Car - I would take it if you are happy to do the drive down from the GC.  and have the convenience of private transport from the beginning

Dog walking/parks:  go to this website and select the "Walking with dogs" option in the top drop down box -

https://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/

I don't know if there are any areas "better"than others for pet rentals.  For rentals generally I would probably avoid the old broad acre social housing suburbs which don't have the best reputation:  Bridgewater, Gagebrook, Risdon Vale, Rokeby, Clarendon Vale, Warrane (all on the eastern shore), and Chigwell.  I personally don't like the Glenorchy area (too industrial).

Costs:  petrol is more expensive.  Also the two major supermarkets (Coles and Woolies) as there is no competition from Aldi or Costco.

However for fruit and vegies, these alternatives are often cheaper and fresher:

the Farm Gate Market every Sunday

http://farmgatemarket.com.au/

Salamanca Market every Saturday

http://www.hobartcity.com.au/Hobart/Salamanca_Market

the Hill Street Grocer which has stores in several suburbs

https://hillstreetgrocer.com/

and Salamanca Fresh stores which are likewise in several locations

http://www.salamancafresh.com.au/

I'm not sure how expensive energy costs are in Qld but you'll find your heating bills higher in the cooler months.  However aircon is not necessary in summer.  I think parking in the city is cheaper - the first 1.5 hours are free in Hobart City Council car parks.  No charges in suburban car parks.

Housing used to be cheaper but unfortunately we've been discovered by investors from the mainland and overseas and the recent arrival of AirBnB - both of which are putting a lot of pressure on prices.

Goups/clubs etc:  there are a zillion of those.  If you can give an idea of your interests it would be easier to point you in the right direction. 

Very happy to answer any other questions.  I can't comment on moving costs as I don't have any recent experience of that.

hello, am new here, about to apply for 489, want to know if there are mechanical engineerings jobs there. hows the job market for engineers in tas

18 hours ago, kemilewis said:

hello, am new here, about to apply for 489, want to know if there are mechanical engineerings jobs there. hows the job market for engineers in tas

Given the small population and lack of large projects I doubt there would be many such vancancies.  However you should check out the Seek and Jobsearch.com.au websites.

• 4 weeks later...