Total rent costs (inc bills etc)

EJMac

Hi All,

After untold ups and downs looks as our move to Melbourne is finally on, as such we are starting to look into budgets for renting etc and was hoping someone may be able to advise broadly what budget to allow on top of rent for rates/utility bills/council tax equivalent etc?

We are looking to spend around $500 a week on rent, is there a rule of thumb of what to allow on top  of this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

You will be able to get a decent 2 bed within 10 kms to the CBD in that.

As regards bills, no council tax (rates). My water, electric, gas internet, mobile phones (2) comes to about $500 a month. 2 bed townhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

25 minutes ago, Melb2016 said:

You will be able to get a decent 2 bed within 10 kms to the CBD in that.

As regards bills, no council tax (rates). My water, electric, gas internet, mobile phones (2) comes to about $500 a month. 2 bed townhouse.

Thanks for this, really useful. I've been looking on realestate website and it seems for $500 you get a 2 bed new build flat, we're looking around the Kensington/Moonee Ponds/Ascot Vale/ Essendon area. I'm conscious that they look nice on the website but perhaps will be pretty small in person. We are hoping to buy but will probably be renting for a year or so.

If you don't mind me asking it would be useful to know how much is the internet and mobile phones of the $500 budget?

Thanks.

Agreed on your locations. I myself live in Kensington- and really like the area. Yes pictures can be deceiving you will need to do the legwork and see a fair few before you see something you like.

Internet + phones (2) = $150 a month.

We're in regional Vic so some costs may vary but -

Mobile phones/internet - I've got an iPhone 6 Plus and husband has a Sony Ericsson with Telstra on contract and for them plus adsl2 home internet 500gb we pay $275 per month all in. Loads of minutes and data on the phones so never pay over that.

We budget $200 a month for gas and electricity combined.

No rates. Our water usage is included in our rent so can't help with that cost sorry