Leaving the country on a 187 visa

Advice needed please. 

I had my 187 visa granted 3 months ago and was on course to apply for my passport a year on. That has now changed and I will have to remain on my PR visa until such time that I can apply for my passport. 

My question is : How long can I leave the country for on my 187 visa? 

I am aware I have the 1 year work commitment. I have spoken with my employer and I will do as much of the work I can remotely and they are happy with that. I want to return to the uk for 6-9months for family reasons. 

With agreement from my employer and having PR. Should I be concerned about not fulfilling my visa obligations for the duration of my stay in the UK? Will any red flags on my visa be waiting for me on my return to Aus? Should I inform immigration of my intentions? 

Thanks for your help. 

Lucy

1 hour ago, LucyKing said:

Advice needed please. 

I had my 187 visa granted 3 months ago and was on course to apply for my passport a year on. That has now changed and I will have to remain on my PR visa until such time that I can apply for my passport. 

My question is : How long can I leave the country for on my 187 visa? 

Hi Lucy, I'm not an expert but as far as I know, the PR visas have a validity of 5 years which allows you multiple-entries into Australia. It is only if you decide to leave after this validity period (5 years from issue), that you'll need a resident return visa which you have to apply for before leaving the country. The only thing about being overseas while on your PR is that there is a possibility the period you're overseas for MAY not be taken into account when calculating your total duration of stay to qualify to apply for citizenship.

I am aware I have the 1 year work commitment.

I think it's a 2 year commitment, not 1.

I have spoken with my employer and I will do as much of the work I can remotely and they are happy with that. I want to return to the uk for 6-9months for family reasons. 

Again, not an expert but as long as you've not left your employer and are still working for them and they are based in regional Australia, you should be fine...I think.

With agreement from my employer and having PR. Should I be concerned about not fulfilling my visa obligations for the duration of my stay in the UK? Will any red flags on my visa be waiting for me on my return to Aus? Should I inform immigration of my intentions? 

Your visa allows you to travel outside the country on it, the only requirements are that you live and work in regional Australia. And immigration does state that you need to show that you made an effort to stay with your employer...which leads me to believe that it is not an automatic cancellation of the visa as long as you show you've made an effort(and your employer doesn't report you as having left before the 2 years are up...and I think it's 2 years from the time of award of the visa).

Thanks for your help. 

Good luck...regards, dv4

Lucy

Edited by dv4
typo

Proceed with caution as you have an obligation on your visa to "remain employed in the nominated position in the regional area for at least two (2) years."

The purpose of the 187 visa is to populate and bring skills to Regional areas of Australia. Working for your employer remotely from the UK is not within the spirit of the visa.