Interstate moving costs - what does it cost??

aconcannon

Hubby and I are looking at moving from Sydney's northern beaches to the Gold Coast but have no idea what sort of costs we'd be looking at to move our stuff.

At the most we'd be looking at sending our fridge, washing machine, modular couch, king bed & mattress, queen bed & mattress, 2 40" TV's and about 15 tea chest sized boxes.

Has anybody moved interstate with a similar amount of stuff to give me a rough idea of what sort of costs we'd be looking at please?

Thanks

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Guest The Pom Queen

We moved Melbourne to Cairns with Crown it cost $5,000 ish. We moved Townsville to Brissy and it cost $900 for a back load. 

Guest The Pom Queen

Also look at hiring a van and moving it yourself. Watch out though as some charge a one way fee which is triple of the van hire. I wonder how them trailers work that you hire form the servos. 

Guest The Pom Queen

That would probably be the cheapest way of doing it.

A back load is basically extra space that is left on a truck who is travelling that route anyway. That is why they can afford to do it a lot cheaper than a normal removalist. 

If you hire a van check what the km is. It can still be cheaper to do this, for example if you were doing a return trip and it was 500km it would be cheaper to hire the van for 5 days in some cases rather than 2 days and have the extras to pay.

That would probably be the cheapest way of doing it.
A back load is basically extra space that is left on a truck who is travelling that route anyway. That is why they can afford to do it a lot cheaper than a normal removalist. 
If you hire a van check what the km is. It can still be cheaper to do this, for example if you were doing a return trip and it was 500km it would be cheaper to hire the van for 5 days in some cases rather than 2 days and have the extras to pay.

I just did an online chat with one of the comparison sites & it looks as though 500km is the average number of free km's on a truck rental...it's over 2,000km from Sydney to the Gold Coast & back. Every extra km is $0.28. Could work out around the same as a removals company by the time you add fuel & man power is...decisions decisions. How much stuff did you move with crown for the $5,000 trip to Cairns & what year was that please?

Guest The Pom Queen
5 minutes ago, aconcannon said:

I will do most definitely! Do they have to stipulate the move date though based on the availability?

Yes and no. Most are large companies and have trucks doing that route on a daily basis.

Guest The Pom Queen
7 minutes ago, aconcannon said:

Sounds like a brilliant idea, thank you!!

Just get a few quotes though just like with removal companies. We had anything from $500 to $2000, we thought the $500 was too cheap so went with the $900 one but we were so happy we gave him a $1000 as removal companies from Townsville to Brissy wanted around $3,500.

I used a crowd called a2b removals.  They were a bit rough and ready and not great at communications, keeping me updated.  But everything arrived ok.

I did all the packing and unpacking.  They did the loading, transport and unloading.

• Like 1

We have just got quotes with these people. Quick to reply to questions and pretty cheap.

I think as others have said with theirs, might be a bit rough around the edges. But they let us book without an ongoing address and don't charge for weekends (delivery anyway), not much extra for having to use a lift and get to an apartment (I asked for a general cost). We are moving Melb to Bris and worst thing is they say it will take 2 or 3 days, depends on what they are carrying and drop of points I guess. Our stuff is getting on a bit so don't really care so much. Would maybe go with 'proper' removalist if things were new and treasured

www.backloadingremovals.com.au/

You can get a quote from a few places and download their item list forms. Some let you calculate square meters in a spreadsheet, which is basically what they will charge you on.

• Like 1