Customs rules on furniture from the U.K

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and as a family we are in the very early stages of planning our new life Down Under. Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I basically wondered if anyone knew how strict the Australian customs are regarding furniture we move over. I want to buy some pieces of oak bedroom furniture (to complete a set, something we had been saving for before our new grand plan!) in the U.K as I know it will be hard to source an exact match in Australia. However the customs website says we must have owned our furniture for 12 months. My dilemma is, if we end up moving out within the next 6 months and I decided to buy the furniture now before we go, will it just be confiscated?! A small problem in the grand scheme of things but now that I know all you clever folk are out there I thought I'd make use of you! Many thanks. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Providing the furniture isn't shrink wrapped in its original packaging, alongside the invoice from the furniture shop customs won't have any way of knowing that you've had it for less than 12 months.  I can't remember anyone being stung for new goods in the time I've been on the forum.

• Like 1

I don;t think you would have any issues..Customs would be more concerned if you have multiple new items for obvious re sale ,like 10 tv's or 5 washing machines. Its not a bad idea to take items out of their original packaging but i don;t think they would even flinch at a bedroom set, in fact theyd probably be more concerned about the wood it was made of,lol.

Lots of luck with the move

Cal x

Thanks so much for your help. You both said what I was hoping to hear! Now I just need to convince the hubby!

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2017 at 20:46, Penny64 said:

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and as a family we are in the very early stages of planning our new life Down Under. Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I basically wondered if anyone knew how strict the Australian customs are regarding furniture we move over. I want to buy some pieces of oak bedroom furniture (to complete a set, something we had been saving for before our new grand plan!) in the U.K as I know it will be hard to source an exact match in Australia. However the customs website says we must have owned our furniture for 12 months. My dilemma is, if we end up moving out within the next 6 months and I decided to buy the furniture now before we go, will it just be confiscated?! A small problem in the grand scheme of things but now that I know all you clever folk are out there I thought I'd make use of you! Many thanks. emoji846.png

Hi, a warning to others shipping furniture,  we are awaiting our parent visa and are putting furniture into store before shipping when we have a 143 visa.  We have just discovered however after completing an insurance proposal that to ship our rosewood dining table etc., from any European country, we need a Cites export certificate even though we have owned it since the early 70's and it is for our own use,  we may also need an Australian import license.  This is because some rosewood is endangered. We were warned that without this we could be heavily fined or the whole container sent back!

Further info www.gov.uk  FED0172

Cites.org (go to national contacts Then select country ie Australia)

More paperwork! 

• Like 2