Moreton Bay College

restfamily

Hi

we are moving to Brisbane Bayside and are at decision time re schools. I've one of each gender, years 4 and 7, bright kids with ADHD / autism / anxiety, not religious family. For my son the choices are Moreton Bay Boys College and Ormiston College. For my daughter Moreton Bay College, Ormiston College and Lourdes Hill. We will probably live closest to the Moreton Bay Colleges. 

There are pros and cons to them all, kids at same school, kids close to home, language and sport choices. Does anyone have any inside gossip, especially on Moreton Bay College as it seems to have had a lot of management change recently. Anything else that might tip my decision?

thanks

We moved to Bayside from UK in December. After much research last year we chose Sheldon college. Then I came over for a flying visit and toured Sheldon and hated it.

I enrolled my then 3 and 6 year olds at Ormiston College and we've had no reason to be sorry for the choice. Great pastoral support, excellent communication with parents, good focus on academia without neglecting sports/drama/music, loads of extracurricular stuff to chose from and most importantly a lovely "feel" to the place. 

Different schools suit different families and if at all possible, visit first. I have colleagues using Sheldon who are very happy there for example, but I know it wouldn't suit my children.

We are not religious at all. There is a minor amount of religious stuff at assemblies but no more than any uk state school. It seems pretty inclusive of other faiths. 

Moreton Bay has a good reputation but I know nothing about it.

You may need to apply to both and see where has places. Bear in mind too that holding back a year is very common here. My eldest is the youngest in year 2, with 7th birthday in June, and a large proportion of the class turned 8 several months ago. So if your children are a bit behind at all, or struggling emotionally, consider the advantages of holding back a year. 

Year for year, Aus is behind the UK academically (in my opinion), less is expected, but they are oceans ahead in terms of developing confidence, resilience etc. 

Good luck with your choice.

We are only moving from Sydney so I get the age cut offs etc :) I've a June who is the youngest and a July who is the oldest. June in nsw is almost unheard of. The unofficial cut off is really Feb here. 

I took a drive by Sheldon and it looked like an anerican holiday resort and I hated the reliance on car transportation. They don't support ADHD by nature of their "sweat the small stuff" as those kids can't remember all their uniform. Same for autism, it would make these kids more rule obsessed.

im glad you Ormiston as it's the one we've settled on. Applications in. Hopefully we will hear next week after school holidays.

where do you now live? I wanted to live in Manly as Ormiston feels too remote but if the kids can walk to school it will be better. 

On 29/06/2017 at 03:31, restfamily said:

We are only moving from Sydney so I get the age cut offs etc :) I've a June who is the youngest and a July who is the oldest. June in nsw is almost unheard of. The unofficial cut off is really Feb here. 

I took a drive by Sheldon and it looked like an anerican holiday resort and I hated the reliance on car transportation. They don't support ADHD by nature of their "sweat the small stuff" as those kids can't remember all their uniform. Same for autism, it would make these kids more rule obsessed.

im glad you Ormiston as it's the one we've settled on. Applications in. Hopefully we will hear next week after school holidays.

where do you now live? I wanted to live in Manly as Ormiston feels too remote but if the kids can walk to school it will be better. 

Hi

We live in Wellington Point, which personally I prefer to ormiston as there's a bit more going on, plus a little beach at the point. There are parts of Wellington Point that border ormiston allowing walk to school and walk to restaurants etc at Wellington Point.

Manly is also nice, and closer to the city, so depends where you're working. Raby Bay also good, Birkdale. Thornlands doesn't really have a centre, so less village feel, and Alex Hills  is on the rougher side. There's a train line to Brissie every 15 mins with stops at Manly, Birkdale, Wellington point and Ormiston. 

Theyre all good areas ?

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2017 at 04:36, NorthernLights said:

Hi

We live in Wellington Point, which personally I prefer to ormiston as there's a bit more going on, plus a little beach at the point. There are parts of Wellington Point that border ormiston allowing walk to school and walk to restaurants etc at Wellington Point.

Manly is also nice, and closer to the city, so depends where you're working. Raby Bay also good, Birkdale. Thornlands doesn't really have a centre, so less village feel, and Alex Hills  is on the rougher side. There's a train line to Brissie every 15 mins with stops at Manly, Birkdale, Wellington point and Ormiston. 

Theyre all good areas ?

Wellington Point...one of my favorite places too! :) 

So what do you exactly mean by "Alex Hills is on the rougher side"? We used to live in Cleveland and only passed through Alex Hill on the way to the city. We'll be moving back to the Redlands this coming October and since our daughter will be going to a college in Carina, we are thinking of living closer to that area. Alex Hill, not exactly one of my favorites as we would prefer Wellington Point/Ormiston/Cleveland etc, but we are also struggling to find a house with a pool (in all areas really) and Alex Hill is also on the list.

Cheers
B1K3R

I think it really depends on your location.  Ormiston has a good reputation, and their facilities are great, but it is a the end of the train-line being near Cleveland.  We are in Manly and looking at Moreton as our final location in the Brisbane area is not finalised - any move would take us in rather than out which would make Ormiston harder logistically.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...