Best way for family visas?

Dorsetbrit

My wife and son 2mths old are coming to OZ in October for a three week stay to check out areas we might like to live in. After that trip we will make our final decision on weather we are emigrating or not. If its a yes we will be looking to come over in June- August next year once my daughter has completed her GCSE's.

With all the visa changes we are really unsure of our best rout for visas, we are telling friends and family its for two years but deep down we feel its more of a forever choice but can never say never. My wifes a chartered accountant with a law degree and is currently a finance manager of a charity that turns over 8-10 million, and im a landscape gardener owning my own business. I would stay in that field but work for someone else until we find our feet when I might after that do something completely new. I dont like the idea of a sponsored visa with the threat of being sent home if you dont find a job in 30 days. So really im trying to have our options in our heads before we fly in October.

Any thoughts are alway appreciated, I have posted before many months ago but a lots changed since then and now we have actually booked flights, so we are progressing forward.

Many thanks.

Accountant is still available for a permanent visa such as 189 and would be the route I would recommend. Though I would make her aware that Australia is seriously over supplied with accountants. As her degree is not in accounting, I would also recommend you speak to a good registered migration agent to make sure she can pass the skills assessment.

we are telling friends and family its for two years but deep down we feel its more of a forever choice

IMHO you need to think carefully about what this, for the sake of your daughter's education.  If it is forever there is little point in her sitting her GCSEs (they aren't recognised here).  If you're only coming for two years, she would finish her GCSEs then spend two years finishing high school to go back to the UK two years behind and needing to get some A levels or higher level qualifications for university.

• Like 1

I agree with Peach - your daughter is at a critical time in her educational life - far better to wait until she has done A levels, get a permanent visa then she can make a choice between Aus or UK universities without penalty. If you aren't sure - and who is ever sure how they will feel - then wait until she isn't going to be impacted. 

Tend to agree with the others about your timings and 2 year plan.

Have a look on the Aus immigration site as to what options would be open to you visa wise. I am not sure what is on the list or not these days. Or run you case past a reputable migration agent (any of those who post regularly on here would be a good starting point) to see what they say as to what your options might be. 

And also, as has been said, accountants seem to be in oversupply but perhaps that will vary depending on which state you are looking to. It may be Sydney and Melbourne are bursting at the seams with accountants but smaller towns/cities not. It could be a more regional area is where they are needed and the actual demand is. And you may not want to be regional. 

With regard to telling people its for 2 years, I'd just not say anything about it or commit them or you to a timeframe. Just you are looking into a move to Aus and are seeing what options you have. Or don't say anything till you know for definite you are going. If you don't want a temp visa or one tied to an employer then going for 2 years is a huge expense and stress and you'd be going for PR I'd imagine to avoid the temp visa aspect. Given it could take £20-30k plus cost wise (no idea of what people are spending these days tbh it could be way more than that even) to migrate (reccie, visas, medicals, flights, shipping, setting up costs, potentially being out of work for a few months and needing savings etc) if you are planning to migrate, migrate. And if it turns out you are really unhappy or don't like it then of course return or go elsewhere but don't have that time limit in your head before you've even started as it can take a couple of years for some to feel really settled and be able to see themselves in the country for the long haul. Some adjust and settle better than others or have work and home fall into place more quickly. Some are pretty certain 6 months in the move isn't for them and then make plans to return. Some are happy as anything 6 months, 12 months in but a couple of years in are struggling. Just go with the flow of what works for your family and don't have a set time in your mind is my suggestion. 

11 hours ago, Peach said:

IMHO you need to think carefully about what this, for the sake of your daughter's education.  If it is forever there is little point in her sitting her GCSEs (they aren't recognised here).  If you're only coming for two years, she would finish her GCSEs then spend two years finishing high school to go back to the UK two years behind and needing to get some A levels or higher level qualifications for university.

It may vary from state to state but in SA they most certainly do recognise GCSEs.  I would contact a few schools in the area you are thinking of and discuss it.  But do make an informed decision as it is a crucial time in Education.  Weigh up the costs involved especially if considering HE in either country. You need to check the pros and cons and also a plan B if it doesn't work out.  The rules are changing in OZ so that only citizens will be able to access commonwealth ( cheaper fees) supported places .  PR will pay residents fees rather than international fees.  PR have never been eligible for loans so you have to pay up front.  You will need to be resident for 4 years before you can apply for citizenship.

18 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It may vary from state to state but in SA they most certainly do recognise GCSEs.  I would contact a few schools in the area you are thinking of and discuss it.  But do make an informed decision as it is a crucial time in Education.  Weigh up the costs involved especially if considering HE in either country. You need to check the pros and cons and also a plan B if it doesn't work out.  The rules are changing in OZ so that only citizens will be able to access commonwealth ( cheaper fees) supported places .  PR will pay residents fees rather than international fees.  PR have never been eligible for loans so you have to pay up front.  You will need to be resident for 4 years before you can apply for citizenship.

The change to University fees for people on PR visas also includes opening up access to loans to pay the fees.  So if the changes go through kids who are not citizens will pay more but will no longer need to pay up front.

• Like 1

Where are you heading for?   With your wife's qualifications I recommend Melbourne - but the weather in October might not be the best.

As a CA she shouldn't have a problem securing a positive migration skills assessment from Chartered Accountants Australia and NZ (formerly the ICAA).

Your visa pathway is likely to be a subclass 189 or 190.

Feel able to contact me if you are coming to Melbourne and would like to catch up in the CBD for a coffee.   I'm a CA (migrated to Victoria in April 2001), and a registered migration agent.   I'm in Victoria in the first half of October, before heading to the UK for 3 weeks.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett

Where are you heading for?   With your wife's qualifications I recommend Melbourne - but the weather in October might not be the best.
As a CA she shouldn't have a problem securing a positive migration skills assessment from Chartered Accountants Australia and NZ (formerly the ICAA).
Your visa pathway is likely to be a subclass 189 or 190.
Feel able to contact me if you are coming to Melbourne and would like to catch up in the CBD for a coffee.   I'm a CA (migrated to Victoria in April 2001), and a registered migration agent.   I'm in Victoria in the first half of October, before heading to the UK for 3 weeks.
Best regards.

That's very kind of you, we will be visiting Melbourne but won't get there until around 26th October but I'm guessing you would of headed the opposite way. It's great to get feedback and advise as we don't know how it all works and everyone has a different opinion. I have a mate in Melbourne so will catch up with him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz
  • Like 1