Born in AUS want to move to UK

Melby

Hi all.

My husband and I with two young children have the urge to move to the UK with no family. Just for a change, have the urge to try something different and have enjoyed holidays in the UK. 

I'm born in Australia although we are wanting to move early next year. 

Has anyone ever done this before and regretted or enjoyed it?

Where are great safe family areas with great schools In the UK? We love York.

Thanks!

• Like 2

We did it! Same situation, I'm Australian and the better half is English. We were in the South so temperatures were a little less hectic than York but York is an amazing place. There are great schools and great people every where but we certainly found England to be more child orientated than where we were in Australia. Good luck and go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Melby said:

Hi all.

My husband and I with two young children have the urge to move to the UK with no family. Just for a change, have the urge to try something different and have enjoyed holidays in the UK. 

I'm born in Australia although we are wanting to move early next year. 

Has anyone ever done this before and regretted or enjoyed it?

Where are great safe family areas with great schools In the UK? We love York.

Thanks!

What visas ar you planning to use to move? \or do you have dual citienship?

25 minutes ago, MrsP said:

We did it! Same situation, I'm Australian and the better half is English. We were in the South so temperatures were a little less hectic than York but York is an amazing place. There are great schools and great people every where but we certainly found England to be more child orientated than where we were in Australia. Good luck and go for it!

Thanks Mrs P.

Where abouts in the South are you living and how long have you been in the UK for?

3 hours ago, Melby said:

Hi nemesis.  

I hold a German passport and so do my children from my mother. 

What about your husband? Does he hold a UK passport? I can't work out from your posts if he has one or an Aus one. 

4 hours ago, MrsP said:

Can you clarify what you mean by "child orientated"? Also "than where we were in Australia"? Australia is a vast country and child care/education can vary vastly from stste to state and region to region..............as can the UK's

Different cultures/nationalities have different perceptions/beliefs of "child rearing" for want of better words. Many folk think that the UK is better because of emphasis on academics, some think Australia is better because of emphasis on a more "rounded" education. Some parents from different cultures would be horrified to think of the pressures placed on some Asian children to achieve academically etc etc

• Like 1

22 hours ago, snifter said:

What about your husband? Does he hold a UK passport? I can't work out from your posts if he has one or an Aus one. 

HI Snifter 

My husband holds an aus passport 

Was looking at getting an EU/EAA family visa for him. Hoping this is possible for the UK 

6 hours ago, Melby said:

HI Snifter 

My husband holds an aus passport 

Was looking at getting an EU/EAA family visa for him. Hoping this is possible for the UK 

You will need to look at visas carefully. You would need to go through the surinder Singh route, the problem with which is that it is not clear if such visa holders would be permitted to stay post brexit. Or look at UK visas

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

You will need to look at visas carefully. You would need to go through the surinder Singh route, the problem with which is that it is not clear if such visa holders would be permitted to stay post brexit. Or look at UK visas

Hi There.

No im not a British citizen. I hold a German passport as do my children.  

So the singh route wont apply to me. 

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Britain is leaving the EU though so you might not be able to live there for long.

The OP may be OK but even before leaving the EU  it is now very difficult for the Australian spouse of a UK citizen to move to the UK.  It must be at least as difficult for the Australian spouse of a German citizen.

6 minutes ago, Skani said:

The OP may be OK but even before leaving the EU  it is now very difficult for the Australian spouse of a UK citizen to move to the UK.  It must be at least as difficult for the Australian spouse of a German citizen.

It's actually easier - Being an EU citizen and having a spouse then to hold a British citizen 

York is lovely. Depends what you want from an area tbh.

Define 'safe' or 'great schools' as peoples opinions will vary. Also the ways schools are rated in the UK is very different to Aus. TBH I don't place much stock in Ofsted reports and quite happily placed my child in a good but not rated 'outstanding' by Ofsted school. They are useful to a point but what you want from a school isn't always found in an Ofsted report. I wouldn't send my child to a very poorly rated by Ofsted school and would use it to rule certain schools out that way. But I'd not rule out good or whatever it is they use these days over outstanding. 

You need to consider what you are hoping to do work wise also and factor in that some areas may be better than others in terms of that.

I can think of plenty of lovely safe areas with good schools but they probably see just as much crime, quite possibly more than places here but doesn't mean I'd not live there. Just depends what your level of acceptable is. Serious crime is rare in most places tbf. Minor crimes tend to happen across the board. In our area we had car/shed break ins, burglaries, cars stolen, damage to local parks etc and that was par for the course of suburban living for us. A few other things also would crop up from time to time. Living rural we had different types of crime. Horse theft, livestock theft, farm equipment stolen, fuel stolen, house break ins, working dogs stolen and so on. Less damage to public property and spaces though. 

Keep in mind also that holidays are very different to the reality of living somewhere. Day to day life will go on. If its an adventure for a couple of years you will probably be ok with it and use your weekends (if not working) and school hols to explore around a bit. 

23 hours ago, amibovered said:

you were having a dig at the UK, sunshine.

i am living in the UK at the moment , as an Aussie citizen, but also have lived many years in Germany.

Still visit multiple times a year.

And if i would have to go through the process of relocating to Europe again , i would definitely choose Germany next time, especially now with Brexit potentially limiting your future options .

So no, as someone who has been through the visa process ( living 30 years in germany, 25 years in Australia and 5 years in UK)  , i  didn't have a dig , based on my experience I was offering an alternative seeing that they already hold german passports.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, snifter said:

York is lovely. Depends what you want from an area tbh.

Define 'safe' or 'great schools' as peoples opinions will vary. Also the ways schools are rated in the UK is very different to Aus. TBH I don't place much stock in Ofsted reports and quite happily placed my child in a good but not rated 'outstanding' by Ofsted school. They are useful to a point but what you want from a school isn't always found in an Ofsted report. I wouldn't send my child to a very poorly rated by Ofsted school and would use it to rule certain schools out that way. But I'd not rule out good or whatever it is they use these days over outstanding. 

You need to consider what you are hoping to do work wise also and factor in that some areas may be better than others in terms of that.

I can think of plenty of lovely safe areas with good schools but they probably see just as much crime, quite possibly more than places here but doesn't mean I'd not live there. Just depends what your level of acceptable is. Serious crime is rare in most places tbf. Minor crimes tend to happen across the board. In our area we had car/shed break ins, burglaries, cars stolen, damage to local parks etc and that was par for the course of suburban living for us. A few other things also would crop up from time to time. Living rural we had different types of crime. Horse theft, livestock theft, farm equipment stolen, fuel stolen, house break ins, working dogs stolen and so on. Less damage to public property and spaces though. 

Keep in mind also that holidays are very different to the reality of living somewhere. Day to day life will go on. If its an adventure for a couple of years you will probably be ok with it and use your weekends (if not working) and school hols to explore around a bit. 

Thanks for the wealth of information, it really does help  

We are definately going to give it a shot we have nothing to lose we just sold our place and gave a great amount of savings.

York is lovely I have been around the UK a few times and Scotland. 

we are heading back to the UK in a few months to suss it all out and have a look, would make the move not long after that. 

5 hours ago, RandL said:

i am living in the UK at the moment , as an Aussie citizen, but also have lived many years in Germany.

Still visit multiple times a year.

And if i would have to go through the process of relocating to Europe again , i would definitely choose Germany next time, especially now with Brexit potentially limiting your future options .

So no, as someone who has been through the visa process ( living 30 years in germany, 25 years in Australia and 5 years in UK)  , i  didn't have a dig , based on my experience I was offering an alternative seeing that they already hold german passports.

We are going to Germany to in a few months. Germany is beautiful my family background is German. My side all from Germany and speak German, although I do not - I am worried about the language barrier although I'm sure easy to pick up. 

Do you like living in the UK as much as Germany? How did you enjoy australia?