Melbourne - furnished rental apartments / homes

rhu

Hi all :)

Myself and my Aussie partner are moving to Melbourne in October and will try to find work in the city centre.

Can anyone shed light on how easy/ hard it is to find a furnished place in Melbourne? Is it worth going for unfurnished and buying furniture? Bit concerned about having to buy everything including fridge and washing machine..

We are very blessed to know a couple who have let us stay with them for a few weeks while we get settled, so kind!

Is $500 reasonable ... I heard it's very competitive to the point you have to offer more or pay a few months rent in advance..!

Any tips on renting/ good areas would be most welcome

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

• Like 1

Not sure about Melb but I know I'm Sydney & the Gold Coast it's near enough impossible to find a furnished property, and if you do they'll charge you a lot more for it. Times that by 12 months of the year & you could have bought your own stuff. We arrived with nothing & used Gum tree & all the Facebook buy & sell pages to get our furniture. You'll be amazed at how much stuff people give away for free roo

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

95% + of long term rentals are unfurnished.

Check out domain.com.au or realestate.com.au

Budget will depend on what you want.  Meant to be a big oversupply of units hitting the market in Melbourne so you may have your pick.

Gumtree, Facebook marketplace, charity shops all good for cheap 2nd hand furniture.  There is always IKEA too.

• Like 1

Though there are advantages of renting unfurnished, we wanted to keep it simple and go furnished and avoid all the hassle. When we originally flew down for the day from Sydney, we found a handful of 2 bed 2 bath furnished flats around the $650/week range but when we saw it in person we didnt like it. (We flew back to Sydney and we had the option of going splits with my brother n partner so we did that. Ended up getting a top floor corner flat, 3 beds, 2 baths and a guest toilet, fully furnished and we split the rent at $525/week each)

$500 a week maybe on the lower side but there are apartments in the city for this range. It could be with smaller agencies and may take longer to find one but you can. It may be on the smaller side and only a 1 bed 1 bath. If you move out a suburb or two then it you can find a lot more in your range.

Quickest way is spend a few hours on realestate and pretty soon you can see the trend : which agents focus on which areas, which agents tend to have a lot of furnished apartments, size of the flats and going rates in the area. Its usually much easier to find a furnished flat than a home but we did find amazing houses/units, fully furnished in the $750/week range in South Melbourne, which is like 10 mins from the CBD

All the best!!!

KnK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few furnished places available in Melbourne and inner city area. The supply tends to go sparse as you go further out. Most of the furnished places are in Melbourne CBD, Southbank, South Yarra, Prahran, St Kilda.  Between a furnished and unfurnished place, it would really depend on how long you plan on staying in Melbourne. As you already know, you'll be paying extra for the furnishings and appliances. Fridges and washing machines you can get for cheap, even second hand if you like. One of our clients needed fridge, washing machine, microwave and vacuum cleaner (which is essential that people tend to forget when they are moving), and the fridge for a midsized one was only under $500. Washing machine was around $800. 

In terms of options, you'll get more choices with unfurnished. In both furnished and unfurnished, you'll have to connect and pay for your own utilities. 

If you are staying for two years or more, I'd say go for unfurnished because you can sell the furniture and appliances later on and some money back. It sounds like you and your partner are staying for good so go unfurnished.

• Like 1

Oh and $500 is reasonable for a 1-bedroom furnished. You only have to pay one month's rent in advance. Unfurnished 1 bedroom apartments range from $330 to $410. When you tip over the $420/430 mark you'll start seeing 2 bedrooms. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Try Living Corporate - they do serviced apartments in the CBD. We had a 2-bed sub-penthouse apartment with them on the 46th floor on Collins St. it was spacious and all three kids fitted in one room (ok for a month but not ideal for longer!). Weekly cleaning was included, and you had access to the building's gymn and pool. We paid $1100 a week.