6 months in...... best decision ever!

Jordan01

Hi everyone

Just thought we would update you all as we have now been in Brisbane for 6 months.

We applied for our visas in May 2016 and visas were granted in September 2016.  We moved to Brisbane on 25th December 2016.

We sold everything and just bought our suitcases and a small Move Cube of personal belongings.  Rented a furnished house before we landed and had personal items delivered to that address in time for our arrival. Hadn't been to Brisbane before so weren't really sure if we had picked the right location?  We struck lucky!  Not only have we picked the perfect house its in the perfect location!  Sorted out electric, broadband and phone before we left the UK.  Saw the car we wanted on Gumtree and bought it the day after we arrived in Oz!  Bank accounts sorted also before we left the UK  Just turned up at the bank the first working day to collect our cards.

My wife landed a teaching job as soon as we arrived.  She is, however, still sorting out her accreditation 6 months down the track.  It will eventually be back dated.  Just one of those fiddly things to have to deal with. I got a job as a maintenance officer 2 months after we arrived.  Plumber by trade.  Qualifications not recognised here so didn't go down that route.  Dream job only 11 minutes from home.  Our son (15) was accepted into school before we arrived so just had to get his uniform.  Our daughter (16) stayed in the UK to finish her GSCE's and  arrives next week.

Went to a boat show in the city two months ago and bought a boat (cabin cruiser) which we have named Wine Down!  Out every weekend discovering the beautiful scenery.  Sleep in it most weekends.

This is truly the best decision we have ever made, the country and the people are amazing.

• Like 16

Guest The Pom Queen

What a wonderful update. Thank you for logging back on and sharing. This is what people need to read whilst they are waiting for the visa.

Hi Jordan01, what an inspiring move! We've got a similar path-visa granted in April, baby born in May, moving to Brisbane in August. Still gotta sort the house out. Whereabouts in Brisbane did you guys move to? Were still confused about what to do regarding accommodation.

Cheers,

DN

Edited by DukeNinja

Just now, Jordan01 said:

Hi everyone

Just thought we would update you all as we have now been in Brisbane for 6 months.

We applied for our visas in May 2016 and visas were granted in September 2016.  We moved to Brisbane on 25th December 2016.

We sold everything and just bought our suitcases and a small Move Cube of personal belongings.  Rented a furnished house before we landed and had personal items delivered to that address in time for our arrival. Hadn't been to Brisbane before so weren't really sure if we had picked the right location?  We struck lucky!  Not only have we picked the perfect house its in the perfect location!  Sorted out electric, broadband and phone before we left the UK.  Saw the car we wanted on Gumtree and bought it the day after we arrived in Oz!  Bank accounts sorted also before we left the UK  Just turned up at the bank the first working day to collect our cards.

My wife landed a teaching job as soon as we arrived.  She is, however, still sorting out her accreditation 6 months down the track.  It will eventually be back dated.  Just one of those fiddly things to have to deal with. I got a job as a maintenance officer 2 months after we arrived.  Plumber by trade.  Qualifications not recognised here so didn't go down that route.  Dream job only 11 minutes from home.  Our son (15) was accepted into school before we arrived so just had to get his uniform.  Our daughter (16) stayed in the UK to finish her GSCE's and  arrives next week.

Went to a boat show in the city two months ago and bought a boat (cabin cruiser) which we have named Wine Down!  Out every weekend discovering the beautiful scenery.  Sleep in it most weekends.

This is truly the best decision we have ever made, the country and the people are amazing.

I wish I'd sold everything! I have a garage packed with stuff that I left in Sydney when I moved back to England in 1997 and an attic in my house in England that is packed with stuff that I left there when I came back to Sydney in December 2008. Glad to hear your move has been so easy.

8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

What a wonderful update. Thank you for logging back on and sharing. This is what people need to read whilst they are waiting for the visa.

Exactly what you said PQ!!!! Brilliant to read such positivity so people like us who have just booked the Ielts and the skills assessment stuff starts tomorrow. We are extremely early in our migration quest so this just fills me with confidence!!! Love this!!! Good luck to the original poster, sounds like you're smashing it!

• Like 1

Thanks for coming back to let us know how you are getting on. Really glad its fallen into place for you and you are enjoying your life here.

On 11/06/2017 at 20:27, DukeNinja said:

Hi Jordan01, what an inspiring move! We've got a similar path-visa granted in April, baby born in May, moving to Brisbane in August. Still gotta sort the house out. Whereabouts in Brisbane did you guys move to? Were still confused about what to do regarding accommodation.

Cheers,

DN

Hi guys

We moved to Manly.  Its the best spot ever.  On the bay with so much to do.  We sail with the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron and take our boat out from there as well.  Its 20 minutes on the train into the city and 15 minutes to the airport.  All the connecting motorways are 5 minutes away and a large shopping centre on our door step.

We have everything we need here and more!

Good luck!

• Like 2