Jump to content
Jordan01

6 months in...... best decision ever!

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone

Just thought we would update you all as we have now been in Brisbane for 6 months.

We applied for our visas in May 2016 and visas were granted in September 2016.  We moved to Brisbane on 25th December 2016.

We sold everything and just bought our suitcases and a small Move Cube of personal belongings.  Rented a furnished house before we landed and had personal items delivered to that address in time for our arrival. Hadn't been to Brisbane before so weren't really sure if we had picked the right location?  We struck lucky!  Not only have we picked the perfect house its in the perfect location!  Sorted out electric, broadband and phone before we left the UK.  Saw the car we wanted on Gumtree and bought it the day after we arrived in Oz!  Bank accounts sorted also before we left the UK  Just turned up at the bank the first working day to collect our cards.

My wife landed a teaching job as soon as we arrived.  She is, however, still sorting out her accreditation 6 months down the track.  It will eventually be back dated.  Just one of those fiddly things to have to deal with. I got a job as a maintenance officer 2 months after we arrived.  Plumber by trade.  Qualifications not recognised here so didn't go down that route.  Dream job only 11 minutes from home.  Our son (15) was accepted into school before we arrived so just had to get his uniform.  Our daughter (16) stayed in the UK to finish her GSCE's and  arrives next week.

Went to a boat show in the city two months ago and bought a boat (cabin cruiser) which we have named Wine Down!  Out every weekend discovering the beautiful scenery.  Sleep in it most weekends.

This is truly the best decision we have ever made, the country and the people are amazing.

 

 

  • Like 17

VISA 309/100 Applied for 27 May 2016. C.O Assigned 13th June 2016. Medicals uploaded 28th August 2016. Police checks uploaded 30th August 2016......Visa granted 31 October 2016....HOORAY !!!!! Leaving Christmas Day 2016 :xmas29:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wonderful update. Thank you for logging back on and sharing. This is what people need to read whilst they are waiting for the visa.

  • Like 4

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jordan01, what an inspiring move! We've got a similar path-visa granted in April, baby born in May, moving to Brisbane in August. Still gotta sort the house out. Whereabouts in Brisbane did you guys move to? Were still confused about what to do regarding accommodation.

Cheers,

DN

Edited by DukeNinja

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jordan01 said:

Hi everyone

Just thought we would update you all as we have now been in Brisbane for 6 months.

We applied for our visas in May 2016 and visas were granted in September 2016.  We moved to Brisbane on 25th December 2016.

We sold everything and just bought our suitcases and a small Move Cube of personal belongings.  Rented a furnished house before we landed and had personal items delivered to that address in time for our arrival. Hadn't been to Brisbane before so weren't really sure if we had picked the right location?  We struck lucky!  Not only have we picked the perfect house its in the perfect location!  Sorted out electric, broadband and phone before we left the UK.  Saw the car we wanted on Gumtree and bought it the day after we arrived in Oz!  Bank accounts sorted also before we left the UK  Just turned up at the bank the first working day to collect our cards.

My wife landed a teaching job as soon as we arrived.  She is, however, still sorting out her accreditation 6 months down the track.  It will eventually be back dated.  Just one of those fiddly things to have to deal with. I got a job as a maintenance officer 2 months after we arrived.  Plumber by trade.  Qualifications not recognised here so didn't go down that route.  Dream job only 11 minutes from home.  Our son (15) was accepted into school before we arrived so just had to get his uniform.  Our daughter (16) stayed in the UK to finish her GSCE's and  arrives next week.

Went to a boat show in the city two months ago and bought a boat (cabin cruiser) which we have named Wine Down!  Out every weekend discovering the beautiful scenery.  Sleep in it most weekends.

This is truly the best decision we have ever made, the country and the people are amazing.

 

 

I wish I'd sold everything! I have a garage packed with stuff that I left in Sydney when I moved back to England in 1997 and an attic in my house in England that is packed with stuff that I left there when I came back to Sydney in December 2008. Glad to hear your move has been so easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to hear it's all falling into place for you. Brisbane is a great place so you choose well.

Cal x


If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds Awesome and well done! I truly hope our move to Sydney goes just as well


Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

What a wonderful update. Thank you for logging back on and sharing. This is what people need to read whilst they are waiting for the visa.

Exactly what you said PQ!!!! Brilliant to read such positivity so people like us who have just booked the Ielts and the skills assessment stuff starts tomorrow. We are extremely early in our migration quest so this just fills me with confidence!!! Love this!!! Good luck to the original poster, sounds like you're smashing it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you! 

Enjoy it matey, I mean, Capt'n!

B


190 State Nomination (65 + 5 = 70 pts) | Primary Teacher | AITSL Skills Assessment submitted 10 04 '16 | Successful AITSL Skills Assessment 10 06 '16 | Recce to Mellie August 2016 | IELTS result 27 08 '16 (Av. 8.5) | State Nomination Application lodged 31 08 '16 | State Teaching Registration approved 23 12 '16 | State Nomination approved 23 01 '16 | EOI lodged 13 05 '17 | Invitation to apply received 15 05 '17 | Visa application lodged 03 07 '17 | CO allocated, medicals requested 24 07 '17 | Medicals completed 31 08 '17 | OMG! Visa Grant 28 09 '17 - we're Aussie Residents!!! Wahoo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Thanks for coming back to let us know how you are getting on. Really glad its fallen into place for you and you are enjoying your life here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2017 at 20:27, DukeNinja said:

Hi Jordan01, what an inspiring move! We've got a similar path-visa granted in April, baby born in May, moving to Brisbane in August. Still gotta sort the house out. Whereabouts in Brisbane did you guys move to? Were still confused about what to do regarding accommodation.

Cheers,

DN

Hi guys

We moved to Manly.  Its the best spot ever.  On the bay with so much to do.  We sail with the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron and take our boat out from there as well.  Its 20 minutes on the train into the city and 15 minutes to the airport.  All the connecting motorways are 5 minutes away and a large shopping centre on our door step.

We have everything we need here and more!

Good luck!

  • Like 2

VISA 309/100 Applied for 27 May 2016. C.O Assigned 13th June 2016. Medicals uploaded 28th August 2016. Police checks uploaded 30th August 2016......Visa granted 31 October 2016....HOORAY !!!!! Leaving Christmas Day 2016 :xmas29:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is so good to hear and such an encouragement for others following on!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×