Ielts score for 189 visa?

SUPERSTARDJ01

10 minutes ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

Hi,

My wife is taking her ielts exam on 24/06 (her birthday emoji31.png) she jeeps getting a score of 7 on her practice exams i just want to check if she gets a 7 on her academic test can she top up her scire to an 8 by doing the general test? And if so what score does she need?

Thank you

Sent from my LG-H850 using PomsinOz mobile app

No, you can't 'top up' academic with general. They are two separate tests. 

How many points does she need? A score of 7 in all categories will give her 10 points, unless she needs the 20 points then she will need a score of 8 in all. 

i know this doesn't answer your question with regards to topping up your points but it may be worth seeing exactly how many points she needs 

How many points does she need? A score of 7 in all categories will give her 10 points, unless she needs the 20 points then she will need a score of 8 in all. 
i know this doesn't answer your question with regards to topping up your points but it may be worth seeing exactly how many points she needs 

She needs 20 for a 189 or 10 for the 489 visa.

So, say she needs 20 points, but has take academic as part of her skills assessment. Getting 20 points through the academic test can be difficult. So, if she only gets 7 overall on the academic, she can also take the general ilets test, which is easier. If she gets eight on this, she submits the academic one for her skills assessment and the general one for the visa points. 

Cn I also ask how old she is, as age limits are about to change

35 minutes ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

ahhh i see, i thought the same, i thought it was an overall score but i have recently spoken to my agent as she is preparing my EOI and i have been given 10 points even though i got an overall of 8. When i have read the breakdown again it does actually a score of 7 in each section gives 10 points and a score of 8 in each section gives a score of 20. Maybe speak to your agent regarding the general test and see if it worth doing it. 
She needs 20 for a 189 or 10 for the 489 visa.

13 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

Has anyone taken the general? Is it much easier?

Not really. I found them to be similar, but general is easier to grasp overall. No need to take academic unless required to (for skill assessment).

But what I can tell is that there should be significant preparation to boost mark from 7 to 8, particularly in writing (or reading at times).

Just to clarify regarding the points:

1. Forget overall score, its irrelevant in this case

2. 7/7/7/7 score gives 10 points

3. 8/8/8/8 score gives 20 points

and just so you are aware ,IELTS is not the only option. there is the PTE and others. I needed 8s and couldnt hit it with IELTS. i took pearson and scored almost equivalent to 9s in all and that was the test best suited to me. keep your options open if you have the choice to do so.

So, say she needs 20 points, but has take academic as part of her skills assessment. Getting 20 points through the academic test can be difficult. So, if she only gets 7 overall on the academic, she can also take the general ilets test, which is easier. If she gets eight on this, she submits the academic one for her skills assessment and the general one for the visa points. 
Cn I also ask how old she is, as age limits are about to change

Yeah, shes 34 this month and a midwife so an academic 7 is needed, she tried the pte practice questions and thought they werent set out well and confusing, she prefers ielts, shes been putting in. 4+hrs of practice on her days off so we're hoping for an 8 or 7 at least, not sure on what visa we're going for, will be a 189 if she gets an 8 or 7 and wants to sit again but if its too much and she gets a 7 shes been offered sponsorship by a qld hospital.

Has anyone taken the general? Is it much easier?

I've taken both in academic I scored 9 in all sections apart from the writing 7.5 so submitted that for nursing skills assessment. So sat the general to try get the 20 visa points and got the same results in that all 3 times that I sat it ?. So in answer the listening and reading may be a tiny bit easier but it depends on where your weak areas are. I ended up sitting the PTE to get my 20 visa points.

Sent from my SM-A310F using PomsinOz mobile app

• 3 weeks later...