Suburbs around Brisbane - where to live?

pqaccountant

Hi everyone - first post here,

My wife and I are going through the initial stages of moving to Oz - she's a GP so has to work in a DWS location which are generally in the suburbs. Sadly I'm only a part-qualified accountant so won't be able to transfer my qualification over.

We're wanting to move to Brisbane, ideally living near the CBD however it may be that we need to live half way between central Brisbane and where my wife gets a job. We'd be happy with a 30 drive / bus / train either side of home. 

Obviously there are hundreds of places and I haven't got a clue where to start looking! Can anybody please advise where the the nice areas are (north and south) and where to avoid?

Really appreciate it,

pq

• Like 1

..........lots of choices out there......

..........but will depend on your budget.....

..........also some suburbs have much better public transport than others.....

..........what do you want to be near.....?

...........some have a popular cafe culture.....

..........others more suited to young family's with green space and parks.....

..........there are some  reviews on the realestate sites....

...........realestate.com.au and domain.com.au

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods/brisbane city-4000-qld

..........hopefully someone living in Brusbane will come along soon and give you a personal view of their suburb 

Edited by Tink

1 minute ago, Tink said:

..........lots of choices out there......

..........but will depend on your budget.....

..........also some suburbs have much better public transport than others.....

..........what do you want to be near.....?

...........some have a popular cafe culture.....

..........others more suited to young family's with green space and parks.....

..........there are some  reviews on the realestate sites....

...........realestate.com.au and domain.com.au

..........hopefully someone living in Brusbane will come along soon and give you a personal view of their suburb 

Thanks,

When we first go out there we would get a short-team rental so that we can figure things out for the long-term.

Our budget would be $650 / week rental, at least to begin with - it'd take a while to figure out exactly what our take-home pay will be and how easy it would be for me to find a job. Likely to be up to $800-900 / week if I can get a job too, but we're working on the provision of that I won't find a job right away. I'm a part qualified accountant so will not be able to transfer my qualification and will be applying for junior accountant jobs on the basis of experience.

We'd ideally like public transport as we don't really want to buy a car if we can avoid it.

We'd like to be within 30 minutes of the city. Had a look at apartments in the CBD which looked great, near the botanical gardens. But as I say we may well have to be living in the suburbs due to my wife's job.

Thanks for the web pages I'll have a look.

• Like 1

If working in New Farm it is a lovely suburb so have a look there, or West End another lovely suburb.  Close by suburbs are places like Chaple Hill, Graceville, Corinda, Chelmer. Old Suburbs great cafes, public transport, but not cheap Oh and stay on the west side of Chelmer, Graceville, Corinda, Sherwood. The East side of the train line tends to flood.

Samford again is a nice place so you could look at living out there. Springfield is massive, a fairly new area with a great new hospital. Redbank and Goodna are maybe not such a great place , Have a look on realestate.com you will find homes for sale and rent so it will give you an idea.https://www.realestate.com.au

Another great web site is http://www.whereis.com  If you put in a suburb and press search it gives you all the surounding area, if you click directions and then enter 2 suburbs it gives you a route and the distance and time between the two.  If you just put in one suburb and search on the left is a scroll down box, it gives you a bit of info about the suburb, and below a list of things like schools , medical, etc. Click on any and they show up on your map. 

Samford Village is my dream location. Pricey to buy though and outside of my own budget. Beautiful location; an 8 minute drive to Ferny Grove train station; lovely community; enough shops to keep you going. I spend a lot of time in Samford and would be a fantastic place to live and work. 

P

Hi,

I moved here 3 months ago and live in the lovely suburb of CLAYFIELD. We are renting and have a lovely house for $640 a week.
It is in northern suburb.
Regular trains into and out of central Brisbane take about 20 minutes from Eagle junction. About a 5 minute walk from our house.
There are several good childcare facilities in Clayfield, my 16 month old is in one 2 days a week.
Shops, restaurants, parks all within walking distance.
Highly recommend it.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz