Young migrants to be kicked out of Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

YOUNG migrant thugs who commit crimes could be ­refused citizenship, have their visas revoked and even face deportation when they turn 18 under a new Federal Government crackdown.

Australians found to have fraudulently gained citizenship or caught lying on their applications will also have their citizenship revoked under tough new laws to be introduced to parliament this week.

The Turnbull Government will use the final two sitting weeks before the winter break to push through a raft of ­stricter citizenship measures, first announced in April.

The reforms will make permanent residents wait at least four years rather than one ­before applying for citizenship and impose tougher English language requirements.

But The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the Bill will also give Immigration Minister Peter Dutton the power to revoke the citizenship of Australians suspected of gaining citizenship through migration fraud or citizenship fraud, even if there hasn’t been a conviction.

And, for the first time, young migrants under the age of 18 will need to meet the “good character” test, meaning juvenile offenders could be ­denied citizenship and have their visas cancelled when they reach 18.

The government’s move to bring on debate this week will put pressure on the Opposition, which is refusing to say whether it will support the sweeping overhaul.

Labor’s citizenship spokesman Tony Burke accused the Coalition of refusing to provide the legislation. “Labor will deal responsibly with any sensible proposal,” he said.

Children under the age of 10 will also lose the right to citizenship if they have lived in Australia illegally at any point, under laws designed to punish parents for living here illegally.

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton called on Bill Shorten to back his plan, saying the new laws would ensure Australia was a “strong, successful, and safe, migrant nation”.

About time they actually did something.  About time they actually manage to catch these people who seem to be repeat offenders- like every single week . I wouldn't want to be a small shop keeper in Melbourne these days watching my stock being stolen and my shop smashed up every few weeks. 

• Like 2

I was listening to this driving to work, regarding the powers for the immigration minister, this came about because some people claiming asylum and that there lives were at risk et.c, but it had been proven that they'd returned to their country of origin for holidays on more than one occasion.  Their visa's had been revoked but the decision overturned at appeal.  This won't stop people being able to appeal - but the immigration minister can then overturn that ruling.

I think if visas/citizenship have been gained fraudulently then yes they should be revoked.

• Like 4

If you are saying that today people can keep their citizenship if they obtained it fraudulently or through lying on their application then obviously that should be rectified.

I can't imagine anyone would object to closing those loopholes.