Partner visa

Andy R

2 hours ago, Andy R said:

Hi All, just waiting for my partner visa to be signed off but was wondering.....what happens after it's granted, do I have to go to London to do biometrics etc? (Still in U.K. )

Thanks for any replies :-)

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

No requirement for biometrics for UK applicants. If you're lucky enough to get a visa the only thing you have to do is organise your move. 

• Like 1

was just thinking the same when I read this.. why lucky? I had my medical a few days ago so just awaiting those then that's most of it done I think. Did you have to go for an interview Andy?

p.s i'm new to this website aswell! :)

Why lucky? Because sometimes DIBP decide that when you are in your later years several years of a relationship count for nothing. Had we got married when we were 18 we might have got him a visa, but because we got married late inlife and did not want to upset his UK career without a guarantee of PR in oz, plus most jobs he wanted required PR, DIBP told us to sod off. They also refused to believe that we could have a relationship that did not revolve around posting soppy photos publicly on facebook, and involved us spending time apart persuing our own hobbies and interests, we could not be genuine. Basically they told us that because we did not live in each others pockets, and post our every breath in public, we could not be genuine. 

As a result I had to abandon an excellent job ($150,000+) in Queensland and move back to the UK where I now stack shelves and do whatever else I can get. Yes, we are together, but we have more than halved our income and can no longer travel, which was one of our major passions and whch drew us together. I had been in oz for 20 years, we had planned our future to be in oz, travelling round the world from there. I lost thousands of dollars in leaving stuff in oz, giving up our flat lease etc, to say nothing of the money wasted on the visa -we had got to the PR stage and spent a fortune. 

Because my husband was in the UK working on an inmportant contract at the of the refusal we also had no right of appeal.

Hi nava24,

I had to go to Manchester from Sheffield for my medical, took just 1 day for the ok to proceed from the doctor.
I have not been invited for an interview but I had a call from my case worker. He said everything looked ok and should be straight forward, he just requested a couple more documents. I check my application on a regular basis but it still says "assessment in progress" .

It's strange how I feel like my life is on hold until I get the go ahead. I'm over in Sydney in October this year for a holiday. Hopefully I'll know by then and I can put out some feelers for a job etc.

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

• Like 1

Why lucky? Because sometimes DIBP decide that when you are in your later years several years of a relationship count for nothing. Had we got married when we were 18 we might have got him a visa, but because we got married late inlife and did not want to upset his UK career without a guarantee of PR in oz, plus most jobs he wanted required PR, DIBP told us to sod off. They also refused to believe that we could have a relationship that did not revolve around posting soppy photos publicly on facebook, and involved us spending time apart persuing our own hobbies and interests, we could not be genuine. Basically they told us that because we did not live in each others pockets, and post our every breath in public, we could not be genuine. 

As a result I had to abandon an excellent job ($150,000+) in Queensland and move back to the UK where I now stack shelves and do whatever else I can get. Yes, we are together, but we have more than halved our income and can no longer travel, which was one of our major passions and whch drew us together. I had been in oz for 20 years, we had planned our future to be in oz, travelling round the world from there. I lost thousands of dollars in leaving stuff in oz, giving up our flat lease etc, to say nothing of the money wasted on the visa -we had got to the PR stage and spent a fortune. 
Because my husband was in the UK working on an inmportant contract at the of the refusal we also had no right of appeal.

Wow i am so sorry to hear this. I agree though, a relationship is between 2 people not 2 people and Facebook! I dont post loads on facebook about my husband because it is nobody elses business!

Good luck with things in the future x

Sent from my SM-G930F using PomsinOz mobile app

22 hours ago, Nemesis said:

It sounds like you got a very narrow-minded case officer.  Most stories I read are quite different, and as long as the applicants have enough balanced evidence of the relationship, there aren't too many difficulties.  In your shoes, I probably would have submitted a new application making sure to address any possible concern they could have.

10 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

It sounds like you got a very narrow-minded case officer.  Most stories I read are quite different, and as long as the applicants have enough balanced evidence of the relationship, there aren't too many difficulties.  In your shoes, I probably would have submitted a new application making sure to address any possible concern they could have.

Firstly we do not have another $10,000 hanging around for visa fees, medicals, pcc etc etc. Secondly with the length of the queues we would have had another 18 months or more to wait - and a strong chance that we would be rejected again. We have no new information or anything and without that.... well, the professional advice was to not even think about reapplying yet. Best we could do was wait several years - with him only able to visit as a tourist - and then try and prove the relationship still exists at a later date! We aren't youngsters, we want some chance of a life togethger, so I upped sticks and came home. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 13:00, Nemesis said:

Firstly we do not have another $10,000 hanging around for visa fees, medicals, pcc etc etc. Secondly with the length of the queues we would have had another 18 months or more to wait - and a strong chance that we would be rejected again. We have no new information or anything and without that.... well, the professional advice was to not even think about reapplying yet. Best we could do was wait several years - with him only able to visit as a tourist - and then try and prove the relationship still exists at a later date! We aren't youngsters, we want some chance of a life togethger, so I upped sticks and came home. 

I'm sorry to hear about your situation... social networking has changed the game and for us "older" generations who are not accustomed to share our private life on Facebook and the likes it's not necessarily a natural thing to do. I hope you get through this :(

Congrats @Andy R! That was one fast grant :)