English Test Advice Cambridge or Pearson

Hi my husband just got his result for Ielts!!

This was his 2nd attempt he got 8 in 3 components but a 5 in reading

This result was similar to the first exam

reading is proving very difficult with the area of question false, true or not given section

At £160 per go and a day off work each time it's getting very pricey

Has anyone done the Cambridge or Pearson Test? Would you say they are easier?

• Like 1

hi I've done both kept failing on my writing , I've taken ielts 10 times [emoji17] so have now taken the pte academic and missed out by two points ,found pte better just got to keep plugging away

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

It's so gutting and frustrating

Is PTE computer based?

Fingers crossed you get it next time

I've not done the Cambridge but I have done both the IELTS and PTE. I definitely prefer the PTE. I would recommend lots of practice for whichever one he decides to do next. Everyone underestimates how hard it is to score high in these exams, I payed for both the official persons practice with two marked practice exams and the e2language.com PTE practice. It was well worth the money. Good luck for next time.

Sent from my SM-A310F using PomsinOz mobile app

• Like 1

I've not done the Cambridge but I have done both the IELTS and PTE. I definitely prefer the PTE. I would recommend lots of practice for whichever one he decides to do next. Everyone underestimates how hard it is to score high in these exams, I payed for both the official persons practice with two marked practice exams and the e2language.com PTE practice. It was well worth the money. Good luck for next time.

Sent from my SM-A310F using PomsinOz mobile app

Thanks for the advice Susie he has practice lots that's why he got 8 on 3 components which is near top marks just finding the reading so difficult the way it's asked in the test.... very frustrating

He has booked PTE now for next test see if their reading is more his level

Fingers crossed

pte is computer based and you are only there for 3 1/2 hours as with ielts you can be waiting up till 7pm to do your speaking test .I've got everything crossed for the 23rd [emoji23]

Yes Ielts was 9am and he was home 6:30pm had to wait 4 hours to do the speaking such a long day

He has booked PTE now for 19th June

I wish you all the luck for the 23rd ☘️

• 1 month later...

I have done the PTE 3 times. I need 79 and I keep getting 76 / 77 in the written!! I have not done it for ages as it got be down a little. I am in Australia visiting family and I am going to give is another try.

Is the Cambridge something new? I didn't know about this one until now.

Thanks

It depends on how good you are with coming up with the content. If he can do the content fairly quick he should be ok.

There are loads of resources on this link - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxSAhiEs5XzvX3lNSnRxc3NWcU0?usp=sharing

There is an exam simulator in this link. It is also timed so that will give you a good indicator.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxSAhiEs5XzvYzE0SDhQYXN6OFU/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

Reading needs lots of practice. Try lots of exercises online and time yourself to make sure you are within the stipulated time. Reading looks easy but I feel is the toughest of all the sections in IELTS. I got 7.5 the first time I wrote IELTS, 8.5 the second time.

• 3 weeks later...
I have done the PTE 3 times. I need 79 and I keep getting 76 / 77 in the written!! I have not done it for ages as it got be down a little. I am in Australia visiting family and I am going to give is another try.

Is the Cambridge something new? I didn't know about this one until now.

Thanks

Yeah my husband failed by 1 point on the reading and it's got us down hasn't booked another test yet...

Cambridge is on the list on the Aus Gov website as an option.. doesn't seem like anyone uses that one

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Quite new to this and need some advice on English test and points scoring etc

I have spent the summer pulling together all of the paperwork that I require for a subclass 189 Australian visa application and have just received my skills assessment back from CAANZ who have approved me under the Accountant (General) 221111 occupation classification.

Having received a suitable skills assessment response I looked at the next stage of the process which will be making the required expression of interest, however, I think I may be struggling to achieve the necessary points score of 75 appears to be what I would need in order to invited under the occupation classification of Accountant (General).  

I am 35 years old (25 points), have 8-10 years of recent employment experience (15 points), have a degree of the recognised standard (15 points) but I appear to be struggling as I think I can only claim 10 points for my level of English.  I sat the academic IELTS back in July for the purpose of the skills assessment and the scores of

9.0 Listening
7.5 Reading
8.0 Writing
9.0 Speaking

were fine for the purpose of the skills assessment but don't seem to be enough for the points scoring requirement.

Is my understanding correct here that I need a better English test score or am I not interpreting things correctly?
If I do need a better English test score, then I am now in a quandary as to what the next best step would be and this is where I'd appreciate some guidance.

Achieving a better points score from attaining a grading of Superior English on the English language test rather than a grading of Proficient English seems like the only solution that I have available to me.  However, if this is the case I am at a loss as to what test I would need to sit?

Do I need to sit a certain test because I am applying for a skilled migration visa or for the purpose of the points requirement can I do any of the tests?  I.e. Is it possible for me to sit the standard level IELTS test rather than the academic level test?

Furthermore, will it cause me any problems if my skills assessment was done on the basis of one test where the level achieved was less than required for the level of Superior English grading and I submit a separate successful test to support my Superior English grading?

Please help!