Why did you come to Australia? (In a sentence!)

MARYROSE02

The kids and for us into retirement, I mean who really wants to grow old in the cold and wet looking older than you probably am while feeling even older because of the cold and the wet and the dickensian living in a lot of areas still, that coupled with overcrowding in many inner city locations not everyone as a farmyard outlook from a kitchen window do they, did I mention the cold and the wet.;)

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:27, MARYROSE02 said:

If Corbo had won just a few more seats it might have been OK to go back! Actually, from what I've been reading in the Weekend Australian the election has been "Lose- Lose" for everybody.

Nothing would ever make me move back there to live. It is OK to visit now and again though. Australia is my forever home now.

• Like 3

Partner is Australian - so for her a move to be closer to family;

For us it's lifestyle, weather better job opportunities and options for future retirement.

Besides, the current situation at home in the U.K., Brexit, the results of cumulative economic austerity policies since 2008 and now more recently extremist and terror attacks on a very regular basis, meant we were getting to this point of moving, sooner rather than later.

So all in all, to be closer to loved ones, for a better life and all that Oz has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ssiri said:

Partner is Australian - so for her a move to be closer to family;

For us it's lifestyle, weather better job opportunities and options for future retirement.

Besides, the current situation at home in the U.K., Brexit, the results of cumulative economic austerity policies since 2008 and now more recently extremist and terror attacks on a very regular basis, meant we were getting to this point of moving, sooner rather than later.

So all in all, to be closer to loved ones, for a better life and all that Oz has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

When I went back the first time, after nearly five years, in 1983, I'd been reading about riots all over Britain, three million unemployed, long queues outside Australia House of people desperate to leave, but when I got there, everything was just as it was when I left in 1978.  I lived there from 1996 to 2008 and again, everything was OK. I even got used to the winter weather.  I've not been back since 2008 and I am thinking again, "Britain is in the ****" but I wouldn't bet on "third time unlucky" if and when I do go back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Celt Down Under said:

Not me MR. Lived here 36 years, longer than I lived in the UK by a few years. I know which is the best country for me. :jiggy:

Beat you, mate...54 years in Australia and 16 in the UK.

In a sentence, why did I come to Australia?   night shift oarsman on a roman galley and chained to the post...Or...The navigator turned the galley left at the Cape Of Good Hope.

Would I go back? Not a chance.nono.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

In a sentence, why did I come to Australia?   night shift oarsman on a roman galley and chained to the post...Or...The navigator turned the galley left at the Cape Of Good Hope.

Cheers, Bobj.

I can understand why you won't go back Bobj, apparently these days the long flight over is a real pain for some.

• Like 1

I still have not figured out why I came! I might attach my essay in which I included a few posts from here - no names of course! I'll do it later as, at 2pm, it's time for my before work siesta.

PS having climbed into bed with phone and wheat bag got SMS to say shift is cancelled.  If they sent another one to say u can come I'm already psyched up to stay home. 

I'm not cancelling my siesta either. 

I'm not "living the dream"; I'm just "living."

Edited by MARYROSE02
Addition

6 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

I can understand why you won't go back Bobj, apparently these days the long flight over is a real pain for some.

I went (by sea) in 1967 for a 6 month holiday. So disappointed that the UK had slipped further in the brown stuff that I came back to WA after only 1 month,(a rattle trap Boeing 707) and vowed never to go back again.

The forward bulkhead almost fell on me when we were in a storm west of Singapore. The Captain radioed through that we would be climbing to 45000ft in an effort to get over the storm...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I still have not figured out why I came! I might attach my essay in which I included a few posts from here - no names of course! I'll do it later as, at 2pm, it's time for bed

I think you know why you came but haven't figured out why you returned after your stint back in the UK.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

I think you know why you came but haven't figured out why you returned after your stint back in the UK.

If my parents had still been alive and/or both my brothers still lived there I might still be there. Then again, if my parents had not been living in the UK in 1996 I never would have gone back after I was made redundant from my job in Sydney. Now, I'm into my ninth year back in Sydney and I still have not been back to the UK. I have been vaguely thinking about going in August/September but it would just be a holiday. Whenever I went back before my parents were waiting at Heathrow for me, or after they died, I still had a home to go to.

I remember a mate in England used to say to me "You should have stayed with Royal Mail until you were sixty" and I'd wonder if he was right. I was fifty four when I came back but now I'm working again over here and not planning to retire it doesn't matter any more. I don't need to work but the extra money is nice and I like the job.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2017 at 04:26, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Same here wouldn't get me back even in a coffin

• Like 1