How secure is luggage in transit ?

Dec05

Hi all,

we are currently packing our bags for the big move. My son is bringing his xbox & games and we have a variety of laptops and tablets.

I'm wondering how secure is our luggage ? My husband thinks we should keep these higher value items in our hand luggage - but I'd prefer put them in our checked luggage - they will be too heavy in my opinion. He is concerned that they will be stolen from our baggage.

What does everyone else do ?

We just kept iPads, phones and cameras in hand luggage. Everything else in checked baggage. Never had anything stolen and travelled a lot over the years. We also sent 2 suitcases unaccompanied, they took about a month to arrive and we seriously thought we would never see them again but they arrived eventually and it was all good. 

I've always used  good quality locks on luggage and never had anything stolen.  Some international terminals have kiosks which shrink wrap luggage in plastic if you want to be super secure.

Edited by Skani

If we fly with ipads and laptop they go in hand luggage. TBH I'd not check those purely as we use them during travel, not because of their value. 

I'd be inclined to put the Xbox into your checked baggage and if it does go walkies, make a claim on your travel insurance. 

You honestly don't need that much in hand luggage anyways. I usually have plenty of room left over once its actually packed and cram in extra stuff just because. Even then I struggle to fill the bag but probably hit the weight of 7kg with the combination of stuff. 

5 hours ago, Dec05 said:

Hi all,

we are currently packing our bags for the big move. My son is bringing his xbox & games and we have a variety of laptops and tablets.

I'm wondering how secure is our luggage ? My husband thinks we should keep these higher value items in our hand luggage - but I'd prefer put them in our checked luggage - they will be too heavy in my opinion. He is concerned that they will be stolen from our baggage.

What does everyone else do ?

Twenty years ago I had a phone and a pair of sunglasses stolen from the side pockets of my checked in luggage. Since then I've never put things in side pockets and have been fine.

1 hour ago, snifter said:

If we fly with ipads and laptop they go in hand luggage. TBH I'd not check those purely as we use them during travel, not because of their value. 

I'd be inclined to put the Xbox into your checked baggage and if it does go walkies, make a claim on your travel insurance. 

You honestly don't need that much in hand luggage anyways. I usually have plenty of room left over once its actually packed and cram in extra stuff just because. Even then I struggle to fill the bag but probably hit the weight of 7kg with the combination of stuff. 

There can be restrictions nowadays, depending on where you are flying through, so it's best to check.

1 hour ago, Skani said:

I've always used  good quality locks on luggage and never had anything stolen.  Some international terminals have kiosks which shrink wrap luggage in plastic if you want to be super secure.

If they need to access your bag to 'check' something they will just cut your locks off. 

7 minutes ago, newjez said:

There can be restrictions nowadays, depending on where you are flying through, so it's best to check.

The OP is departing the UK. I wasn't aware there were restrictions for that, only incoming from certain locations and airlines. 

Either way, the OP can check what is allowed or isn't with their airline if need be. 

Guest The Pom Queen

My son works as a baggage handler and he says it is so easy for handlers to take things and although it hasn't happened where he works it has at another airport and the culprit thought it didn't matter because the victim would claim off their insurance. My son always tells me to check my case before I leave the airport because once you leave the airline can no longer be held responsible. How many of us actually sit there though and open up our case after a long flight. 

We always carry expensive items in hand luggage.

Thanks for the replies. Hubbie is super paranoid since he had his gilette razor (Mac 3 - still a sore point :P) stolen from his baggage once ! 

We already have to bring a couple of laptops so am dreading lugging a pile of electronics. We are going through Abu Dhabi so I'll check with the airline.

Thanks for all the replies - really appreciate it !!

I'd put the X-Box/games in the suitcase, but bring laptops etc in hand luggage.  I think you get 7kg of hand luggage on most flights, and I've found that a light rucksack with a laptop, ipad, phone/keys/purse, a book, change of t-shirt/undies etc has never come to over 7kg.  Remember you can usually split it between bags too - I only took one bag last time, but on other occasions I've taken a handbag in addition which contained my phone, purse, keys, tissues, hand wipes, medication pen and notebooks etc and wasn't weighed.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Luisa Cannon said:

It depends on which airline you are flying with

Not so much the airline, but the airports involved. The airlines have very little to do with your baggage, its handled by contractors. So for instance flying from Heathrow to New York with BA, AA, Delta or Virgin the chances of baggage issues are pretty much the same across all airlines.. 

As a frequent flyer I've never had anything stolen from my bags, but then I never put anything valuable in them. I once had a suitcase arrive open on the carousel in Sydney, I informed the customs guys and they didn't seem interested. I carry important papers, laptop and phones in my hand carry. Anything that goes in my suitcase is replaceable (an xbox would fit in that category in my opinion). 

Hi,

Just to update - we flew with our laptops in our hand luggage and out son carried his xbox (wrapped in bubble wrap) in his hand luggage.

It was too important to him to risk it being stolen / damaged. The way suitcases are flung about anyway the bigger risk was probably it being damaged rather than nicked.

Thanks for all the replies !