RRV Application - Maiden Name

brock79

Hi,

I've just been granted my RRV, which is great as it's practically our 10th anniversary since we returned to the UK.

So now that mine has been granted I've just submitted an RRV application online for my wife. I completed all the details as I did with mine, I put my wife's correct current married surname and also listed her previous maiden name, I gave her correct passport details in her current married name as well. 

After completing the application I received an email confirming it was submitted but they've listed my wife's maiden name as the applicant. Even when I log into the Immi account it shows my wife's maiden name, even though that isn't her current name. 

Have they made a mistake or are they just using her maiden name because this is an RRV application and her original permanent visa was in her maiden name?

I'm just concerned if it's granted in her maiden name then there may be some issue when travelling? It would be linked to her correct current passport with her current married name anyway so it may not matter. It just seems strange that they've listed the applicant with her previous maiden name and not her current married one, unless as I say, it just has to match the original visa?

Has anyone come across that before? I'd rather not have to contact DIBP about it if there's no isssue. 

Thanks. 

Edited by brock79

Just as an addition to this, as my wife's original visa was in her previous surname, if the RRV is granted and it's still in her maiden name, will we need to get this changed somehow to her current surname or is it fine because the RRV will be linked to her current passport with her current married name?

I'm probably worrying over nothing hopefully.

Thanks. 

Edited by brock79

Ok thanks. Looks like I'll have to contact them then. 

Do you know why they would've listed it in her maiden name? If I go back into her application answers it clearly shows that I've put her married name as her current name along with her passport details and then I've entered her Maiden name in the previous names section, but they've listed the application in her maiden name.

Is it because that's what her original visa was granted as? If it has to stay with her maiden name for that reason how would we get it changed to her correct surname?

Thanks. 

Edited by brock79

8 hours ago, Nemesis said:

The name on the visa should match the name on the passport, and the same name should be the one on flight tickets. Otherwise the airlines will not let her board because they cannot match the booking to the ID. 

In addition to my question in my last post, I assume she'd be fine boarding a flight as the tickets will always be in the same name as her passport as they'll both be in her current married name. 

I presume the issue may only arise when we land at Oz immigration if her visa is in her maiden name and her passport is in her married name, then they may question it.  

I've used the "update us" feature on our online application to ask them about it, hopefully they'll respond or just change the name. We've already uploaded our Marriage certificate and passport with the visa application as well which will confirm the name change since the original visa.

If they don't change it then I don't know what we'll need to do....

Edited by brock79

Well so much for contacting DIBP about the surname issue. Woke up to an email today with my wife's Visa Grant letter! Only took them 24 hours. So that's good.  Unfortunately it's still in her maiden name! It will be linked to her current passport which is in her married name though so I'm sure it must be fine. 

I'll no doubt have to ring DIBP and be on hold for ages just to confirm it though...

Edited by brock79

Managed to finally get this sorted! I emailed client services in Dandenong who granted my wife's RRV this morning and they replied a few hours later with a new Grant Letter etc all in my wife's current married Surname. 

So thankfully that's all sorted and we've both got our RRV's granted! Now to just apply for 2 child visa's...

Edited by brock79
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeMain said:

Good stuff ... just a question as I'm curious: if you've been here at least 10 years, why not get citizenship and remove all the hassle of RRVs?

Cheers

The OP has been away from Australia for 10 years, thus not eligible for citizenship..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickyNook said:

The OP has been away from Australia for 10 years, thus not eligible for citizenship..

My mistake - I read "it's practically our 10th anniversary since we returned to the UK" as being "we haven't been back there for 10 years" rather than "we have been away from Aus for 10 years"!

• Like 1

Yeah we've back in the UK 10 years this month, so we did well to get our RRV's I suppose. 

We have 2 children now though so I need to get full child visa's for them and hope that they are granted within the 1 year we've been given, sure they will be if we gather all docs and medicals etc first and then submit the applications completed.