Puppy farms.

RSPCA NSW have rescued 71 dogs from a puppy factory in shocking conditions 

Some of the animals were found to be dehydrated and none had any environmental enrichment

Some of the mothers that had newborns with them had heat lamps above them others were left to lay in the dark and cold

A 63-year-old animal breeder has plead guilty to 12 counts of animal cruelty after 180 dogs and puppies were found living in shocking conditions.

RSPCA inspectors found the animals on a Marulan property, in NSW's south-east, on July 6, 2016.

The dogs and puppies were found with serious health issues and inspectors seized 71 canines in need of immediate veterinary treatment.

TIME TO IMPRISON OFFENDERS WHO HAVE NO CREDENTIALS WITHIN THE ANIMAL WELFARE AND BREEDING ARENA - FINES DO NOT WORK.

BOTTOM LINE DO NOT BUY FROM SUCH PLACES... 

16 minutes ago, Sunset said:

BOTTOM LINE DO NOT BUY FROM SUCH PLACES... 

Thing is, many puppy farm dogs are sold via pet shops, listings on Gumtree and websites. Even some supposed 'breeders' sell puppy farm dogs as their own. 

Many buyers don't know enough of what to look out for when looking for where to buy a puppy from. Many don't really care either alas. They just want a pup. 

A registered breeder who has a clear online and KC trail of their dogs at show, in competition and breeding line and so on is usually a safe bet. Where you can view the parent(s) and other dogs in their kennels and home. And they often have a long wait list or times between litters and will vet prospective buyers. Those are the people to seek out if wanting a pup. Being prepared to wait up to a year for a litter is normal. 

Guest The Pom Queen

This has been an ongoing discussion here in Queensland at the moment especially with the new rules, I am sure I posted them before, but basically you have to register with the government for a breeder number to sell/give away any pups born after May this year.

Unfortunately it doesn't stop back yard breeders because anyone can sign up and get a number but it will stop multiple litters being born from puppy farmers because the council can keep a check on them.

What does irc me is that within 20km of where we live we have 5 breeders who I would class as puppy farms but are registered with the council and classed as ok, one breeder has 150 dogs >:( with 6 different breeds, they sell to pet shops. Then we have another who has 70 dogs, etc etc.

What we find happens a lot in the Dachshunds is there are only a couple of registered breeders so the market is flooded with back yard breeders, now they argue they aren't BYB but they have no idea if their dogs are related that they breed as they just buy any dog online, they don't test their dogs for PRA and they charge a higher price to what the registered breeders sell theirs for. Unfortunately with the breed it's supply to meet the demand and people are willing to pay over $3000 for an unregistered dog.

I would say the Rottweilers are more controlled, not all of the breeders show, for example I cannot show because of my health but all my breeding dogs (to which I only have one female who is breeding age) are hip scored, Elbows, eyes and mouth checked and JLPP tested. 

Facebook started closing down groups and removing pet posts recently, I don't think they will be able to police it forever it's on such a large scale. Gumtree now have it in their rules if you are selling a dog over $500 you must have a breeder number. It's not perfect but it's a start.

Guest The Pom Queen
4 hours ago, snifter said:

Thing is, many puppy farm dogs are sold via pet shops, listings on Gumtree and websites. Even some supposed 'breeders' sell puppy farm dogs as their own. 

Many buyers don't know enough of what to look out for when looking for where to buy a puppy from. Many don't really care either alas. They just want a pup. 

A registered breeder who has a clear online and KC trail of their dogs at show, in competition and breeding line and so on is usually a safe bet. Where you can view the parent(s) and other dogs in their kennels and home. And they often have a long wait list or times between litters and will vet prospective buyers. Those are the people to seek out if wanting a pup. Being prepared to wait up to a year for a litter is normal. 

To be honest I think breeders need to open up and help new breeders rather than send them away saying they can't have their dog/cat. Yes, I have sent prospective owners away myself if I haven't thought they were right for my cats. However, when these people keep getting refused they either turn to another BYB or they lie and say they want one as a pet and breed from it instead this is how we get so many bad examples of a breed out there. Maybe, as breeders if we guided them and worked with them at the beginning we could prevent a lot of BYB and instead produce educated new breeders.

Puppy farms are totally different they all need closing down. However, how many is too many dogs. If you have large acreage and kennels and are set up professionally then I think it should be a max of 10 dogs per breed, maximum of 2 breeds. 

There is no way on this earth the 150 dogs I mentioned above can get love and attention unless you employ lots of staff.

I had this discussion with a breeder the other day and she said what is I had 200 goats or 500 cows would you bat an eyelid, I agreed but I did say that goats and cows don't need human interaction each day. She didn't think dogs did, but I made my excuses and left because I don't think we would have agreed.